What color for this house
ethansophia
We need to pick siding, roof, and front door for our new home. We live in a beach community in ny...we have many gray days and long winters so I'd like to stay away from gray. We are going to do shaker in the front and horizontal on the other sides. We have to use vinyl because all other options are just too pricey including hardieplank. What colors do you guys thinks works best with this house? Thx!
By shaker, do you mean cedar shingles?

April 23, 2013 at 6:33pm     
bluenan
These are images of vinyl shakes, they probably have matching siding. Have you talked to a distributor, Certainteed makes a good product and would have samples and be able to help.
M.J. Whelan Construction
Sneads Ferry Renovation
Davids shore getaway
April 23, 2013 at 6:44pm   
ethansophia
It has to be vinyl shakers due to cost. I'm considering a blue like this one or certainteed Cyprus. I can't figure out the style of this house and what color goes with it!
April 23, 2013 at 6:51pm   
bluenan
I love that color. The elevation of your house looks like it would work best with a single color, there didn't seem to be a logical place to add a different color. I like it with the white, just like in your example. It's a similar look to the Sneeds Ferry Renovation I posted above. With white windows, porch detailing and soffits, I think it would be striking. Pink hydrangeas would look really pretty with the blue.
April 23, 2013 at 7:48pm   
My (very successful) real estate broker would say a big NO to blue. It is too personal of a choice if you think that someday you might sell. My other thought…if I can't have an authentic shingle, I would prefer the clapboard look.

White…it's universal and flexible.

April 24, 2013 at 1:04pm   
bluenan
Using a color for a beach house is not only appropriate, but fun. There are many upscale coastal communities filled with colorful houses and I hardly think a deep grey/blue is a risky color. I've seen your other design dilemmas posted and you have excellent taste. I am a real estate agent and I say go for it if that's what you like.
April 24, 2013 at 1:41pm     
According to a national survey conducted by Sears Weatherbeater Paints, the most popular color for a home's exterior is white. The survey found that nearly 40 percent of those polled said they would prefer white as the primary color of their homes exterior. The survey concluded that the least favored colors were yellow, blue and red. White paint can make the outside of a home look more expansive and can bring light into a shady yard. You can accentuate trim and other architectural details on a white house by painting them in another subtle, but noticeable, color.

Can you paint the product your are putting on your house? Just in case you do sell, you do not want to be locked into blue.
April 24, 2013 at 2:46pm   
bluenan
Judyg, this is so funny to me! I've seen this survey posted before on Houzz and I of all people cringe when posters suggest what I consider to be too garish or too bold colors for houses. I absolutely love a white house, they're my favorite and my idea books are full of all white houses. I guess because of the beach location I have a differing opinion on this one.
April 24, 2013 at 3:29pm     
My ideabooks, too, bluenan.
April 25, 2013 at 8:48am   
Judy M
Check out the certainties colors Savannah Wicker or Desert tan with white trim and charcoal roof.

Why not take ride in a beach community and see what colors appeal to you.
April 25, 2013 at 9:06am   
Judy M
Darn phone should be CERTAINTEED.
April 25, 2013 at 9:07am   
Hey, girl, what color did you choose?
May 5, 2013 at 2:28pm   
ethansophia
I still haven't decided! I can't make up my mind...it's terrible
May 17, 2013 at 6:16pm   
Rockin' Fine Finish
what colors do you like? theres been many suggestions but what are you leaning towards
May 17, 2013 at 6:23pm   
ethansophia
I'm all over the place... Certainteed Cyprus, sterling gray, or natural clay. So basically no clue. I really do not like vinyl siding but everything else is too expensive.
May 17, 2013 at 7:10pm   
Rockin' Fine Finish
Really have you thought long term though are you planning on staying here or selling in the next 5 years. Vinyl will decrease the value of the home and within 7 years its already faded
May 17, 2013 at 7:13pm   
bluenan
It isn't possible for many homeowners to choose more expensive materials, no matter how many suggestions and "warnings" posters make urging them to do so. There are high quality vinyls that hold up well and cheap vinyls that don't. It's easy for posters to sit at their computers and spend other people's money. Let's respect ethansophia's repeated statement that vinyl is their budget option and be happy for them that they will have a lovely beach home to enjoy for many years.
May 18, 2013 at 5:35am     
Rockin' Fine Finish
@ bluenan I understand the financial situation I am simply advising on some of the cons I am not advising her not use vinyl I am definitely not spending their money they can make their own decisions I just want homeowners to be informed before making a long term decision .
May 18, 2013 at 7:38am   
Chroma Design
May 18, 2013 at 10:50am   
ethansophia
Thank you bluenan. We lost our house to hurricane sandy. Building a new house was not in our plans, we are still fighting insurance, and doing the best we can. I do appreciate the other recommendations but as previously stated... It's just not possible. Thanks
May 18, 2013 at 12:33pm   
bluenan
I thought I had read in another dilemma of yours (the 9" ceiling in the kitchen- I suggested using the extra space above your cabinets for beams) that you had lost your home to Sandy. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and the many others who have found themselves in a similar situation. We don't have hurricanes where I live, but tornadoes are a real threat, and so far we've been fortunate to only have fences blow down and the side of our barn blown out. I can't even imagine what it must be like to lose your home...
May 18, 2013 at 1:02pm     
Living Rm- help - me to redo but must be dog friendly
My furniture has to go except for the piano. Windows...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
How do you accessorise your bed?
Some people love piling on cushions on their beds,...
Can't decide on materials for deck
We are in Ca and going to install a deck in our back...
Asbestos Tile? What did you do with yours?
There is asbestos tile in two rooms of our home over...