Kitchen cabinets
michelle9580
April 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
ok...torn between choosing cabinets:
either sorrento (by decor) which are frameless venner plywood cabinets which will be glazed.....
or amish cabinets inset painted white no glaze but are plywood boxes and particle bottom........pretty much same price...but which is better....? i know frameless adds a little space in the cabinets and inset takes away...but which looks better and which will last longer?? appliances are all thermador....and we are also debating panals or no panals...as we have two dishwashers, double oven, 48"fridge/freezer, 48" range top, microdrawer.....the picture that is a little blurry is sorrento...the other is amish.

kitchen: i guess we will go with amish inset cabinets....along with butlers pantry
what about laundry rooms: would the framless work?
master bath?
kids baths?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I personally believe that face frame cabinets are better and will last longer. We just see too many frameless that don't hold up after being loaded down with dishes.
April 24, 2013 at 9:36am     
stephaniebauerle
Warning about frameless...have been discontinued by several major retailers because hinges mounted in particle board aren't as durable. Hubby is construction engineer and squashed frameless immediately. Tend to come out frequently, and doors fall off. I had one hit me in the head. We are going with hardwood front frames, and particle boxes due to this issue.
April 24, 2013 at 9:37am     
PRO
Sense of Space
It really depends on the look you like best. The boxes are built out of the same material (3/4" plywood) and are equally durable. The space "wasted" with face frame cabinets is negligible and they're better suited for a traditional home. Full overlay frameless cabinets are easier to access and are better suited for a contemporary design setting.
April 24, 2013 at 10:24am   
PRO
John D. Swarm Designer KCE
Which Amish??? I worked with many who were not extremely up to date on finish materials and techniques.
Make sure if painted they are a conversion varnish top coat , no lacquer base products they don't hold up to today's kitchen abuse...

Good Luck

John
April 24, 2013 at 10:29am