I really need help figuring out master bedroom/bathroom remodel
pcotta
We moved into our home 3 years ago knowing we needed to remodel the master bedroom and bathroom. Unfortunately, we have not been able to come up with a plan that works with the space! We have made many attempts but nothing seems to work. I've attached our latest plan, but it has too many walls and doors! Plus, I don't want a hallway in my bedroom! Please help! Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Dullea and Associates Inc.
Do you have an existing plan? If so can you post a picture of it?
April 24, 2013 at 5:29pm   
Archevie Design
I'm confused. How do you get into your bedroom? Yes, an existing plan would help. And yes, this is a disaster, but it sounds like you know that already. Could you post an original plan and some description of what you want in there? I ALWAYS prefer to have a verbal description rather than a plan. With a plan, you never know if some weirdness is what the client wanted or what they just couldn't make work.
April 24, 2013 at 7:34pm   
clynch10
Do you enter bedroom from the top of the picture? Why is the closet so massive? And why have so many doors? Unless I am confused...move the closet wall down so it is in line with the bath wall. That shoukd be enought space and gets rid of hallway. Create double door into the closet from the bedroom in the center. Get rid of the door from master bath to the closet. Get rid of door connecting guest room with master bedroom...
April 24, 2013 at 7:47pm   
clynch10
If you need entry to the master put a door at the 90 degree wall to the left of the guest closet...
April 24, 2013 at 7:49pm   
pcotta
Thank you so much for your ideas and questions. I've attached the existing floor plan for the space we are trying to remodel.
April 25, 2013 at 9:06am   
pcotta
I believe originally there were two bedrooms that make up the current master suite. The wall was removed and now there is just a long open space. The wall with the slider has a view. The current master suite has a small bath with 2 sinks and a separate shower toilet area right across from where the bed sits (I don't like looking into the bathroom from bed!). Wanted to move the bathroom to the opposite side of the room, and add a walk-in closet. I'd like to incorporate what is now a fairly large guest bathroom located in the hall into our master bath and turn the current hall storage closet into the guest bath. I'd like to be able to access the new closet from the bathroom. Currently, you get into the bedroom at the end of the hallway off the entry.
April 25, 2013 at 9:17am   
pcotta
Here is the current layout of the master suite.
April 25, 2013 at 9:25am   
pcotta
I'm trying again. For some reason my new image is not appearing.
April 25, 2013 at 9:27am   
clynch10
pcotta, trying to sort out the description, but it is difficult becuase for some reason I cannot see the picture of the original layout...Can you try again to upload it?
April 25, 2013 at 9:29am   
Best Plumbing Tile & Stone
Looking forward to seeing the existing bedroom. I am confused as to why there is a guest bath in the space. I will sketch out something VERY rough for you and not to scale once I see the current space.
April 25, 2013 at 9:35am   
pcotta
Ok, saved as a jpeg. Let's see if this works.
April 25, 2013 at 9:42am   
pcotta
Finally, sorry for that delay. The current layout is finally attached!
April 25, 2013 at 9:43am   
Great! thanks - can you delete your other post?
April 25, 2013 at 9:43am   
Are you trying to include a powder room in your remodel? I see a guest bath has been injected into plan above, or are we just trying to do a master suite?
April 25, 2013 at 9:45am   
Best Plumbing Tile & Stone
OK, here are some ideas. I am a bathroom designer and don't work on other rooms often, but I'm attaching some suggestions for your bedroom and a rough sketch of your bathroom. Hope this helps!

I did this before you posted the jpg of your current floor plans, so let me know if you have any questions! kymberly@bestplg.com.

Also, if you can do away with that hall bathroom, you could make your bathroom even bigger and add a free standing bath under the window - they are very popular right now!
April 25, 2013 at 10:07am   
clynch10
best pulmbing I agree and that is what I was going for too! The tv swivel idea is brillant! If that really is a guest bath I would take over the closet and put a shower there for them... you could reduce the size of the sitting room and put a reach in closet on that side.
April 25, 2013 at 10:13am     
clynch10
OR, building on the swivel tv idea how about a cozy 2 sided fireplace? Broadmoor
Dining room to living room
April 25, 2013 at 10:22am     
Best Plumbing Tile & Stone
Love that Idea too - maybe with a TV mounted on it. :)
April 25, 2013 at 10:24am   
pcotta
Thank you for your question. Yes, we do want a powder room in the remodel. The kitchen, dining room, and living room are all on the same floor, but there are no other bathrooms. I believe I did delete the other post as soon as I realized that I still couldn't add the original floor plan (I thought maybe I needed to start over to attach the photo).
