Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marys76

Gable vs Hip vs Dutch Roof

marys76
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I was hoping to grab the attention of a couple builders and/or architects. I trying to figure out some design/cost trade-offs for a couple roof options. For a 28' gable end, a 24' long roof, and a 12:6 pitch, what is the typical cost trade-offs when upgrading to a Dutch-Roof, or a full hip roof?

I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to solve the problem of two gables joining at a corner. It is rather unsightly...

I've contemplated changing the front gable to a 12:8 pitch for better appeal, and then doing a dutch gable or full hip on the left roof line.....

Attached are the front elevation and floor plan to give you an idea of what I'm up against.

Comments (10)

• marys76
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I attached the wrong floorplan. Here is the correct one.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    make a bump-out in the office and have the gable roof over the bump-out.
  • marys76
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Probably the cheapest, and most common option. This would simply require a little more lumber for the cantilevered office, and not really change much of anything.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Mary, from a builders standpoint, I'm not getting the aesthetic problem of the two gable ends meeting in the corner. I do see a problem dealing with rainwater, regardless of a bump out in the office. Shifting the bump out over two feet to the right and bumping out two feet puts more gutter in front of that valley!
  • PRO
    Archevie Design
    11 years ago
    Can you do a longer overhang on the office gable and carry that section of roof all the way to the back? You'd want to repeat the detail on the other side of the house. There's nothing aesthetically wrong with what you've got except there will be a large area of the roof to drain and no place to put a gutter. This detail is a nice way of breaking up a big flat surface of a gable end and also gives you plenty of room to attach a gutter. If the overhang is a foot, go 16". I'll attach a sketch.
  • PRO
    Archevie Design
    11 years ago
    Oh, yeah, I'd extend the overhang of the front gable some also - a foot would be nice. Could you add some brackets to the front for pretty? You may need to add lookouts (or outlooks) to support a longer overhang - depends on your location - your builder should know what I'm talking about. And you know, thinking about a hip on the study doesn't work unless you bump the study out - you're in the same plane as the front to back gable. I like the gable - just make the small adjustments to the overhangs to make it work.
  • marys76
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the ideas... I will make a change and post. I was considering a Dutch gable on the left roof to create the needed channel for a gutter. Extending the gable would be the cheapest and easiest...
  • PRO
    Archevie Design
    11 years ago
    That's funny - I had to look up "Dutch Gable" not a term we use out here, I guess. And I have them on my house! Yes, that's the idea for the big front to back gable. If you could go back 1 or 2 trusses before putting in the gable end, they look really nice. Whatever you do, do it more than once so it's integrated with the design.. Good luck!
  • marys76
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I decided to do the following...
  • PRO
    Archevie Design
    11 years ago
    Hey, I like that. Avoid the problem altogether!