Formica Calacatta laminate countertop
scarletto77
Should I go broke and buy the real thing or is this acceptable for a 900 sq ft cottage in Miami?
Melissa Ennis Design
I honestly don't think you would be happy with Formica. In such a sleek and modern space it would feel quite cheap. Have you looked at a quartz alternative to marble? Sometimes at a better price point and provides the look you are going for.
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 1:43PM
Inspired Interiors by Wendi, IIDA
Hi Scarletto77, I am Miami based as well. Given the humidity here, I always recommend that my clients go with the real stone. Not to mention that it is much higher quality and works so well with our modern interiors and architecture. I can put you in touch with a local dealer and installer with very reasonable prices, if you would like. Just email me at: wendi@inspiredinteriorsbywendi.com
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 1:44PM
Brenda
another vote registered for going with the real thing, unless there is just no way your budget can do it.

I just bought that Nelson bubble light in this photo -- it arrive yesterday! Can't wait to get it hung.
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 1:49PM
scarletto77
This isnt my kitchen its just the counter top from a website...right now this is my kitchen :)
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 1:50PM
Melissa Ennis Design
I think no matter the look you're going for, you will not be happy Formica. Counters are a good investment and I truly think you'll be disappointed every time you look at them!
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 1:54PM
scarletto77
In my heart of hearts i agree that I should just bite the bullet and get the real thing, we'll see hopefully I can work it into the budget. If not Im not Ill get the formica and upgrade later.
3 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 2:05PM
Madeline
Did any one of you designers read the first four words of the posters question: SHOULD I GO BROKE...now try again and answer. (People aren't making these things up about the lack of funds.)
6 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 2:09PM
Taylor Carl
Using Formica countertops will save you a considerable amount of money. That particular color from Formica (Calacatta Marble) is available in what they call their Ideal Edges. They are meant to look more like a true stone. Instead of having a straight cut at the bottom, these edges have a 180 degree wrap. They are smooth on the bottom. This color also has a small amount of texture to it. It's a pretty color for laminate counters, but it doesn't compare to the real thing if you held them side by side. If you really want these to look like a true marble, I would go with no backsplash and an undermount sink. The coved backsplashes on laminate counters give them away. There are several options for undermount sinks in laminate tops now, too.
2 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 2:14PM
onthefence
scarletto - a couple of thoughts and questions from me...

-Have you investigated calcutta? I've seen many pros/cons about the material. Be sure it's something that functions the way you want it to besides just providing the look.

-Does your 900sf cottage warrant the cost? Are there other areas in the kitchen where that $$ would really be better spent - or will you have to scrimp on key areas to get the calcutta?
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 2:14PM
scarletto77
Thanks Madeline, usually I take opinions with a grain of salt anyway. Just wanted to post to see if anyone had seen it in real life or worked with it before. But Ill ultimately do what makes the most sense for me, and thats not to go broke. lol.... Its just the begining of construction anyway so I have time to decide.
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 2:17PM
scarletto77
Onthefence- Ive investigated marble and i know the pros and cons. The only real con for me would be if someone spilled red wine on it, chipping and etching I think add character. The non-emotional side of me says the space dosent warrent the cost, the emotional side says "but I love it...". I can use the $$ in other area better. (We're also gutting the bathroom, and are putting on a new roof)
1 Like   April 23, 2013 at 2:21PM
Judy M
Marble is very prone to etching and staining, so upkeep with lots of sealing will be required.
Have you considered one of the man made quartz materials like Cambria's Torquay?
1 Like   April 23, 2013 at 2:27PM
Ironwood Builders
scarletto77, just a thought...what about going with the Formica now...but using a color that is just trying to be a Formica color and not a faux stone? Later, if the bath, kitchen and roof don't gut YOU....or the tax return comes in higher than expected, upgrade to the marble...
3 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 2:33PM
hazeldazel
Here's a couple things to consider: Marble will stain like there's no tomorrow (juice, wine, tomatoes) and it's super expensive. Also, it really does not fit with the MCM aesthetic if that's what you're going for. Sorry. A much better choice for both issues would be a quartz/engineered counter or a formica in a non-marble or a non-granite design.
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 5:08PM
schurer
For the sake of MCM and budget, what about a bamboo wooden countertop?
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 5:14PM
K.O.H. Construction Corporation
I agree with Ironwood, ppl but Formica and vinyl that imitates stone or tile, always a bad choice. There are plenty of selections other than a wannabe.
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 5:19PM
Théa Morash
I'm having a similar dilemma. I *know* that I am stuck with laminate for budgetary reasons, and until recently was firmly in the imitation-stone-is-not-so-great camp. However, since seeing the Calacatta Marble Formica, I'm not so sure. I was going to go with a dark grey counter (in a white kitchen) and am now leaning toward a much lighter counter; the Calacatta Marble Formica would fit the bill and it looks pretty sharp. I do worry that it'll end up a little...tacky. I'm fully aware that it won't fool anyone, but I do like the look. And maybe in a few years I'll be able to replace it with a stone or solid surface counter...it's a tough call!
0 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 7:21AM
Amy Cali
how large of a slab will you need?
0 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 7:30AM
Amy Cali
Have you considered Craiglist? People are always ripping out perfectly good countertops. You may luck out and find some pieces that could work.
0 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 7:32AM
scarletto77
I actually finished the renovation. I did find Statuario Marble tile on Craigslist. I had the marble itch big time, I used the tile in the bathroom and went with the butcher block for the countertop. Simple "cottage style". The tile guy was going to cut the left over marble for the backsplash in 2x12 strips but we didnt do it, I wasnt 100% on that. Then I sold the left over marble tile for the same price I bought the lot for, so that was good. Good luck Thea! Your totally right Amy, Craigslist is my go-to for sure!
2 Likes   October 23, 2013 at 7:39AM
jacksonbeth
We got our laminate countertops from Web Don..They look phenomenal. We chose from the WilsonArt line, and they look just like granite (http://www.web-don.com)
0 Likes   May 12, 2014 at 3:38PM
Formica quintessa laminate flooring or manning ton laminate
Any opinions weather to use Formica quintessa laminate...
sherfrat
can't replace formica countertop and cabinets. Any refinishing ideas for formica?
kitchen is 25 years old-can'y replace anything right...
mongelli construction
Love this laminate by Formica - Petrified Wood
Have you paired Formica Petrified Wood with lighter...
Lesley Castle
Need Solution for Ugly Laminate/Formica Closet
I just got married and we will be moving into our apartment...
caibolivia
Dining Room Rug Dilemma
Hi, Have always had trouble deciding on a rug that...
lifestylere
Help! What undertone is this tile?
This is the tile in my master bath of the house we...
bvicare
Kitchen Floor "Brazilian Green" Porcelain Tile?
I'm trying to decide if I want to change the tile on...
diyher
PLEASE...help in choosing granite/ quartz countertops and backsplash
Thank you in advance for your help! We have been...
puffnstuff
Seeking comments on countertops and backsplash for our kitchen
We have been waffling between Carrara marble, Statuary...
summitsittin