Remodeling older home , need advice on painting paneling
kimburke
April 25, 2013 in Before & After
Needs paint
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
Rather than painting the "wood" paneling, you would get better results by sheetrocking over the paneling and painting the new sheetrock walls.
April 25, 2013 at 7:23PM   
I like painted paneling - it adds texture if you have a great color. Just use a good stain blocking primer like Kilz first. A nice green with lots of yellow is very classic, still neutral but adds so much light over brown wood. test greens like sw recycled glass http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7747-recycled-glass/

Painting is something homeowners can do themselves - a wall makeover is usually beyond them.
April 25, 2013 at 11:15PM     
white wash or paint completely over the panelling.
April 26, 2013 at 9:42AM     
L. A. Painting Services. LLC
Here's a finished look for you. Oil primer and 2 coats of Eggshell finish.
April 27, 2013 at 2:26AM     
bluenan
Paint them a creamy white, and yes, primer is very important.
April 27, 2013 at 10:47AM   
elmckie
We painted our paneling. I would recommend having a painter do it. They had to sand ours a bit and put a small piece of caulk in between the planks. Otherwise when the panels contract and expand it will look awful. Our neighbors painted their paneling themselves without caulking and it looked really bad. They needed up hiring a painter to re-do it. You also need to paint all with a paintbrush, no rolling.
April 27, 2013 at 11:02AM     
bluenan
If the panels are nice and tight don't caulk. My painters caulked my 3/4" solid pine paneling in my family room and over time it dried out, pulled and looked horrible. I had to dig it all out by hand and it was a nightmare. Have it painted in the winter when the furnace is on and it will be at its driest and least tight. There is always a possibility of expansion and shrinkage with wood, that just the nature of the beast. I can't tell if this is solid wood or not.
April 27, 2013 at 11:12AM   
jdt1111
We painted or paneling and it came out great! We didn't caulk. We used tinted primer and then Benjamin Moore Aura paint. We get compliments on it all the time!
May 11, 2013 at 4:45PM     
bluenan
Looks great!
May 11, 2013 at 4:54PM     
My living room needs a facelift
Please help. I've had this furniture for a very long...
Average cost of a design
Hi I really need to redo my backyard. The covered porch...
Looking for ideas to finish kitchen
Hi, just working on kitchen, have country feel...oak...