What is the name of the black seat cover material on midcentury teak chairs?
orangecamera
I have some chairs similar to these, and I want to recover the seats in this black material, which seems to have been very common when the chairs were new. It looks like vinyl to me, but I can't really tell. I want to use the most authentic material I can find. So, please, if you know what this is I would love to hear from you.

Also, I think the chairs are teak. And mine are pretty dirty (I've been collecting them from different sources for a few months). My plan is to clean the wood with Murphy's Oil Soap, and then use Teak Oil or Danish Oil on them. Is that a good idea?

Thank you.
Nancy Walton
It looks like Naugahyde, which was a trade name back in the 60s when it looks like these chairs were made. The term is now loosely applied to any fabric-backed vinyl upholstery fabric.
April 25, 2013 at 5:04pm     
Jane Antonacci Interior Design
The fabric is either a black leather or a fake leather, i.e. vinyl or naugahyde. I don't think you need the Murphy's. It will cause the wood to soak up less oil as there will already be oil on it from the soap. That will keep it from absorbing the teak oil. I think you will clean and lubricate with the teak oil. When you first start rubbing it it, you cloth will probably turn black from the dirt on it. If it doesn't, consult your local wood finishing products at your local paint store.
April 25, 2013 at 5:04pm     
April 25, 2013 at 5:09pm   
orangecamera
Thank you Nancy and Jane. I'll look to see if I can find genuine Naugahyde locally.

Jane, do you mean the teak oil will actually help remove built up dirt and grime from the chairs? Do I just apply it and rub it off, or do I need to let it soak in a bit? I don't want to wind up trapping the dirt under the oil.
April 25, 2013 at 5:13pm   
orangecamera
Thank you, Judy! You posted while I was typing :)
April 25, 2013 at 5:14pm     
onthefence
This thread makes me smile. Anyone remember the ads with the little Nauga character?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naugahyde
April 25, 2013 at 5:16pm   
Nancy Walton
Yes!
April 25, 2013 at 5:20pm   
orangecamera
Hi onthefence. My mother used to joke that her sofa was made with "genuine hide of nauga". I'd forgotten all about that until I started getting replies here! And lookie, you can ADOPT A NAUGA. http://www.nauga.com/promoitems_nauga.html
April 25, 2013 at 5:20pm   
Nancy Walton
I guess I'm dating myself here...
April 25, 2013 at 5:20pm   
onthefence
orangecamera, I LOVE it. I want a Nauga of my own. Just think....no Nauga dust bunnies (they're hairless!) And even if they don't arrive housebroken, they're little accidents can't be too bad to clean up ;-)

Nancy Walton - I hear ya. There are probably many members here who would say NaugaWHAT?
April 25, 2013 at 5:23pm   
onthefence
Ohhhhhh....you can even choose between a boy Nauga or a girl Nauga!
April 25, 2013 at 5:25pm   
orangecamera
onthefence, keep scrolling down. You can even choose your own colors! (Yes, I *do* want an orange one!)
April 25, 2013 at 5:26pm     
onthefence
You SHOULD have an orange one orangecamera! Although, would it be poor form to have a Nauga and have the hide of it's brethren in the same room?
April 25, 2013 at 5:32pm   
leelee
It might be naugahide. Please don't kill any more naugas to cover your chairs.
April 25, 2013 at 5:49pm     
Ironwood Builders
Is it the moon or what? I'm seeing so many posts go totally whack! I laugh so hard!
April 25, 2013 at 7:50pm   
kathleen MK
LOL I grew up on those naugahyde Danish modern chairs (it wasn't called MCM back Then)
April 25, 2013 at 8:05pm   
yvonnecmartin
As I understand it, rub the danish oil in and let it soak for a few minutes. Then use 0000 steel wool to scrub the dirt off. Continue to use the oil until it comes clean.
April 25, 2013 at 8:30pm   
Margaret Phillips
I remember when so many things came stamped with "Genuine Imitation Leather" LoL
April 25, 2013 at 9:35pm   
mixing furniture in the bedroom
I need some advice on how to mix furniture. I do not...
Slate for shower walls
Does this pose problems for cleaning or any other concerns?...
Advice please on tile height for raked ceiling bathroom
We are creating a new bathroom and you will see from...
Kitchen
Hi all, I have a bit of a dilemma in my soon to be...
Please help me with this room!!
My living room is capped on both ends with overwhelming...