Matching 100 year old oak trim
Samantha Jo
April 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I live in a 1916 home with original oak trim. I want to open up a wall as part of a kitchen remodel, but I have no idea how I would go about matching the new trim to the old. I live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Does anyone know of any sources for old trim - either a local store or online? Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
soberg
Almost any good millwork shop should be able to handle a basic wood and profile like that.

Just a thought....traditional casing looks best in traditional openings and configurations, i.e. defined rooms, doorways of a certain size, etc. If you are opening up rooms to have non-traditional archway sizes, no header etc. I would recommend at least considering whether they should be trimmed in a simpler, modern style or perhaps even made without casing altogether.
0 Likes   April 25, 2013 at 5:00PM
susansheryl
I am looking for buyers for my 100 yr. home trim, with 8 ft. doors & all the old oak trim (as pictured above) from my 2 story house. It has oak floors with stairwell & a separate servants entrance up to 2nd floor, would rather SELL the valuable trim than to sell the home! Can call me at (605)380-1244 or email me at: hoffmansusie.54@gmail.com
0 Likes   June 8, 2014 at 3:02PM
fredm51
Find a handyman or carpenter and have his go to HD and match the grain pattern with oak that is there. Have him route the OG on the top. Attach it to the flat section. Use a cove bit to made the rounded edge. Or go to Woodcraft show him a picture of all sides buy the oak there, buy the bits there and ask about a woodworker that will make it for you for a price. This is not old growth or quarter sawn oak this is regular oak. It may be 100 year regular oak but the wide board on the top I would not buy and get a piece that look more like the side legs because it would work better if the boards were cut on a 45.
0 Likes   June 8, 2014 at 4:52PM