Countertop and blacksplash
bethtrn
We are remodeling an old farmhouse kitchen. The walls will be a light yellow and the "simply made" cabinets are antique white. We will have white appliances. I have picked blue pearl granite ( very dark navy ) that has silvery flecks scattered throughout. Dilemma: not sure if we should use a backsplash, and if so, what material and color( tiles or granite ) should be used. We also have a small kitchen island. I plan to put honed whitish marble on this. Thank you for any advise you can give.
Stoneshop
Hi bethtrn,
It sounds like it will be a very lovely space! Using tile is more popular than using a granite backsplash. Since it is farmhouse style, you could always go with a subway tile backsplash, which is a very classic and timeless choice. You could do porcelain, travertine, or even marble tiles in the 3" x 6" subway shape.
April 24, 2013 at 8:42AM   
bethtrn
Thank you very much for your comment. Would you recommend a small "lip" ( I think this is what it is called ) of the blue pearl granite for a backsplash , and then connect that with white subway tile or would you use the white subway tile in the place of a backsplash? I did not know that marble comes in a 3x6 shape. is this something readily available? I would consider that since the small island will have a marble countertop.
April 24, 2013 at 10:57AM   
Stoneshop
I would just use all tile for the backsplash. Mixing a 4" granite backsplash with the tile is not as clean of a look, and it also makes the tile look like an afterthought. Marble 3" x 6" tiles should be pretty easy to locate. We use them all the time. Visit your local tile shop--they should be able to get some for you. I think that it would be beautiful with your marble island.
April 24, 2013 at 11:12AM     
0825sam
You should be able to find a marble subway tile at most tile stores. For more budget friendly, you can try Lowes - they have a nice venetino subway tile which would work with a carrara slab if that's what you have on your island (I have that combo in my master bath shower).
April 24, 2013 at 11:41AM   
bethtrn
I can't begin to tell you all how much I appreciate your comments. I do think adding the granite backsplash would not look as neat, now that I read and think about the end results. I will definitely look for subway style marble for the backsplash!! :>)
April 24, 2013 at 11:48AM     
What color rug and curtain should I get?
I have grey sofas, and navy wall! I want it elegant,...
Need design help with siding, roof and brick
We recently took hail damage and have to replace the...
Need help picking paint / shutter color for tudor house
Hello! Looking for some advice on our 1929 tudor...
Curb appeal help!
We bought this house last fall. We love the corner...
Cobalt Blue Toaster
Hello All My lovely wife and I are in the process...