April 25, 2013 at 10:25am   
pcotta
I love your ideas! The room already feels better to me by eliminating the walls and I absolutely love the TV on a swivel idea. I like the fireplace idea, too.
April 25, 2013 at 10:40am   
pcotta
This is definitely starting to take shape. Are you suggesting that we enter the shower from the toilet area and make the wall solid from the sink side? What do you think about incorporating the closet space by the hall bath right into the bathroom, instead of it being accessed by a door?
April 25, 2013 at 10:46am   
clynch10
I would actually put a solid tile wall on the south side of the shower, enter shower across from the vanity and use the sliding door to block off the toilet. I don't want to look at the toilet... pretty much ever... not when getting in the shower and not while in the shower. I liked that pocket door for that reason. What is in that hall closet? towels and linens? It could be nice as a builtin along the north wall of the powder room and give a little more room to breathe.
April 25, 2013 at 11:04am   
pcotta
I absolutely agree about the shower/toilet situation. Hall closet holds some towels, but mostly items like shampoo, deodorant, hand soap - things that I stock up on for the family.
April 25, 2013 at 11:16am   
Best Plumbing Tile & Stone
I was thinking exactly what clynch10 stated. Depending on if you want a steam shower or not you can do a glass enclosure with a swing door and a knee wall by the bench, or you can do a sliding door to save money. The wall between the toilet room and shower is going to have to be your plumbing wall, as you don't want plumbing on an exterior wall. I do not like having to go into closets from the bathroom because of moisture and privacy issues.
April 25, 2013 at 11:17am   
Best Plumbing Tile & Stone
Where are you located? Depending on your budget, I would suggest looking at Bertch or Vanity Flair for your vanity area. They are the best for large configurations like you will be able to have.
April 25, 2013 at 11:19am   
clynch10
yes agree on the moisture but it sounds like it is 90% bath items. My bath towels are in a closet outside bathroom now and I haet that moment I realize there is not towel and I have to prance around in the hallway soaking wet to get a towel or conditioner or whatever!
April 25, 2013 at 11:20am   
pcotta
I was having the same concerns about the moisture in the bath getting into the closet, but it seems so many houses have that configuration that I thought maybe it wasn't as big a problem as I imagined. I am located in San Diego, CA. Like clynch10, I love having towels available in the bath area! I always seem to forget a towel on the coldest mornings.
April 25, 2013 at 11:31am   
Best Plumbing Tile & Stone
clynch, I mean the mail master closet. There will be plenty of room for storage in that vanity - 8' is HUGE.
April 25, 2013 at 11:32am   
pcotta
Looks like there are a couple of places within 20 miles that sell Vanity Flair. I will check them out!
April 25, 2013 at 11:34am   
Best Plumbing Tile & Stone
That's great! It's custom and very high end, and worth every penny. Made in the US by real craftsmen. I don't think I know anyone in San Diego except Fixtures Living. I have a great place up in Irvine - B&C Custom Hardware, but I don't know if they sell Vanity Flair.
April 25, 2013 at 11:38am   
pcotta
I checked out their website and they do beautiful work. Already found a vanity that I think would look great in the guest bath.
April 25, 2013 at 11:52am     
Best Plumbing Tile & Stone
If you go to B&C, tell them we sent you :)
April 25, 2013 at 11:55am   
pcotta
I definitely will. Thanks for your help.
April 25, 2013 at 12:04pm     
Best Plumbing Tile & Stone
My pleasure. It's going to be a beautiful space.
April 25, 2013 at 12:06pm   
pcotta
Thank you. It's nerve wracking making these decisions that have to last a long, long time. I appreciate all the input. If you think of anything else please don't hesitate to let me know.
April 25, 2013 at 12:23pm   
Help with Master Bedroom/Bathroom remodel
I have laid dark hardwood floors, painted walls and...
Need help with my Master Bedroom/Bathroom
Does anyone have a paint color they have used that...
Need help on a color for master bedroom/bathroom
In my master bedroom and bath I have walnut trim. ...
I need help with remodel of the master bedroom, closet and bathroom.
I have a large master bedroom but the closet is too...
Laundry Renovation - What would you do?
Our next most likely project is the laundry renovation....
New Home - Living Room
I need Help! The Living Room photo is of our new home....
Help!! Pretty please. I need lots of ideas.
I was given a couple ideas but still unsure if we should...
Rug ideas
Rug ideas. I need to match these pillows with a rug....
Need help for new exterior paint color
My husband built this A Frame in the 70's and we are...