Waiting to close on our new home and looking for furniture layout ideas...
nina811
April 24, 2013
This living is a little longer than it is wide and 'm sure about furniture placement. I haven't purchased the furniture yet. Thinking of a couch against the bay window with an area rug and ottoman or table and a chair next to the fireplace. Unsure what to do with the area near the stairs. Thinking a side table and chair along with a bookcase. The furniture in the pics isn't mine, it was the previous owners. Any ideas??
nina811
**I'm UNSURE about furniture placement
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 3:05PM
Will you be watching TV in this room? If so, I'd probably place the sofa on the wall by the stairs with the TV on the opposite wall. I'd place a chair beside the sofa, facing the stairs. Then I'd create a reading area in the bay window with a chair or two and have a bench in front of the FP. I think you'll have space on the staircase wall for bookshelves. It would also be possible to have the TV on the staircase wall and bookshelves near the entry door.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 3:17PM
Hi Nina - thanks for inviting us into your lovely new home. Putting the couch in front of the bay unfortunately makes the room look longer and narrower.

What is the width of the room - I'm just going off the rug, but it looks like it may be 11 -12' at least? What if you floated the sofa with its back to the entry with a sofa table behind, so that a pair of matching angled chairs could happen centered on the bay around a side table and then the chair by the fireplace makes a real seating group for 5 easily but is kind of open to the dining when you have large gatherings? I believe the room will look a lot bigger this way - your sofa can sit with its back where there are walls on both sides. The room seems to accomodate even a 7' sofa with room to walk on both sides. Is your sofa longer than that?

This wouldn't really be centered on the fireplace, but it isn't really centered on the room.

In that front corner, opposite the entry, I still see bookcases wrapping the corner, and a bench under the stair. Or you might prefer a writing desk as your sofa table, with lamps and a pretty upholstered chair that can always be brought around. That and the bench add still more seating when you have a large gathering.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 3:30PM
nina811
Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate the awesome tips. The living room size is 19x13
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 4:29PM
nina811
**Also, I'd be changing the paint colors and getting new furniture. Just wasn't sure what to get. :)
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 4:31PM
nina811
Carolyn, yes we'd like to a have a tv in this room. We were thinking of placing it above the fireplace, but it would depend on what the furniture layout is.
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 4:55PM
No area rug by front door. This room cries for a sectional. With a left hand chaise. Then put 2 armless chairs next to each other. Across from window. Sectional could be leather, contemporary . Chairs in a contemporary print. With a lot of color. Sec in solid light gray, is a big color now.i would paint all rooms incl. staircase wall one color . I like Mink by lowes, it's a deep gray. All trim and doors very bright white. Just panels on each side of window in white.on staircase wall a nice big ( should go length of wall) chest. Get something funky, or in color like red.put books frames and candlesticks on it. Fill in space by fireplace with 2 big silk palms. Wall where long table is now put a big 6 x7 oil contemporary painting. Area rug needs to be 8 x10. Use a gray black white graphic design.check Internet .a round big mirror over firepl. Anyway there is empty looking space fill with silk plants. A glass and wood coffee table big 40". Would fill in space. If you want you could put small silver table between chairs. A left hand chaise is when standing in front of sec the return is to your left. Running along window.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 5:16PM
Make sec low back. Since you can see back of sofa from door. Put a 5 foot narrow sofa table behind it. Put plants, n candles on it.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 5:18PM
Put tall stainless modern floor lamp tall. By wall in back of sec.
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 5:19PM
On wall by window add a long narrow modern picture. Every space of wall does not need something. I changed my mind on firepl put up art to scale. And put mirror over chest by stair case. Do you have living spaces? A good place to find deals.
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 5:22PM
A more modern firepl screen. Something in silver, never gold.if in budget a hanging chandelier in stainless and glass would be nice it would go over the coffee table. Hang 40" above coffee. You have to get electrician . But worth the price. Would also give you more light. On chest by stairs could put small lamp ther for mood. Putting some art work going up stairs nice.
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 5:27PM
In dining rm. a round table with fabric chairs. Panels in white on window. Contemporary art work, and mirror will finish that room. Also area rug round if round table. Large 8-9 feet. I like black and white zebra. Paint same as living area. In other words, Carry same look and colors though out house.
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 5:31PM
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Hi, we have done layouts like yours before. A couple of different ideas for you to consider. Instead of the sofa at the bay window, use three or four chairs in the FP area. Group them around a small low table or low upholstered foot stool. Use one or two high back chairs beside the FP and lower for the rest. The chairs should not match. You might do a pair with opaque backs facing the FP (cane, Lucite, ladder backed or other) so you have some view through them to the FP if you're at the other end of the room. Hang a strong painting or print in a simple frame over the FP. Now place a Loveseat on the wall which adjoins the Dining Room. Drop a small area rug and two chairs facing. Because the DR archway and glass block sections have arched tops it might be cool to add just one or two Turkish items to capitalize on the architectural detail. Use at least one round or oval table. Also, if you like the style, a couple of French Deco elements will give the rooms more architectural strength.
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 5:41PM
Please see drawing below for the furniture arrangement I am suggesting. Your fireplace seems too high for a TV above it so I have placed your TV on the staircase wall. Two chairs would face it and the sofa would be against the wall with bookcases opposite. I like Ikea's Billy bookcases for this location. I would buy them with the added height units on top.

