Help Sprucing up fireplace
Lauren L
April 24, 2013
I just bought my first home earlier this month! We have painted in the living room (Benjamin Moore Weimaraner) which I love. The fireplace is a bit of a challenge though, because it has a busy stone pattern, and the previous owners painted the wood mantel the same color as the stone (and also the walls previously). Also, the mantel currently has cut off corners, giving it a half hexagon sort of shape.

What can I do to make this better? I was thinking maybe:

1. Paint the mantel white to match the trim
2. Sand and stain it
3. Gel Stain over the existing paint

I also thought about adding corbels or building it out with trim pieces, etc.

Thanks in advance! (Also does anyone recommend a natural stone cleaner? It needs a good scrubbing as well).
Brenda
I would look to the casegood pieces you are bringing into the room. If you have stained furniture, then I would stain the mantel. If you have white painted pieces, then I would paint it white. Alternatively, if you have black painted furniture, I'd paint it black.

And I don't think the stone pattern is too busy. Once you get furniture into the room, I think you are going to learn to love it!

Congrats on your new home! You are going to love having a fireplace -- I wouldn't buy a house without one after having had one for the past 20 years.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 7:29AM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Lauren, judging from your opening statement it seems you are bothered by the "busy" pattern of the stone. If that's your primary concern, I would focus on "calming" it down. There are grout stains that can match the color of the stone so you can tint it so the pattern is less "busy" to the eye. If you dont like the stone or its color and are looking for a more drastic approach, you can plaster over the stone to give it an "old world" look. ( Picture an old "white washed" stone cottage in Ireland)!
Whichever way you decide to go I think keeping the mantel "as-is" draws less attention to the fireplace.
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 7:33AM
Lauren L
Thanks Brenda! We have a light "Parmesan" colored sofa, but then all of the wood tones are a black brown. That could be interesting to have a darker mantel.

Kevin - I may have mis-worded a little bit. While yes the stone is busy, I do like it, I just don't feel like it is easy to figure out what can go with it. Thank you for the suggestions though.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 7:58AM
Studio 810 Design/Build
Fundamentals first, the Mantle is to small needs more mass. Without knowing the style of trim and your goals I cant be more specific but a wider heavier mantle would help a lot. If you had the budget, legs and a surround would transform this into a focal point that would make the room.
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 8:07AM
How to spruce up an unsightly fireplace?
I live in a rental and my fireplace is ugly. Bricks...
alicia_wang
Need help to spruce up the exterior of our new home.
We should be moving into our new home in the fall....
laybar
Sprucing up the dining room
I just bought a dining table for the new home and am...
mish8789
Need help in sprucing up the exterior for more curb appeal
We are looking to spruce up the exterior of our house....
ladyminmt
Help to spruce up living room
I live in a rental and would like some ideas to spruce...
chantelfrancis
Need ideas for front of house.
We want to change the design front of our little house...
Lucy Fruhwirth
Need Help picking a backsplash
Hello, I can't seem to commit to a backsplash. Please...
challenge34
coffee table suggestions
So I love my new sofa but not certain what type of...
kamila23
Empty space
What do I put next to the couch in this informal sitting...
valcaro
Room too blue?
Hi everyone, I've started re-doing my living room/dining...
dscar81