Where to place our Grand Piano?!
Lynell D'SylvaApril 23, 2013
We are building an open concept design and downsizing but now I don't know where to place our Grand Piano in the Family/Dining Room space? It's 64" long and 58.5" wide at the keys....in front of the stairs at the widest point of that space is the only place I could think of but could disrupt the entry flow........HELP I don't want to get rid of it : (
HERE Design and Architecture
Without a dimensioned drawing, all I can say is that it needs to be located away from any sources of heat or weather.
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 9:04PM
Lynell D'Sylva
Here is the floor plan.
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 9:10PM
Lynell D'Sylva
I think the only place it could fit comfortably is right in front of the stairs by the dining area where it opens up to 20' wide but will that disrupt the entry flow? Then what size dining table can I place comfortably in that space. I originally wanted to put a table for 10 there but my piano is challenging my layout design.
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 9:12PM
HERE Design and Architecture
I can't quite read the text in the image but I think you mean the space immediately above the stair on the plan? If so, I would check with your piano tuner and ask him/her whether that would be too close to the kitchen. Alternatively, if North is really 'up' on the drawing, then maybe the Northeast corner of the room with the fireplace in it would work? Again - check with your piano tuner.
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 9:19PM
Lynell D'Sylva
Thanks for you suggestions and time. I appreciate it.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 9:20PM
HERE Design and Architecture
No problem :)
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 9:26PM
Lynell D'Sylva
I did this by scale.....what do you think about where I think the only safe place to put the piano is.........
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 10:41PM
HERE Design and Architecture
Can't tell from the image (which is about 1"x2" on my screen) whether the piano is touching the stair at the south, which is where I would think that the pianist would sit? I think that they are longer than they are wide - if you turn it 90º, will that allow the pianist to sit at the east or west side and give you more room? I can't read the dimensions but it looks just a little tight between the piano and the person sitting at the south end of the table as you have it.

Re: the table - is it always open for ten people, or is it adjustable? As an occasional condition, presuming you have left room for the musician, it's probably ok - as long as you check with your tuner to be sure that the proximity to the kitchen isn't going to harm it.

Might you gain some space by rotating the piano clockwise, so that the place where it curves in is facing 11:00 or 12:00 o'clock instead of about 10:00 o'clock?
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 7:18AM
HERE Design and Architecture
Also - looking at this image again, I think your sofa may be too big? it looks like the seat depth from front to back is about 5 or 6 feet?
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 7:22AM
Lynell D'Sylva
So glad you caught that with both the piano and sofa. I fixed it.....had the wrong numbers in the fields. Here is the correct sizing -------I also angled the piano a bit so that the curve allowed for seating at the end of the table when needed and it also gave it better placement from this view as opposed to just being right up against the stairs.

If you click on the pic it should open up to a larger screen.....fixed that too : )
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 8:42AM
HERE Design and Architecture
Hm - the pic doesn't open for whatever reason - maybe it's a firefox issue? In any case, it looks better to me, clearance-wise. I think your piano still looks wider than is normal? You also seem now to have miles of room in the living area. I wouldn't get rid of the piano just yet :)
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 4:57PM
Lynell D'Sylva
Thanks again! I need the reassurance that we may not have to part with it : )
1 Like    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 5:59PM
Need help designing around piano and fireplace
20 x 20 sunken living room with rock fireplace (no...
Vicki Ewart
I'm thinking of moving my baby grand to the d.r. Should I?
We don't use the dining room and the fold down cherry...
miedrichluo
New house, new piano, same old question - where to place the piano?
Just moved (thus no art hung yet and boxes still sitting...
karen038
Do you have a piano at home?
If so, where have you placed it? Have you found just...
Need suggestions of how to make piano and TV work
My home in a 1917 Craftsman and has great details and...
ricepuddinghouse
Need advices on new home remodeling
Just bought a 50+ years old house. Want to modify the...
judien
new bedroom
I am lost!! Whats the best layout for this room to...
fozany
Ideas for this building
We just bought 18 acres and tucked in to all the oak...
jenakm33
Will a 30 inch wall oven fit in a 30 inch wide cabinet?
I would like to purchase the new 30 inch professional...
gharris8
New Condo/Apartment - layout advice!
Hi all, Looking for some advice on how we can arrange...
Andra Maria