Please help with front door color.
bonniedig
My house is a center hall colonial. We do not particularly like the colors, but cannot afford to repaint right now. I would like to paint the front door, however am not sure what color would look nice. Also--do I paint the sidelights? The roof is light gray.
mmsherwin
Deep, rich, red!
April 23, 2013 at 2:50pm     
Design Freedom, inc.
i agree with mmsherwin - maybe a wine red or brick red - very dark red. i would stay away from a purply red, because of the light blue trimwork. also, a black door or navy blue door would be handsome. if you have a light blue trim piece that has come off, take it with you to the paint store.
April 23, 2013 at 2:54pm     
houssaon
I have to say, I don't like the blue trim. It emphasizes the dog house dormers, which seem a bit large in scale. I would paint all the blue white. I would paint the ceiling of the porch a robins egg blue and the floor of the porch a light gray. These are classic colors.

An all white house would look great: Crooked Cottage Charm Featured in Maine Home & Design A navy door (with white side lights) is charming: Crisp Architects, a red door: Remodeled front entry, or even a black door: Rustic Canyon New Home.

I would remove or trim back the two bushes in front of the porch. The steps will be grander not closed in by the bushes.
April 23, 2013 at 2:59pm   
scapp
Nice house. Maybe a deep forest green.
April 23, 2013 at 3:00pm     
bonniedig
Thank you for your suggestions. Should I keep the sidelights white or paint them too? We have removed those bushes...I will post a newer picture.
April 23, 2013 at 3:09pm     
bonniedig
I agree houssaon...we do not like the trim color and think the dormers are too large. We wish there were three smaller dormers.
April 23, 2013 at 3:11pm   
Judy M
Powerwash front steps and sidewalk. :)
April 23, 2013 at 3:28pm   
jhperree
If you are keeping the trim color...go black for door.
If changing trim color...just use same color but 2-3 shade darker.

Painting door and side light trim will make door area look bigger, but may not balance upper floor area.
April 23, 2013 at 3:51pm   
jhperree
Paint rails same as pickets.
April 23, 2013 at 3:52pm   
Sharon
Charcoal gray, deep tangerine or a watermelon color. Lovely house.
April 23, 2013 at 3:53pm     
lionnessone
Personally I would color match your front door with your trim. (See photo #three)

If you do not like that idea, then how do you feel about purple or turquoises and paint all your trim white.

[houzz=Sumac Ln - Entry][houzz=Madison][houzz=Lido Tropical]
April 23, 2013 at 4:07pm   
metrotod
Now that the bushes are removed, the lovely brickwork is exposed. I would repaint the blue trim to white. I would remove the storm door. If a screen door is necessary, install a traditional wood screen door and paint to match. Then a nice dark brick-red color for the door and sidelights. This will minimize the bulk of the roof and make your entrance the vocal point. Shutters on the lower floor windows would also add bulk to the bottom of the house. I can't see what material is used for the porch deck, but agree with the above poster that if decking is used it should be painted with a slip-resistant battleship grey color. Finally, freshening the landscape will soften the sharp edges of the house.
April 23, 2013 at 4:24pm   
The Look Interiors, Inc.
Great suggestions. My vote, since you can't change everything right now, would be to paint the trim around your door back to white, since it is a distracting outline, keep the side lights white, especially if you plan to keep your storm door. Paint the door in black satin paint. I would also paint over the contrast aqua blue color on the rails and any other surface that it's painted on your entry area, unifying the color there to give it a more elegant feel. Love that side porch!
April 23, 2013 at 4:34pm   
bonniedig
Thank you for all the great suggestions. The porch flooring was gray. We are in the process of putting down a new floor and adding railings. I will take the advice of painting the railings all white and the trim around the door. That will be easy. We plan to re-paint the entire house in the next two to three years. I am just looking for a quick and inexpensive update. Another random question--do you think we should paint the porch floor or go with a walnut floor and stain it. It will be tongue and groove. Thank you!!
April 23, 2013 at 4:56pm   
The Look Interiors, Inc.
I think you'd be smart to go with the walnut stain, leaving you open for color choices when you do paint your entire home.
April 23, 2013 at 7:04pm     
bonniedig
Thank you very much!!!
April 23, 2013 at 7:15pm   
Judy Blackburn
I suggest you match the pale blue paint used as your trim. Second option is a light canary yellow, which will cheer up anyone knocking on your door! Avoid the reds, they will look too harsh on your gentle and lovely home. Cheers JJ
April 23, 2013 at 7:25pm   
The blue tone of your trim is aqua, a blue-green like sw composed. A deeper turquoise would be the easiest solution - not matched but deeper and stronger in tone - http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6951-cote-dazur/ is a good one to test.
Yellow will make the blue look green and throw everything off - unless you go dijon toned - like sw torchlight http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6374-torchlight/
The dormers won't look so big / wouldn't now if they had used the eave trim on the lower eave also but they left that white - this one too should be consistent. I would not repaint the trim around the door, but leave it to help tie it to the rest of the house. I would not paint the side lights, but I would paint the storm door. You have a lovely house with great proportions - don't sweat that small stuff. You will have time to put your stamp on it.
April 23, 2013 at 8:26pm     
Bonnie
Cherry red! Here are some images that show you how nicely the blue and red would combine....

April 23, 2013 at 9:19pm     
thiago440
Transform Your fireplace.
April 23, 2013 at 9:26pm   
bonniedig
Thank you for the suggestions. I will try some paint samples.
April 24, 2013 at 5:01am   
Need help with front door and garage door paint color. Please Help
I live in a 1950's ranch, and I need help deciding...
Front door and carport door color HELP PLEASE!!!!!
We are replacing all the wood with vinyl siding thisMonday....
Help with front door, shutters & garage door colors please
We are doing a whole house remodel. Painting the brick...
Please help to choose paint color for the front door and garage.
I'm trying to decide what color to choose for the front...
Mirrored Closet Doors
To do or not to do? Are they an outdated look of the...
Need rug idea
Not sure if this rug is right because it is so bold....
Kitchen Backsplash?
We are currently building our dream home right now,...
Looking for some feedback on a floor plan, prior to building.
We are currently in the process of getting quotes from...
Which piece of furniture to buy?!
Hi!! We need to buy a piece of furniture to put the...