Exterior Lighting Fixtures
gwnorth
We are almost finished (for now) the refresh of our front exterior. One of the remaining things to do is I want to replace our lighting fixtures but I'm having difficulty deciding on what style to go with - traditional/Mediterranean, arts & craft, or contemporary. Would appreciate any input.
gwnorth
Here are some of the options I've been looking at. Also not sure if I should go black or some kind of metallic.
April 26, 2013 at 6:54AM   
pivoines
I love your house, it looks very inviting. I would choose an oversize black lantern style light fixture hanging down for the side one near the front door and the same model in a slightly smaller version for the 2 near the garage doors, Arts and craft but without the colored glass look, just a textured glass. for me the first one on the top left is the perfect one. enjoy.
April 26, 2013 at 6:54AM   
printesa
I wouldn't do arts&crafts...see something that is similar to your entrance,,I see the door has some designs. You might find some fixtures that have a similar design.
April 26, 2013 at 6:54AM   
April 26, 2013 at 6:57AM   
gwnorth
Here's a closer look at the front door, and a few more options I was considering:
April 26, 2013 at 7:03AM   
gwnorth
piviones - thank-you for the compliment. It's been 4 months in the making. The black windows were a huge decision as it is very uncommon around here. I knew what look I wanted but until I saw it completed I wasn't sure I had made the right decisions.
April 26, 2013 at 7:05AM   
pivoines
Well , you certainly did.Oh ! I also like the top light that you suggested lower, that might even tie in the top windows of your house. lucky you
April 26, 2013 at 7:10AM   
printesa
I love the black windows. You definitely made the right choice!
April 26, 2013 at 7:14AM   
gwnorth
Thank-you both.
April 26, 2013 at 7:27AM   
It needs to be big and black. Many people select outdoor fixtures that are way too small! Your home is beautiful!
April 26, 2013 at 8:32AM   
gwnorth
Carolyn - Thank-you so much. I have read that the entrance fixtures should be 1/5 -1/6 the height of the door. I have a standard 80" high door so my fixtures should be 13-16" high. Does that sound right? Also, do I choose the same size for the ones over the garage doors or go smaller?

My house is pretty tall and narrow so I've been thinking that my light fixtures should probably be the same. I just can't decide on an over all style. I like so many different looks.
April 26, 2013 at 9:22AM   
You need a fixture at your entry that has an electrical connection at the top so that the fixture does not rise above the door as your current one does. The one you show at top left should work well if it's black. You could also consider something with more simple lines, such as this one: http://www.lightinguniverse.com/outdoor-sconces/hinkley-lighting-1395bk-castelle-outdoor-sconce_g540288.html?isku=5089422&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage
April 26, 2013 at 5:31PM     
pivoines
exactly what I was thinking Carolyn, you've hit it on the nail.
April 27, 2013 at 3:00AM   
Wonderful! We'll be interested in seeing photos when you're done.
April 27, 2013 at 7:33AM   
gwnorth
Actually that was pivoines, but I don't disagree. After browsing more photos on Houzz, I'm leaning towards something like this one. Now only to be able to find it locally.
April 27, 2013 at 10:23AM   
If you can't find the exact one locally, take the photo to a local lighting company and they can surely find you something similar.
April 27, 2013 at 10:48AM   
gwnorth
Exterior reface is now complete. Here's a picture of the final look including the new lighting fixtures we chose.
May 17, 2013 at 7:05PM     
pivoines
Congratulations, it looks great, the new light fixtures are exactly what was needed, good luck in your new home.Thank you for the update.
May 18, 2013 at 5:08AM   
Help balancing rooms!
Hello. I apologize for being long winded! The room...
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
How to arrange my new living room
We just bought home. However this is the living room...
Dining table and chair space allowance
My dining room is 9 foot 6 inches wide. I want to...
New sofa style
I need help with choosing a sofa for our open plan...