Help with front facelift

efarias04April 25, 2013
PLEASE HELP!! Cant think of what to do here, will be purchasing home and need front facelift ideas and color. Thanks soo much.
fine_arts
Cute House! The first thing I notice when I look at the house is that awning. I would personally remove completely. Also that window seems to be all alone that the right side. I would put something on the brick wall to balance out that space. It could be a trellis....wrought iron feature and tall shrub....something to fill that empty space. The plantings look great in the picture....maybe put another picture on if you can of the other side so we can see the other brickwork. Very nice house though! Enjoy it!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 2:17PM
efarias04
Yes my plan was to remove the awning right away, I will take another picture this weekend and post up. Thank you for the input I need it.
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 2:34PM
houssaon
I would add a front facing gable roof porch and change the steps so that they are on the front. Here is something like I'm thinking:
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 2:46PM
anne dee
Addition · More Info

this is a pretty house. Might give you some ideas on where to start.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 2:48PM
efarias04
Anne I would love to hear them. I will take better photos this weekend. Thank u all
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 3:07PM
efarias04
Perfect thanks Anne
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 3:12PM
Stamps Design Services
I like the idea posted by Houssaon. Here are some more that are different yet similar.......
1 Like    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 3:28PM
efarias04
What's your thoughts on painting the red brick? Or should I keep it natural?
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 3:46PM
anne dee
Hi Efarias04. the most help I am able to give you are ideas thru pictures. When I began my sentence I should have typed " You might........
But have no fear all is not lost. We have great architects on this site.
One specifically being Kevin.
Hopefully he will find this thread
So Sorry if i mislead you !!
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 3:58PM
anne dee
this is Kevin's full title
KEVIN PATRICK O'BRIEN ARCHITECT,INC.
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 4:06PM
efarias04
No worries Anne. Thank you though.
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 4:25PM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Reading thru the posts it looks to me like houssaon is on a good track. The front seems a bit "flat" to me, not enough "off-set" from the brick wall to the siding gable wall? (Hard to tell from this photo angle) adding a gable to cover the entry as suggested would be cool. This shows in anne dee photo too. Also, this might be a good candidate for painted brick! It comes down to the right color and application. And definitely remove that awning!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 4:59PM
anne dee
thanks
1 Like    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 5:02PM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
efarias04 & anne dee, this would be a fun one to do a sketch for. Give me a few minutes and I will post a front view for everyone to ponder!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 5:12PM
anne dee
okay Kevin will wait but then I must go and watch a hockey game. I'm from the North ya know,eh!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 5:14PM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Don't let me distract you! It's almost done. Soon.....
1 Like    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 5:20PM
rocoad
I like the gable idea too. I would make it wider than the entry and expand the porch across that blank area. Is this more than you want to do? If so, how about a small pergola in place of that awning, a trellis with a vine to fill that blank area, and continue the plantings in front of the porch so you hide the bottom of it? I'm not a fan of painted brick, but maybe in this case it would work because it looks like you have 2 different bricks. Is that right? You could paint the siding in the eave a dark color so it would visually recede thus making it not look so flat. You've got a lot to work with and without much money this can be really cute!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 5:28PM
rocoad
Sorry, I meant the siding in the gable, not eave!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 5:29PM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Sketch of front showing new Covered Entry Porch. New railing and flower boxes under front windows? Painted brick per other posts! Suggestions & input?
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 6:00PM
rocoad
That looks good Kevin! Any chance of making the gable wider to extend the porch to the right?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 6:04PM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Yes great idea! Would be good to push porch to the right so the glass block window is under the new covered porch! Cool
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 6:06PM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
anne dee where are you? Time for you to jump in! anne dee I know your there, look away from the game you know this is more important. Anne dee??
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 6:11PM
anne dee
tied 1 all . Ok I wish the poster was on the site so she could witness your genius! Fabulous.
