Need ideas for dresser redo
thepeytonsApril 25, 2013
I bought this dresser for $150. It is quite large and tall, which I need. I want to use this in our master bedroom to hold the tv, dvr/cable box, etc... This is a temporary plan until we are ready to tackle our ultimate desire for this space (fireplace flanked with built-ins). By temporary, I mean a few years. So, I want this to look nice in the meantime. Here is the problem.... I am not sure what this material is and what I can actually do to it. It is not wood and maybe not veneer. It looks like veneer from the front but particle board or something else from behind. It has some water damage which I have shown in the pics below. The pics make the damage look more significant than it really is. Anyway, I originally thought I could do a light sanding and rub on a black gel stain to give it a funky vibe. However, after examining it more closely, I am not sure about this option given that the facing is extremely thin. SOOOO....I am trying to figure out a way to make this look really cool. Any ideas on what I should (can) do here? I have attached pics of the room to show what I am working with here (sorry about the poor quality). It is a rather large room so I had to show it from multiple angles. Hopefully, you can piece it all together. A few things to note....the end tables next to the bed are of a similar color/finish. I do not plan to touch these and I do not want to match them either. The bench in front of the bed will be replaced (style does not match and I do not care for the legs). I will possibly remove the tree. Small art near the tv, cabinet tv is on, and small pedestal right next to it are all outta there. Not sure about the single chair in corner either. Whew.....if you are still reading at this point...THANK YOU!!
Can't wait to hear your thoughts and ideas. :-)
thepeytons
Here are more of the pics....
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 9:42AM
thepeytons
Last post of pics. Sorry!!! Will only allow 4 at a time. :-)
Quality is really poor and color is off but gives you an idea of the spaced overall.
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 9:43AM
gregjswife
I would go with Annie Sloan's chalk paint and wax. You can paint almost anything with that stuff! The graphite color is a soft black. You could do distressing if you wanted to, and show some of the brown, just on the edges, like natural wear. Annie Sloan's has lots of colors to choose from, maybe you can find a retailer that sells it in your area. If you research Annie Sloan's there are a lot of tutorials online out there.
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 9:59AM
thepeytons
Thanks! I did some research. Looks interesting. Glad to see the wax takes away the matte finish too! :)
    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 6:20AM
gregjswife
Annie Sloans is awesome! Be forewarned you will be hooked if you start using it. One can goes so far (3 or 4 pieces) and the wax lasts through many projects too. Don't be scared off by the price.
    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 1:01PM
bocadog
That looks like veneer if you look at the chips. The whole thing might not be but I would def. paint.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 1:07PM
Ok. Need to redo my living room, 15x13ft, using this sofa I love.
Looks danish modern to me. Need side chairs, rug ideas....
helenjoh
Bedroom redo needs some suggestions as to what to do to complete it.
I have new bedding in green, white and purple. Opposite...
lynnwinfrey
Tania D
Please offer Master Bedroom Re-do Ideas
I need help. I don't feel like I have a decorating...
knbarr
need ideas for redoing a small 10x10 kitchen on a small budget.
I have purchased a dishwasher, stove ,in stainless...
scheeks
Curb appeal: how to make this exterior more interesting, inviting?
Hubby and I are moving into our first home together....
aprildch
Prevent Leaks - Roof Inspection
Roofing shingles contract in cold weather. As temperature...
jeffharling
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
licksch
Ideas for an unusual window seat in the master bedroom
We are updating our master bedroom by adding some more...
pauline39
Need help finding affordable (non-IKEA) modern white kitchen cabinets
I am building a new modern home. I want high gloss...
elisalinscott