In the bay window I would like to see a pair of small armchairs with a round table between them. They are there for conversation at a party. In front of the fireplace is a bench.

It's not a very wide room, so when you buy furniture, if you arrange it as shown, you would have room for a sofa in the dimensions shown and one big chair or the two medium sized chairs which I show. Your coffee table could be slightly larger than what I drew, perhaps 42 x 42", but I wouldn't go any wider than 42". Of course it's possible that the sofa wall is longer than what I drew and the opening to the dining room is smaller, etc. But this should give you a good idea of what will work and what won't.

I left space on either side of the fireplace, in front of the two windows, for something. It could be plants, or pedestals with sculptures, or any number of things. I'll leave that for you or others to figure out.

1 Like    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 6:33PM
Lots of options for you to try out. For my original layout, if there is room on the flat wall in the corner past the bay to put a television there on a swing arm, so it pulls out in front of the glass block arch when it is on and tucks away when it isn't, that could be a neat option for media. You would be able to set it at a more comfortable viewing height (eye level when you sit) next to, rather than over the mantle. Can't tell from your photos / don't know your tv size to know whether this could work for you, but I noticed that the width of the adjacent wall wall is greater on the right of the fireplace. The arched glass means you don't want to install something there but swinging out in front of it won't violate any design rules. Just need to be able to lay near flat on the window wall past the bay. You could put a media component bench under the window so it isn't hanging out in thin air.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 11:02PM
nina811
Here two ore photos
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 6:38AM
It is apparent in these photos that the bookcases will not work on the wall to the left of the entry. I continue to believe that the staircase wall will be the best place for the TV. Is there also a family room in the house? Or will this room be the main room for TV viewing?
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 7:19AM
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Hi, I think the layout of your room is not meant to be TV viewing room. Again, this is an opinion, but the room wants to be a salon. By that I mean groupings of furniture which become conversation spots. By using furniture that is not bulky and can easily be rearranged to accomodate intimate groups or a big crowd you will capture the "spirit" of the layout. Floating seating at the FP will keep the airyness and light circulating. Instead of filling the room with static heavy furniture keep things open. At the window for instance, consider a Daybed. Place a drum table or a Chinese Garden seat beside it. Comfortable chairs mixed with lighter ones at the center of the space in front of the FP. Loveseat and chairs down toward the stairs. Here the chairs would be tailored and slipcovered easy chairs. Use a linen print for window treatments. Repeat the linen print on the opposite side of the room on a pillow or skirted table. Think about a floor lamp near the seating area by the stairs to accent height. Small area rugs at seating locations.
A good source for this sort of look is Veranda magazine. Southern interiors tend to be elegant but relaxed. Look at French country interiors of the 20th and 21st century. They have a Transitional feel.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 7:46AM
Ann
I'm so enjoying hearing the various designer's ideas for your room layout. Please keep posting pictures as you add furniture!
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 8:04AM
nina811
Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions. The picture I posted above shows the room with the "staged" furniture the real estate agent has placed in there. We haven't closed on the house yet, so I can't go into the house and play around with ideas, but I'm in the process of searching for furniture ideas. :)
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 9:45AM
nina811
Carolyn, there is a family room in the basement, which we will be using for tv viewing, but my husband thought it would be nice to have another room that either of us can escape to watch tv. :). My original plan was to keep the tv in the family room and not in this room, so right now I'm just playing around with ideas.
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 9:47AM
TV above firepl would work with my above comments.
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 9:59AM
If you put TV over firepl you must wire it for cable and power, may not be worth it. Unless TV works wireless .
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 10:04AM
That FP looks to me to be entirely too high to put a TV above it, wiring or no wiring.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 10:15AM
Need help with my furniture layout in open floor plan
I just bought a house and we are in the middle of the...
rpl814
New house, No furniture, No idea where to start!
I am recently married and we have purchased a house,...
tara09
New apartment, new furniture, tons of problems
Hi all. I have been aroung for some time now - as...
nysska
Need ideas for new "boy proof" furniture!
I have been saving money for a new sofa, mine isn't...
howellmsue
Need all kinds of opinions - furniture, layout, accessories
I have posted before about this room, and I had decided...
Emily B
Backsplash conflict
We are trying to pick a backsplash for our modern/contemporary...
katechica
blackblack1
Need urgent help with Kitchen Cabinets - Paint or Refinish? Help!
Hi, My kitchen cabinets (and cabinets elsewhere) are...
kjosh
one colour for the open concept main floor
I need a good neutral colour choice for kitchen ,living...
kadowner
Interior and exterior paint colour question
We are thinking of giving the house a fresh coat of...
Sandra Sherpa