Complete kitchen remodel using existing cabinets
Archevie Design
April 24, 2013 in Before & After
My client was tired of everyone standing in her way while she was cooking. The obstacle was a center island which blocked the work triangle while encouraging people to stand around it. The kitchen floor area was too small to accommodate the “standers” and still be able to move around the kitchen. If chairs were put on the other side of the island, they blocked both the refrigerator and the main pathway between the house and the garage.

A new kitchen was in order. When the owners consulted a kitchen cabinet company they came away with a cabinet layout and costly estimate for new cabinets and countertops, but the problems with the kitchen’s function weren’t addressed. So I was brought in to help them come up with a new kitchen plan using their existing cabinets.

The kitchen had a lot of good quality hickory cabinets that were in excellent condition and we discovered that they could still purchase additional pieces from the same cabinet line.

In order to maximize seating, a peninsula was added, forming a U-shaped kitchen. Although island kitchens are very popular, U-shaped kitchens are reportedly the most efficient for the cook. In this case, the “U” formed a work area that was out of the circulation path while allowing bar seating on the other side. The refrigerator was replaced with a bank of 1’ deep cabinets that provide storage and a place for a small microwave while the new counter depth refrigerator was placed on the exterior wall.

A new midnight blue Aga range replaced the old cooktop while an additional under cabinet oven provides extra room for baking. Short display cabinets were added above the kitchen window, which had a rather low head height for the 9’ ceiling.

My clients did a superb job of picking the color scheme and tile, featuring tiles brought back from Italy over the range. The blue Aga range was the inspiration for the blue walls and accents throughout. Crown molding and valence were added to the cabinets, with a darker stained rope detail to tie to the floor color. They also painted the faux copper finish on the hood and bar knee space. A nice blend of warm and cool notes exists between the wood cabinets, copper tones, and blue and grey toned tiles.

The owners are very pleased with their new “old” kitchen. They saved a significant amount by reusing most of their existing cabinets while their everyday cooking and especially entertaining has definitely taken a turn for the better!
Oakwood Veneer
Beautiful, it is such a bright room!
May 3, 2013 at 6:31AM   
KBR Design & Build
Truly a great renovation
March 5, 2014 at 4:58PM     
jpetoniak
Oh my gosh. I love it what a transformation.
March 5, 2014 at 5:57PM     
Laura Weeks
Love it! The blue paint and the colorful backsplash behind the stove are beautiful!
March 5, 2014 at 7:10PM   
123 Remodeling Inc.
Wow! Beautiful Kitchen! Good job overall....
March 6, 2014 at 1:39PM   
GMF+ASSOCIATES architects
Applause applause, no easy task, to reuse cabinets and update successfully.
March 6, 2014 at 4:21PM     
Archevie Design
Thanks so much. It's always great to work with clients with great style. I've just started working on the master bath with this client and I'm sure I'll have another before and after when they're done!

Marcia Becker
Archevie Design, Denver
March 6, 2014 at 5:44PM   
pickyvicky
This is great!
March 8, 2014 at 8:00PM   
Patricia
Stunning!
March 8, 2014 at 9:32PM   
nana972
I love this, Congratulations on the transformation. I especially like your backsplash. Is it custom? I've been looking for months and yours is the first that I've really liked. What is it?
March 10, 2014 at 6:26PM   
sage0807
Nice job.
March 10, 2014 at 6:48PM   
Ugly black stone fireplace!
We just purchased a brand new house and my husband...
Painting walls and cornices the same
We have a low ceiling throughout our house and I was...
Foyer lighting
Does this large pendant look good as foyer lighting?...
Need help with Kelly Moore paint for ceiling and accent walls
I have a S-curve hallway ceiling and need to select...
Living room dilemmas! I need suggestions
I've been struggling since I moved into our condo with...