What are those scary scribbles on the left? Right next to the pretty flower boxes.
edit that 2-1 bad guys
1 Like    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 6:29PM
Jayme H.
Nice drawing Kevin!!! How about some Craftsman-like posts? To scale, not huge.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 6:31PM
anne dee
Make him work Jayme :)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 6:36PM
Jayme H.
And as long as I mentioned the posts I have another idea..but I better butt out
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 6:38PM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Jayme, don't get shy...jump in! The water is warm and I will play nice!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 7:06PM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Anne dee, those are blob people for scale! This house looks to be about 3 or 4 feet off the ground. Wanted to illustrate 6 foot tall people marveling at this amazing remodel we create! BTW we need to hear from the customer/owner about this direction the car is going!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 7:09PM
Jayme H.
Wider porch, extending over to downplay "bald" spot on front of home..I realize it would be more extensive due to roof lines..but could look fantastic.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 7:09PM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Yes wide enough to encompass the glass block would be nice. Also a bigger porch would be a good place to sit and hang out.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 7:12PM
anne dee
I guess you've got the hang of this stuff :) eh?
4-2 good guys.
A demain
Good night all!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 7:25PM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Buggin out anne dee? Ok I guess you feel this is in good hands! We will knock around a few ideas then I will revise my sketch. Sleep tight, check in tomorrow!
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 7:29PM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Revised sketch with a bigger porch! Keeping square posts for now until we get feedback from the owner. Chime in, I have thick skin!!!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 8:28PM
Ironwood Builders
Kevin, I liked the offset of the porch on sketch 1. Could it be offset the other way to banish the stacked gable ends?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 8:53PM
efarias04
Wow I just saw this as Ibsen running around, Kevin, all I can say is "amazing" and Anne n all that have posted thanks so much. I am so excited to start working on this. Love all the input
1 Like    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 9:16PM
efarias04
Rocoad, yes there are 2 different types of bricks, on the left its a stone/off set yellow look and the other side is a light red. I love the idea of having a porch w flowers extending toward the right window n having stairs lead out the front instead of the side. What color would be recommended for the top siding? I can't say thank you enough to all that have provided such great ideas n input. Kevin thanks again for the sketch.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 9:28PM
rocoad
The top siding needs to be a color that unifies both bricks and is darker than the reddish brick. It is difficult to see the colors of the bricks on a computer monitor. Do each of the bricks have some gray in them? If they do, how about a dark charcoal? You also need to consider your roof color. I can't tell what color it is.
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 11:08PM
Jayme H.
@Ironwood..I figured on that happening when I suggested wider :( I am a trouble maker!
    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 5:05AM
Jayme H.
I think size and placement of porch columns could be integral in balancing the facade appearance.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 5:40AM
Ironwood Builders
Hi! To confirm with our OP, the house has brick, limestone (quite colorful?) and siding? Does the limestone that is on the porch carry around the house or is it just on the facade?
    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 7:20AM
efarias04
I have attached a better picture of the front of the home. The limestone brick is only on the left side of the front home, it does not travel around the side of the house. Hope this helps
1 Like    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 8:03AM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Hey David, I know what you are saying about that right return gable (at brick). But judging from the latest photo we might be able to remove that return (since the offset is so slight)? I will post my thoughts via sketch!
    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 8:18AM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Can't tell from last photo the off-set distance between the two gable walls! if this portion of roof can be removed, the vertical siding can continue toward the right. You know, this is extremely difficult working with photos only, but I love the challenge and I hope I'm not getting too technical or too deep!!!
    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 8:46AM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
BTW Jayme, you are not a trouble-maker! "No idea is a bad idea until we beat it up and it ends up on the floor"!! You helped us explore a new thought, I think that is cool.
    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 8:48AM
efarias04
Kevin, I am not sure how far apart is the off-set distance. I will swing by the home to determine that space, but I do like the fact that I can picture the home with the facelift from your sketch.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 9:00AM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
This is the "super deluxe" Porch version! Yes it's more money, but it helps resolve roof "issues"!! All of the houzzers know how much I enjoy my porch!!!
    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 9:31AM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Try this one, looks like last photo I uploaded got cut-off!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 9:33AM
efarias04
:) totally different, Love it
1 Like    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:00AM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Yes it might be too different? Everyone stopped posting...did I go too far, you seem to like the direction, anyone else?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:19AM
efarias04
the last sketch is perfect. All I would change is the stone which I am not a big fan of, since I cant see what will go well with it that's the biggest challenge. But this are all great.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:23AM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Judging from your other photos changing out the stone is a BIG decision. I like the "Super Porch"a lot (photo is my porch) we hang out there most evenings. It would add a ton of personality to the curb appeal!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:35AM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
My front porch! houzzers tired of me "showing off"? Sorry...
    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:38AM
I think, whatever you decide to do structurally, your house would look best if it were painted one color on the body.

2000 Showcase · More Info

Also, that facia board on the red brickā€¦is that just decoration? I don't see a roof there.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:40AM
Belman Living LLC
Very innovative ideas posted by members. I also personally think to change that awning and window to a porch as houssaon suggested.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:42AM
anne dee
No way! Show off all you want. We'll never get tired :)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 11:03AM
houssaon
I like the last version done by Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc. It is a real winner! I have an enclosed porch and when I sit out there I think I'm on vacation. It is so nice to be outside without worrying about bugs biting.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 11:25AM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Great idea, maybe "removable" screens they can put up seasonally? Depends on how extreme the bugs get I guess!!!
    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 11:48AM
efarias04
I will post images of the progress if this deal goes through. Thanks again for the input everyone
1 Like    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 12:33PM
DMH DESIGN
Efarias04. Many great ideas being tossed around. My thought is that if the brick and the gable rake board that create the 'faux'gable end were removed, you can match the siding of the gable where the brick was removed, and then build your porch or entry roof against this now continuous gable facade. I thought perhaps a shed roof built back into it may look nice. This roof could be hipped on the left side to plane into the existing roof line, and mirrored on the other side. This sketch shows a hip to the existing roof side and a shed to the driveway side. A gable coming straight out could also look nice. Options abound, once the brick is removed in the area of the 'faux' gable. With any alerations to the footprint of the existing house, please reach out to a design professional in order to make certain that such an idea will work and can be permitted within the zoning and development guidelines within your jurisdiction. The creation of any sort of non-conforming structure will impact your long term investment in this property. Kevin will back me up on this completely.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 1:50PM
efarias04
I want to thank all of you for advice and suggestions but looks like we will not be getting this home. The bank declined our offer and home went into auction
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 7:29AM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Next one....maybe? Thanks for letting us houzzers have some fun! Good luck, enjoy....
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 7:50AM
efarias04
Thank You Kevin. Yes we will move forward on the next one. This time ill post once I have keys in hand :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 3:40PM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
It's all good! But I gotta say more fun when things get built! Keep us posted on your progress!
    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 4:29PM
Facelift help and a better sense of style
I'd like to give the front of the house a face-lift...
rvarch
Need help with exterior facelift!
Just purchased this home built in the early 60's in...
Lilja Fam
Front porch & garden facelift NEEDED!!
Spring is here and the snow is almost gone. We moved...
mdpellegrin
Facelift front deck
We would like to have a covered porch deck beneath...
darshe
Exterior Facelift Help
I've recently closed on this house in Vancouver, Canada,...
dbarwin
A Hare-y bedroom
Im about to embark on designing this bedroom. I have...
toatsmcgoats
Bathroom
Which looks best?
767tex
Cooktop or Sink in Peninsula?
Am about to install new counters, so if I'm going to...
ljcass
KITCHEN COUNTER TOP SUGGESTIONS
any recommendations/suggestions on what type/style...
robertsontg
shower layout
I am looking for advice on shower layout in master...
Carole