Need help picking plants for front
laurenmgeiger
Couple days ago I pulled up overgrown bushes in our front yard and planted some nice boxwood bushes to cover the foundation. I am not at a dilemma picking the rest of the plants to put in. I want color but also a clean look. The only other color there right now besides the boxwoods is the magnolia shrub that was just planted. Thoughts or ideas for me...I am not very good at this.

Attached before and after photo, amazing transformation so far but need more plants to finish!
Magnolias are not bushes - they are trees - you might want to transplant it to a space that can handle it. I'd talk to a local nursery about what does well in your area. Be aware that the boxwoods can end up just like what you already removed - be diligent.
April 25, 2013 at 4:12PM   
laurenmgeiger
Oops typo magnolia tree, the mind was on bushes :)

Thanks for the input about boxwoods we have them in the back of the house and we trim them to keep a smaller size.
April 25, 2013 at 4:20PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
Hostas have beautiful white & green leaves and bloom once with white flowers and Sedums have nice structure and bloom late fall if left during the winter look very pretty. Both perennials are nearly fail proof. Grow well in most light conditions. But if your wanting all summer color annuals are the way to go. Adding a bird bath or even some large rocks would give some structure to the large mulch bed. For a focal point.and would add some height to the flat terrain. How much sun do you get ? Impatient's are sun or shade friendly and are low growing and have rich colors. If you have some full sun, some ever blooming shrub roses are easy to maintain and have color all summer long. The newer breeds are simple to care for.
April 25, 2013 at 4:59PM     
laurenmgeiger
Great idea with large rocks, I agree it will help break up the huge mulch bed! It gets full sun till later afternoon when partial is in the shade. Good ideas thanks! I will look into the impatients.
April 25, 2013 at 5:05PM   
Need help picking plants
We had to redo the brick in front of our home and took...
Need help in picking out a "red" for my front door
The exterior of my house is gray stain. I am looking...
Need help picking color to paint front!!
We have had a landscaper come in to draw up a design...
my living room is WAY too brown and plain. help!
I need design help. I am eventually want a modern rustic...
Want cheap updates to kitchen to help sell the house
All of the buyer comments coming back about the house...
Breakfast nook against windows??
Hi all. I am seriously considering having built in...