OMG! Its so empty
leakysma
Please tell me how to decorate my living room. Do I keep the same pillows? What kind of furniture can I get to make it look full? Color scheme? any help would be GREAT!
shelleyuk
Well it's certainly a blank canvas.

In an ideal world what style do you like?
April 24, 2013 at 12:28PM   
It's a Beautiful World!
For art and color inspiration you can check out our Houzz page. Enjoy and best of luck decorating!... Raisa
April 24, 2013 at 1:15PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
Are you keeping the loveseat? If so I think you could use a pair of matching chairs and a 3rd chair as more of a accent one. I would find a rug you love with several colors and start from there. The sofa should go with most all colors. Will there be a TV in the room? The room needs a focal point of some kind. Tables ,lamps maybe something with height like a pair of book cases. It would help to see all the walls in the room with more Pics.
April 24, 2013 at 3:10PM     
burgandywine
I'd try a soft avocado green on walls to pick up the pillow accent colors, then add some big plants to warm things up. Maybe a big mirror over the couch to reflect more light from the window. I'd look for some square cube style end tables and an occasional chair in modern lines to make a seating group next to the sofa - any color that would accent the walls, maybe a soft orange or blue. I like the idea of a colorful rug in a modern style.
April 24, 2013 at 3:24PM     
April 24, 2013 at 3:35PM   
scapp
That is a loveseat not a couch I do believe. It looks too small for that wall. That wall could use a low chest of some sort-not too small. With a lamp on it and a picture of some sort over it. If you are are going for casual large framed posters can work. Can't see the whole room but I would pull the loveseat from the wall and place the short end facing the wall (not against the wall )and put two chairs next to the chest. forming a conversation area. Don't know what is on the other wall. Personally I would pick the "beigeish tone from the pillows. You may become tired of the avocado more quickly. Also, the large pillows take up seating space.
April 24, 2013 at 3:44PM     
LB Interiors
For color inspiration, I suggest starting with any of the following ... window fabric, pillow, an upholstered chair, area rug, or artwork . You can build an entire room from just choosing one of these items. As you shop, take note of anything that captures your attention quickly. That could be just the beginning of your wonderful room.
April 24, 2013 at 3:45PM   
cooney124
Your couch is a neutra color, so start with a rug that you love and work from there. Have fun!
April 24, 2013 at 3:47PM   
cooney124
Neutral color :)
April 24, 2013 at 3:47PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
If your having trouble on deciding colors look to your closet for your favorite colors or anything that has colors you like. It doesn't have to be a piece you will even use in the room. A photo from a magazine or on line. You can always change out the pillows on the sofa. I do like the Teal/ turquoise in the pillows with the avocado too. Those colors look great with gold and even a touch of red. as a accent.
April 24, 2013 at 4:00PM     
leakysma
Kevin Retired Decorator, do you have any examples of the matching chairs youre speaking of in your comment? I will have a tv that will go on the opposite wall, looking for a tv stand as we speak
April 25, 2013 at 6:15AM   
leakysma
@scapp, i like that idea of a "conversation area." What kind of chairs are you referring to?
April 25, 2013 at 6:16AM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
Really any pair of chairs will work. and you have room for 3 chairs so I would have 2 the same. If it's a TV area go for comfort. They even have recliners now that are stylish. Lazy boy recliners are great. Or just chairs with arms that fit your body well. What colors do you think you want to go with? Style? You might want to look though living rooms on houzz to get ideas. What budget do you have to work with?
April 25, 2013 at 11:26AM   
keebaj
Pictures could be a huge improvement, along with some floor vases. A few small tables would also improve the space.
April 25, 2013 at 12:01PM   
scapp
Lazy Boy does have some very nice non recliner looking recliners for watching TV. Go to their site for some ideas to see what we are talking about. As to conversation chairs-it depends on your style preference and the size of the room. If the room is small nothing too bulky-maybe wood and fabric. If you have room something upholstered. KRD is right on with his thoughts.
April 25, 2013 at 1:11PM   
I see you've started an ideabook...and look what I found there: one of my favorites.

Now don't go rushing out and buying the first things you see to fill it up. Take your time, save more pictures to your ideabook, then look for the common denominator in all of them. From the three pics you've saved, I'd say you lean toward neutrals and like clean lines in your furniture. And your loveseat pillows seem to have brown and ivory and a little teal, so perhaps this is the direction your color palette will go. You might start by looking for area rugs and when you find the perfect one, use it to make the rest of your furniture choices.

Live in the room for awhile to get a good sense of how you'll use it. It looks to be large, so perhaps you want to have one area for watching TV, another for conversation. I'm going to suggest you need a proper sofa--that loveseat really is too small for that wall--but wait to make such a major purchase till you have more direction in colors and style. Otherwise I fear you'll end up with a bunch of mismatched furnishings and no way to make it cohere.
April 25, 2013 at 2:07PM   
Maybe one of these is your rug:
April 25, 2013 at 2:22PM   
scapp
The bottom one has good colors for the couch.
April 25, 2013 at 2:23PM   
anne dee

this would look very nice and no one would need to say OMG! it's so empty.
rather, wow your place is gorgeous :)
April 25, 2013 at 2:37PM   
Angelina Vick
Hi leakysma, great space! That's going to be fun to decorate, although I bet it's a little intimidating to be starting at almost zero.

I think you should consider exactly what the function of the space is. Will you have a tv in here? How many people would you like to comfortably seat?

Once you know your function...next consider what kind of colors you like. Defining your style...you will get great feedback for decor ideas. =)

I am an artist...with a lot of different styles of work. Feel free to check it out www.angelinavick.com

Meanwhile...here are a few ideas.
April 25, 2013 at 2:37PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
The loveseat looks new could you get a matching one? then add a pair of chairs. Maybe in the turquoise color of the pillows and a super plush off white shag rug, A carpet remnant that could be bound would be budget friendly. Add gold color walls or a accent wall to warm up the space.
April 26, 2013 at 5:00PM   
Angelina Vick
Some more ideas for art.
April 26, 2013 at 5:07PM   
Help me decorate my new home!
My husband and I are building a home and I am starting...
Bedroom paint colors
I am painting the master bedroom and bathroom. I would...
Need residential design and construction detail assistance
I am building a new prairie style bungalow with 10'...
need help with outdoor kitchen
L shaped outdoor kitchen need ideas 12ft 5 in long...
Red rug w/ blue walls? Help I'm mess at this...
We have medium hickory colored laminate floors (see...