Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rkakjkkk

What material is the counter?

rkakjkkk
11 years ago
Trying to decide between Marble, Quartz or a whitish granite. Want marble but EVERYONE is trying to talk me out it. Leaning towards Silestone Lyrica.
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. · More Info

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    11 years ago
    This is Ceasarstone, color is Blizzard. Please do not do marble! It will stain, chip, and etch. This material is a great alternative for white marble. It's very hardy and low maintenance. Hope that helps. Charmean Neithart
  • PRO
    Granite Grannies
    11 years ago
    White marble has more risk of staining and etching. Chipping is rare, and many people use it in their home and don't see a single bit of blemish for a decade. Caesartstone is much more expensive than a Whit Carrara, so if you are ok with the idea of potentially replacing the marble 10-15 years, you would be saving money up front. White Marble is not like a white couch. You won't stain it by spilling grape juice. If you leave tomato sauce on your counters for a day or two, then you may have a risk of discoloration, but you can remove a lot of those discolorations with a special product. I think most of the time the down sides of marble are very much worth the natural beauty. And if you are a marble person, then find a granite that has the same look. Man made products can never truly capture the beauty of a natural product.

Have you heard of quartzite? It's a naturally occurring stone (quarried, not created) that tends to look like marble, but is usually harder than granite.

Super White Quartzite Kitchen in Calvert County, MD · More Info

White Macaubas Quartzite in NW DC · More Info
  • rosedix
    10 years ago
    Granite Grannies -- I just chose a Sea Pearl quartzite to satisfy my love of "the marble look," but my fear of it's wear & tear. However, I have now read a number of sources that warn that quartzite will/can etch too. Can you lend your perspective? Is it possible to hone quartzite, to avoid seeing the some of the effects of etching?
  • PRO
    Granite Grannies
    10 years ago
    While I can't say 100% certain that it will not etch, I think it's very unlikely. Quarzite is usually harder than granite, and granite won't etch unless under extreme circumstances that will not occur in your kitchen. I'd recommend sealing your quartzite once a year. Other than that, feel free to use it without fear. You can put your hot pots and pans on it and prepare food on it. I wouldn't recommend using knives directly on the counter because while the quartzite will be fine, your knives will get dulled.

Honing and leathering are just aesthetic choices. One or the other is not more durable. However, like I said, you don't have to worry about etching on a quartzite so just get finish you prefer. I know in my area there is one company that will hone slabs, but I think on the whole you have to buy them with your desired finish from the supplier.
Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor