Florida Coastal Ranch - needs fun accent paint front door refresh
Mary
We are buying this 1963 home and want to create a fun, happy vacation house feel for us and potential future renters. The current trim is a boring muddy taupe around the windows and blue grey door with glass that has a dated floral motif. I'm considering turquoise trim and red or coral door...any ideas? The base paint is creamiest and does not need paint so this is an intermediate measure for a few years. Thx!
elklaker
Turquoise and coral would be a perfect combo. Please consider getting rid of the circle around the tree in the front. Less is more. Enjoy your new home.
April 26, 2013 at 4:21AM     
Mary
I was thinking the same thing re the white circle! As you can see (hopefully) by the pic these are the realtor pics as we close next week. The lawn needs a lot of work too but I want to focus on interior aside from the trim. Do you think we should paint the numbers to match trim or door? What about the garage?
April 26, 2013 at 4:32AM   
elklaker
I am not a fan of painting front entry garage doors anything other than the color of the house. I prefer to not draw attention to them. Add your color with the trim and landscaping. Maybe you can find some fun, interesting house numbers (lots of options online). The existing could be painted too (same as front door?). Fun project.
April 26, 2013 at 4:44AM     
Rockin' Fine Finish
Try a tangerine for the front door c2 paint has a great tangerine
April 26, 2013 at 6:59AM   
First, make sure the home still fits into the neighborhood. You don't want it to stand out like a billboard. If coral and turquoise are typical neighborhood colors, go ahead. If not, save them for the interior and the private back yard. As a vacation property manager, I think guests enjoy inside ammenities more than exterior gilding. If there is a pool, put some $$ there if needed - making the private spaces sumptuous is most important. Lawn appeal would be a plus, and some Bermuda shutters on the sunny side windows would look good and serve a purpose. If you need management assistance,please contact me.
April 26, 2013 at 7:04AM     
Mary
Thank you so much all! It's as much about changing the current paint as it is about selecting a fun color. The houses are all different pastels that you see in tropical climates.
April 26, 2013 at 7:31PM   
ReMax - Lisa
My parents had a very similar looking home for many years in a community in Florida. EVERYONE had those white circles around their trees. They all had a community lawn service and I suspect that company dictated how the gardens were edged so it was easier for trimming.
April 26, 2013 at 8:11PM   
Mary
That may explain it but those stones are history when I get there!
April 27, 2013 at 7:37AM     
Arlene Warda, Architecture+Interior Design
What a fun house!.. any closeup pictures of the windows, with trim and door?.. I can see the garage pretty clearly!
April 27, 2013 at 8:57AM   
Aja Mazin
A light teal or turquoise and pale coral trim would be fantastic, but keep the garage door white!

Great colours for Florida!

Less is more!
April 27, 2013 at 9:28AM   
Mary
Thank you Arlena! The trim is proud (raised) around windows and I am thinking of perhaps Ben Moore Oceanfront, Caribbean Cool, San Clemente teal or similar and perhaps tangerine by C2 which was suggested here. When the paint color needs replacing we will likely paint a tropical color with a fun door. For now I'm hoping to come up with a quick fix for curb appeal. Very excited and totally open to ideas!
April 27, 2013 at 9:30AM   
Aja Mazin
If that is a jalousie front door, replace with a solid door to prevent energy loss.
April 27, 2013 at 11:09AM     
Aja Mazin
Because your house appears to be white, do not choose a bold or intense colour for the trim.
April 27, 2013 at 11:13AM     
studio10001
Jalousie = theft magnet, too
April 27, 2013 at 11:37AM     
Need fun paint colors for ranch-style house exterior!
Our ranch-style home was built in 1976. This summer...
Need paint suggestion for Florida ranch with pinkish tile roof
We bought home in FL (one story 70s ranch) with roof...
need help with new front door for 1940's ranch style home
need to replace front door. Florida ranch style home...
Need help for 1960s ranch with large front garage door
Double white garage door on front of red brick house...
best furniture arrangement
how would you arrange the furniture in the small living...
Area Rug
I need some help with the color of an area rug. Would...
Pergola Design Dilemma..
So we had a pergola design that we loved (first photo)...
Powder room paint colors-thoughts on light brown & robin's egg blue?
We have a chair rail in our powder room. I am thinking...
Hate pink bricks
So I decided to either paint or cover with some type...