Need Help for decorating my Dining Room ...
madsp001
How difficult is it to remove wainscoting ?? I am planning to decorate my dining room which looks like this link Piedmont Perfect.
But my dining area has wainscoting all over. I am planning to purchase the white floating cabinets as well which look similar to the decoration above. Is it possible to have it decorated and put the floating cabinets on top of these wainscoting walls? Attached is the image of our dining wall. Please help me in ideas to decorate it the same way.

Ironwood Builders
The two styles...the existing wainscot and your Piedmont Perfect, are not very compatible. Both really excellent in their own way...but the wainscot is very traditional and Piedmont is very contemporary. Installing the lower "floating" cabinet on the wainscoting would be heinously difficult and would not come out too well, even with the best of craftsmanship.
April 24, 2013 at 7:34pm     
Genevieve
you are looking at a huge project that involves replacing the sheet rock , here is what I have found . in regard of the work involved.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5117327_remove-wainscoting.html

We had the same wainscotting in our first home , I agree with Ironwood Builders wrote.
I love the colours that you have chosen ,try to find something different for the buffet .
]
April 24, 2013 at 7:41pm   
gregjswife
Love the wainscoting! Keep it and work with it if you can
April 24, 2013 at 7:52pm   
madsp001
Thank You everyone for your inputs. I am looking to turn this into a contemporary dining area. Any ideas? Do you think having a dry wall over the wainscotting will cover it up. Please let me know..
April 25, 2013 at 7:41pm   
All 4 Show, LLC
I think your only option is to remove all the wainscoting then determine if the existing sheetrock needs to be removed or patched...I'm thinking removed entirely...but you will need to figure that out! I would not sheetrock/drywall over the wainscoting, as it is....
April 25, 2013 at 7:51pm   
linlac
There must be a way to give the wainscoting a contemporary look. Paint a contemporary color or do a paint finish, add something to the panels like wallpaper metal or leather. Add console tables.
April 26, 2013 at 4:27am     
Interior Style Solutions
I also had wainscoting and wanted a more contemporary style in my dining room. I painted the whole room in one colour and then went half strength in the same colour around the wainscoting, hope this makes sense :)
April 26, 2013 at 4:42am     
0825sam
I think you could do contemporary or modern furnishings just not the floating buffets. If you have your heart set on those, I agree you would need to remove. If resale is an issue I think you may want to reconsider removing those kinds of details though.

April 26, 2013 at 4:50am     
Jayme H.
Just a suggestion..I would attempt painting the wainscot the same color as the walls...possibly removethe wainscot t on the wall where u want the floating unit...which perhaps would entail on minor sheetrock patching on that wall vs. tearing it all out and needing to patch all of the sheetrock.
April 26, 2013 at 5:16am   
timber2004
I am chuckling to myself because my husband and I have spent days adding decorative moldings to our dining
room, to include wainscoting. :)
April 26, 2013 at 6:19pm     
madsp001
@Jayme - We are just looking into removing the rectangular panels and put cabinets in that space. We are not considering removing the entire waitscoting.

Does anyone know how difficult it is just to remove those rectangular moldings (or panels) in the pic. Can I just use a small crowbar or something to pull them off ? I hope they are just nailed in and not part of the wall itself.

We are planning to put either the bottom or the top part of this unit and it will be a floating cabinet.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39927155/
April 28, 2013 at 2:30pm     
Ironwood Builders
Definitely can't tell the method of construction from here! I have a feeling that whatever you do, something is getting destroyed!
April 28, 2013 at 3:01pm     
Dullea and Associates Inc.
Based on the photographs it appears the wainscotting is made up of applied molding on drywall. It is difficult to tell what the condition of the drywall will be in once the molding is removed. You could have caulk and/or construction adhesive that also needs to be removed. This can get messy and may required some of the drywall to be replaced. If you are prepared to go the distance I think the room you are trying to replicate would look awesome.

You might consider popping a piece of the applied trip off the wall to see how it was installed.
April 28, 2013 at 3:15pm   
Need help with decor ideas for my living room and dining room!
Hi guys! My husband and I recently built a new semi...
I need help decorating my open living room/dining room
I am trying to redecorate this space and need help....
Need help decorating my dining room
I need decorating ideas for my dining room. Now it...
Pool upgrade advice please
Pool area looks so old and tired! I do not like pebblecrete...
Need a cheap way to update this pink bathroom
I just bought an old home badly in need of updating....
Building a sunroom looking for ideas to design interior space
Going to add window 4 season to all openings exterior...