Ideas for Patio boundary
drlynda892
I would like to make a patio off my victorian porch. My neighbor has a waist high white picket fence and with large white pine that has branches that stretch into my yard.

I am looking for suggestions regarding privacy that is attractive and does not require me to put a fence along the length of our property line. Should I go with a natural fence of trees and bushes or something else.

Thank you.
How high do you want it to be? Boxwoods are easy to grow, and will form a hedge. Here's an ideabook about boxwoods:
April 23, 2013 at 1:46pm   
studio10001
Stilted hornbeam makes a good hedge and is period appropriate. If you underplant, keep the white in mind as a backdrop, and include bulbs.
April 23, 2013 at 1:47pm   
houssaon
A few bushes in key positions will give you the privacy you need to block your view of the neighbor and their view of you.

Rose of Sharon grows quite large and would be good in a Victorian garden: Frenchflair. So is viburnum: landscape plants and design.

Column variety of yews and arborvitae are also effective screens: Windsor Companies.

Maybe you can share the expense of a privacy trellis on the property line: Pedersen Associates-Residential-Berkeley, CA.

Good luck!
April 23, 2013 at 2:00pm   
studio10001
I'm rereading this and wondering if shade is a concern. If so, let's add hydrangea to the above list. You don't say how much space you have to fill, so keep in mind that some bushes can reach 10 ft. or so in width, left unpruned, as you decide.
April 23, 2013 at 2:14pm   
Judy M
Viburnum grows very quickly, so good suggestion.
April 23, 2013 at 2:32pm   
another idea, espalier planting

April 23, 2013 at 2:47pm   
Pool upgrade advice please
Pool area looks so old and tired! I do not like pebblecrete...
Help!! Pretty please. I need lots of ideas.
I was given a couple ideas but still unsure if we should...
Need help with Juliet balcony remodel
We have a French door and Juliet balcony over our front...
Jesse's kitchen - what kitchen would look good?
I'd love some ideas for a total kitchen refit, some...
Should sidelights on a front door be the same height as the door?
Imagine a horizontal plank door in the middle. This...