How to decorate the living room??????????
zainab74
April 23, 2013
I am soooo stuck with my living room. It is the bane of my existence. Its the first thing you see when you walk in the house...but I don't know how to furnish it. There is no lighting so I bought the big lamp ( I want to keep it), and I kind of want to keep the sofa, but WHAT ELSE???? Any suggestions????????????????? I love eclectic mix of vintage and modern.
sandy3877
Start with an area rug! :)
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 8:43PM
jansgirl
A large area rug that you love that has a bit of the ?"orange" from your sofa. That will dictate everything else in the room.
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 9:25PM
jansgirl
..then some more comfortable chairs, tables, lamps and drapes!!
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 9:26PM
Fratantoni Luxury Estates
I think you should put this clock where the mirror is located on the 4th picture!

Available at: http://fratantonilifestyles.com/?product=bond-street-18
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 9:33PM
Angelina Vick
I do think the room is asking for an area rug.
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 9:47PM
Helga Simmons Interior Design LLC
I think we have to re-do our pictures. They are too klunky. Can you take the frames off or just put very thin frames on?
Are two of these photographs the same size, I mean the vertical ones?
If yes, we are going to re-hang them.
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 9:53PM
Helga Simmons Interior Design LLC
On picture 2, the left wall where you have one picture and the black chair, you need two comfortable chairs with a small pattern. Depending on the rug. If you get a rug with a floral pattern, then get the chairs with a geometrical pattern, or the other way around. All new purchases will have to incorporate the existing colors.
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 9:56PM
Helga Simmons Interior Design LLC
Side tables, table lamps and drapes, like jansgirl said.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 9:58PM
sandy3877
a lot of great suggestions, but no one has asked her if she has a budget for decorating. If it is a small amount \, you may want to start hitting yard sales and salvation army. You can get used furniture and decorative items that you can either spruce up yourself, or try DIY projects. You cant believe some of the things I have done, funky, fun things as well as refinishing an old dresser down to bare wood, then stained and put a coat of urethane. Start a folder, just rip out pics, colors or sayings, and build from there. The more creative you are, the less expensive it will be. And personally, it wont look like a showroom. You will have unique things that you can be proud of yourself for making!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 4:46AM
stueerb
Love entrance doors ... change out the small rug with a more suttle color and one that iis a little bit larger. Put your money into a nice large area rug ... floral with colors to match sofa and one that will add more colors to your room! Looks like you could angle your sofa so when you walk in the entrance way you will see an inviting area of your home! Pictures will need to be rearranged and possibly arranged on one wall. When you move sofa to angle use corner to left ... not corner wall with windows ... leave the window area open now. Place the large vase on one side of sofa. Most important anchor sofa, table and sitting chairs with a nice large rug! Good luck! Oh more sofa pillows!
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 5:08AM
1 Like    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 5:32AM
home redesign studio
what is your focal point from the sofa, are you looking at a fireplace, tv set, window? If there is none of those things I suggest you first move the furniture away from the walls. For now, face your sofa towards the main wall under the lamp, put one chair on each side of it, coffee table in front, -face the pictures. This will create a more intimate sitting area. When you can, add a rug,
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 5:37AM
home redesign studio
Behind the sofa, use that area as the enterence. Add a console table, mirror on wall.
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 5:41AM
zainab74
Wow... Lots of suggestions- thanks! Opposite the sofa is a recess in which I have hung art from Bombay.
I'm a little weary of florals- I want to keep it contemporary- and ecclectic, I had thought about a cowhide as the rug... Thoughts??? The frames are of my wedding and the baby sketch of my son- sentimental... My brother sketched them.
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 6:34AM
stueerb
Understand and wonderful ... ecclectic is good .. so go with the black and some color of sofa! Have fun with it!
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 6:41AM
Angelina Vick
I think would be an interesting addition to your space, since you are aiming for eclectic. He has a lot of different images in frames like this.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 12:13PM
carolins
Hi zainab74,
you need a couple of things to make this a more comfortable space:
- a rug (cowhide could be good, you could even put a cowhide on top of a jute or sisal rug )
- two more comfortable and inviting chairs

And once you have those things sorted, you can start looking for other things like a floor lamp, accent table(s), table lamps, pillows...

You could pull your sofa away from the wall.

Could you post photos of the other side(s) of the room? Just attach them to a comment under here somewhere.

And you can browse houzz for ideas. Start an ideabook and collect photos that you like.
Here's a start, I've searched for orange sofa: http://www.houzz.com/photos/living-room/orange-sofa-
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 12:36PM
zainab74
Carolins- thanks... I'm attaching more pics as well as my dining room to give you an idea of my aesthetic.
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 7:08PM
zainab74
Some more pics
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 7:09PM
zainab74
I'm open to suggestions for improving the dining room- I do want to change the chandelier
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 7:10PM
berala2012
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 7:18PM
carolins
zainab74, what a gorgeous dining table. Beautiful wood.
Your light could be larger and you need a couple of more lamps on the console table against the wall (I'm guessing here, can't even see if there's a console table haha, bit dark :-))

Have you started an ideabook? I forgot to look. But it really helps you to get ideas of what you like.

And I don't know if it's possible to add recessed lights in the niche that has your large piece of art in it? It could use some light too.

I think the pictures in the hall are too small and too far apart. I was thinking that you could perhaps put the large ones that you have in your living room all along the hallway. You could combine them with smaller ones and make a gallery wall...

Elle Decor Showhouse 2010
Staircase
Hanging Picture
CrystalTech - [ Roger Hirsch Architect ]
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 7:06AM
outletsart
You can make your home more Artistic.I hope this can help you to make your home more beautiful. Weclome to my site: Outletarts .com
    Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 1:55AM
How do i decorate this living room in a modern style?
Help! We just moved into this house and i need ideas...
Lupita de Santiago
lreyzelman
First Christmas: help on how to decorate modern living room
This will be our first Christmas and I'm having a hard...
Yeli
How would you decorate this living room?
What would you do to this living room???
msnedd
Help me choose some nursery details
Our first baby, a boy, will be here in April! The biggest...
bonnieanneryan
The tv?
No clue where to put the tv
Lexi Brookshire
Bedroom/Bathroom Redecorate ideas Needed!
Need to paint bedroom and bathroom....want to use leopard...
maryb56
Which piece of leather furniture to switch out?
I want to break of this matching set of furniture,...
Lisa
Need home exterior improvement ideas
Houzz idea submit 1/14/15: We bought a new house...
magnificenthome123