What is the name of the black seat cover material on midcentury teak chairs?
orangecamera
I have some chairs similar to these, and I want to recover the seats in this black material, which seems to have been very common when the chairs were new. It looks like vinyl to me, but I can't really tell. I want to use the most authentic material I can find. So, please, if you know what this is I would love to hear from you.

Also, I think the chairs are teak. And mine are pretty dirty (I've been collecting them from different sources for a few months). My plan is to clean the wood with Murphy's Oil Soap, and then use Teak Oil or Danish Oil on them. Is that a good idea?

Thank you.
Nancy Walton
It looks like Naugahyde, which was a trade name back in the 60s when it looks like these chairs were made. The term is now loosely applied to any fabric-backed vinyl upholstery fabric.
1 Like   April 25, 2013 at 5:04PM
Jane Antonacci Interior Design
The fabric is either a black leather or a fake leather, i.e. vinyl or naugahyde. I don't think you need the Murphy's. It will cause the wood to soak up less oil as there will already be oil on it from the soap. That will keep it from absorbing the teak oil. I think you will clean and lubricate with the teak oil. When you first start rubbing it it, you cloth will probably turn black from the dirt on it. If it doesn't, consult your local wood finishing products at your local paint store.
1 Like   April 25, 2013 at 5:04PM
0 Likes   April 25, 2013 at 5:09PM
orangecamera
Thank you Nancy and Jane. I'll look to see if I can find genuine Naugahyde locally.

Jane, do you mean the teak oil will actually help remove built up dirt and grime from the chairs? Do I just apply it and rub it off, or do I need to let it soak in a bit? I don't want to wind up trapping the dirt under the oil.
0 Likes   April 25, 2013 at 5:13PM
orangecamera
Thank you, Judy! You posted while I was typing :)
1 Like   April 25, 2013 at 5:14PM
onthefence
This thread makes me smile. Anyone remember the ads with the little Nauga character?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naugahyde
0 Likes   April 25, 2013 at 5:16PM
Nancy Walton
Yes!
0 Likes   April 25, 2013 at 5:20PM
orangecamera
Hi onthefence. My mother used to joke that her sofa was made with "genuine hide of nauga". I'd forgotten all about that until I started getting replies here! And lookie, you can ADOPT A NAUGA. http://www.nauga.com/promoitems_nauga.html
0 Likes   April 25, 2013 at 5:20PM
Nancy Walton
I guess I'm dating myself here...
0 Likes   April 25, 2013 at 5:20PM
onthefence
orangecamera, I LOVE it. I want a Nauga of my own. Just think....no Nauga dust bunnies (they're hairless!) And even if they don't arrive housebroken, they're little accidents can't be too bad to clean up ;-)

Nancy Walton - I hear ya. There are probably many members here who would say NaugaWHAT?
0 Likes   April 25, 2013 at 5:23PM
onthefence
Ohhhhhh....you can even choose between a boy Nauga or a girl Nauga!
0 Likes   April 25, 2013 at 5:25PM
orangecamera
onthefence, keep scrolling down. You can even choose your own colors! (Yes, I *do* want an orange one!)
1 Like   April 25, 2013 at 5:26PM
onthefence
You SHOULD have an orange one orangecamera! Although, would it be poor form to have a Nauga and have the hide of it's brethren in the same room?
0 Likes   April 25, 2013 at 5:32PM
leelee
It might be naugahide. Please don't kill any more naugas to cover your chairs.
2 Likes   April 25, 2013 at 5:49PM
Ironwood Builders
Is it the moon or what? I'm seeing so many posts go totally whack! I laugh so hard!
0 Likes   April 25, 2013 at 7:50PM
kathleen MK
LOL I grew up on those naugahyde Danish modern chairs (it wasn't called MCM back Then)
0 Likes   April 25, 2013 at 8:05PM
yvonnecmartin
As I understand it, rub the danish oil in and let it soak for a few minutes. Then use 0000 steel wool to scrub the dirt off. Continue to use the oil until it comes clean.
0 Likes   April 25, 2013 at 8:30PM
Margaret Phillips
I remember when so many things came stamped with "Genuine Imitation Leather" LoL
0 Likes   April 25, 2013 at 9:35PM
Solid or engineered wood floors in renovation?
Who has installed solid hardwood floor in their homes...
Melissa Page
What color? Painting Cabinets
I have been wanting to paint the cabinets since buying...
jlc668
What are your home plans for 2015?
What have you got in store for your home in 2015? ...
Tile choices for Mediterranean Revival style bathroom
I am trying to renovate a bathroom in this Mediterranean...
pamstamey
help me pull my den/family room together!...
I would love some input! This is my den, open concept...
natramp