Need help with backyard design!
jordanmederos
April 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We recently purchased this house and we are having major design issues with the very small backyard. We have two large dogs (80 & 55 pounds) and our yard backs up to the trails in our town, so people and animals are constantly walking by. Our yard doesn't grow grass and the dogs running around doesn't help the little grass we have. Our fence is half wood and half wrought iron, at first we didn't like this but the dogs enjoy being able to see out of the yard (which has helped with our Husky who is an escape artist) and we enjoy the view. We love to entertain so like the idea of making the patio bigger. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
getgrowing
We grew grapes along the chain link fence that backed onto our neighbourhood trail. You'll need deep holes for their roots, but they cover the whole fence quickly.
What about huge potted trees and plants, placed on wheeled bases that you can drag to new locations to suit their sun needs?
1 Like   Thanked by jordanmederos    April 24, 2013 at 9:02PM
jordanmederos
We don't want to cover up the fence because we like being able to see out there, but, I do like the idea of putting some potted trees and plants along the fence line.

Right now we are focusing on the patio (or lack there of) We are wanting to either extend it or add some sort of deck. Any ideas?
0 Likes   April 26, 2013 at 7:54AM
PRO
OnePlan
I think if your deck is same length ( and colour even too maybe) as the boarding on that side - it will appear to be part of the house design, rather than an add on !
1 Like   Thanked by jordanmederos    April 26, 2013 at 8:13AM
jordanmederos
i like that idea!
1 Like   April 26, 2013 at 12:16PM
mpoulsom
when facing the back of the house, I think a deck one step up from the patio would be great to the right, where the solid brick wall is....we just did it off of our patio and it totally changes everything. You could attach one of thos shade sails over the deck attaching one end to the house and the other 2 to the fence perhaps?
1 Like   Thanked by jordanmederos    April 26, 2013 at 12:54PM
mpoulsom
[houzz=
]

here's a shade sail, maybe better over the patio area instead of deck? and you could do planters on the outer edge of the patio in an "L".....sort of like these in the picture....long box planters!
1 Like   Thanked by jordanmederos    April 26, 2013 at 1:06PM
jordanmederos
i love all of these ideas! i had not thought to put a deck or patio to the right of the existing one, that makes a lot of sense! plus our neighbor to the right has a two story and putting a shade sail on that side would definitely give us more privacy!
2 Likes   April 26, 2013 at 1:08PM
mpoulsom
[houzz=
]
1 Like   Thanked by jordanmederos    April 26, 2013 at 1:27PM