bathroom upgrade. Can't decide on design for vanity.
jenna
April 23, 2013
Water damage redo with some upgrades. Old sink was on left (42"vanity). Moving it to the right & dry area to the left. Will be 68"w with offset sink on right. Need sink side to be a shorter depth, due to a wall across from that section. Using a custom cabinet co. Should I have it angled in to accomplish this? Definately want rounded corners on countertop. Trying to get good traffic flow (which I never had in old set-up! Also need more light in room and nice hair care center between sink & vanity area. Toilet will be in corner, to right of sink.
Posting pics of current condition.
Any ideas welcome! Thanks
Design Freedom, inc.
floorplan sketch with measurements of each wall would help a lot! how many people use this bathroom in the morning? young, old, in-between?

is there a roof directly above? perhaps a light tunnel for natural light. we also recommend a separate ceiling light in the shower, and wall lights at eye level on either side of the mirror. the exhaust fan could have a nightlight feature, too.
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 5:11PM
jenna
Sorry, working on a sketch. Wall behind vanity & toilet is 8'7". only 3'11" between that wall and shower wall (in front of sink/toilet area).

8' ceiling & hope to add a window in corner of toilet area, for natural light & air. Was wondering about a light tunnel. Have a low sloped roof line which is very short attic, in this area.

Shower does have a ceiling light, used to be closet. Also have a light above main entrance of room. (pic is looking through door entering room, light above)

Only 2 of us, mid 50s. never have a need for 2 at the sink at once. I have always wanted a nice make up , hair care DRY area.

I like the idea of eye level lights on either side of mirror. Since space is small, would it be too much to put 3? Placing 3rd one in between sink & vanity, for better light for make up? I also like the idea of one large mirror to reflect light, just wonder if it will eat up space for shelving or medicine cab storage.
(I will have a floor to ceiling shelf for towels on another wall)

Thank you for your ideas! I hope to post a sketch soon.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 5:43PM
jenna
Finally drew up a rough drawing for you to see. The shower used to be most of, the closet. Hired a contractor to build & tile it. It is finished, except for door.

Opening up a doorway through load bearing wall, into current dining rm for new closet space.

Trying to design either a left, offset sink or corner sink. I do need hidden storage on right to house electric hair appliances. Would like to keep that right side shallow for traffic flow , around the shower corner.

Also would love any ideas for custom closet! It's an odd space.

Appreciate any ideas. Only style I don't like is ultra modern.
    Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 6:22PM
Design Freedom, inc.
are you sure you have at least 21 inches from the front of the toilet seat to the opposite (shower) wall for knee space?
    Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 7:55PM
jenna
Hmmm, My drawing is probably a little off on the graph paper. I have a book that said 18" was the minimum. Is that the standard? I'm sure we have , at least , that much.

We moved the toilet plumbing over a couple of feet. It's about the same distance we had before. The wall in front of it is original. The shower used to be where the toilet is now, 3'x4'.
    Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 9:06PM
sstarr93
This style of vanity might work for you... angles in and becomes narrower on the right. It's also a floating vanity, which gives the illusion of more space in the room.
    Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 7:55PM
jenna
Wow, that is really different! I thought I had looked at everything. Where did you find it?
    Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 8:04PM
sstarr93
This was a Sketchup component, I think Duravit makes something similar. Here's a top view of the model I made with it, you can see how it optimizes the space:
    Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 8:23PM
sstarr93
I changed this to fit the dimensions of your room, it could look like this:
1 Like    Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 10:11PM
jenna
well the bath reno is almost finished. here's some pics of progress...still need finishing touches but very happy with how it's turning out!
    Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 11:42PM
yonster12345
Beautiful remodeling. We are remodeling and trying to decide in one or two sinks for the master bath... My mom things replacing one if the sink space for make up dry area would be very practical where as the designer we used thinks having two sinks have a great resale value... How do you like the one sink and dry area?
    Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 4:04AM
jenna
Thank you. it's my dream come true! The tower on the right holds my hair appliances & products. I love having a dry area. I never have to dry off the sink before plugging in my hair dryer. It's maximum efficiency for getting ready quickly. Plug-ins are also in cabinet. I could see having 2 sinks if you both work & need to use them at the same time. I only brush teeth & wash face, takes 3 minutes, then he uses that area while I move over to mine. He needs sink much longer to shave. I am very happy with it.
We hope to stay here forever (27 yrs so far) so are building the way we want it. Guess that could be a deciding factor also, if you move often.
Good luck with your project. Don't get talked into something you will regret every day. I believe It's what women really want for their space, when space is limited. Besides it's less sinks to clean, when you don't have a maid.
Let me know what you decide. Have fun!
    Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 4:33AM
yonster12345
Thank you for the reply! can't wait to see the rest of your finished renovation!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 11:54AM
Help! Can't decide on a tiles for bathroom!
First off sorry for the bad picture quality. The vanity...
Nadia V
Can't decide which layout
i am torn between these two layout for my open bedroom...
pilipinoako
Can't decide on floors for a whole house remodel, help?
I love the oiled wood flooring and am considering it...
Arley
Can't decide whether I should get chrome or brushed nickel faucets for bathroom.
I am starting from scratch on our Master Bathroom and...
kaleydog
Can't decide on white vanity or dark expresso....
I have to do complete renovation on 2nd bathroom. My...
chanteuse14
Center island range w wood countertop?
Does anyone have any experience with Wood countertops...
jennlettswatson
Which color for countertops?
This is a model of our kitchen. What color of countertop...
theacarlyle
I need help in decorating ideas for my new bedroom.
Hi Houzzers:-) I need help in decorating ideas for...
ukonska
what is the trend for kitchen granite counterop
I have honey oak cupboards and would like to update...
jlhusak
Help for a bathroom makeover newbie
I am hoping to use Red Dragon granite for my double-sink...
martella3