Walls too PLAIN
Lablover/Tina
I need to do something to a large wall ie. paint, or Ideas? I can't figure out what to put on the wall next to mirror. The eye goes up and down as you scan the room. It just doesn't look right. It's so cluttered. It has a front corner window seat and chair rail around the room. The top half of chair rail I wall papered a long time ago and don't like anymore. Any Ideas on what To do to this room? I have no idea on a color to paint. The carpet it Taupe. I've attached a picture of the off white wall paper too.
Brenda
It's a fun room. It reminds me of one of those great little overstuffed boutique shops that you stumble into on vacation. Tone on tone, with strong black accents and a bit of green ... there is a lot to like about the room.

Do you have any photos of other views of the room? Also, how do you use the room?
April 26, 2013 at 1:25pm     
Lablover/Tina
This is our sitting room. We like to sit and enjoy the mountain view. I will add more photos too.
April 26, 2013 at 1:35pm   
Lablover/Tina
This is the very large corner front window I need to redo. I have sheers that close at night but not much privacy. Also, I wanted to take down the custom window swags.
April 26, 2013 at 1:39pm     
erasistible
I think the mirror is a bit too large. If your new drapes were hung higher, it would help make it not so overpowering. I would raise the window treatment the top of the sofa wall. It would look better to get the clock out of the corner and move the chest over that way. You might also remove everything that you do not actually use and add items back into the room, starting with your favorites until you feel that is has enough décor but is not cluttered.
April 26, 2013 at 1:54pm     
Lablover/Tina
I've attached another photo. This is to the left of the large window.
April 26, 2013 at 2:08pm     
Lablover/Tina
So basically this whole room has that off white wall paper on it except below the chair rail around the room and the large wall that has the tall black mirror on it. I hung the mirror there as you can use it going up and down the stairs. Also, this odd shaped Octagon window needs something done to it. I don't like it at all. The covering doesn't do anything but collect dust. It will be coming down once I figure out what to do. Any Ideas? Also, this floor will be coming out and eventually have wood flooring in it.
April 26, 2013 at 2:19pm   
erasistible
what furniture are you keeping?
April 26, 2013 at 2:32pm   
KShoa
You need to seriously declutter in there. The eye gets confused with all the patterns, items on the shelves, the walls... I'd remove half of the stuff in there so you can see what you're working with.
April 26, 2013 at 2:40pm     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I feel there is to much and now nothing looks special or becomes a focal point. I would move the clock and recenter the mirror and cabinet on that wall. I feel you have to much everything. and your things need space to breath. A luxury look would be achieved better by removing things. Toning things down. For a update remove all the ornate valances on your windows. Less is more Bigger is better. With all the extras you have it devalues everything. Gaudy is not pretty. Keep your things If you like but rotate them though out the year. Call a stagger to re do & remove a lot of what you have would be best money spent. To have a beautiful room.
April 26, 2013 at 6:08pm     
Lablover/Tina
I didn't have a chance to clean out all the clutter before taking photos. I really need help with a color scheme. The one window in the bay has become a home for most of my house plants because of the nice sunshine in there til about 1pm. And my lab likes to lay on the other window in bay to sunbath. So, basically the window seat is not a functional space.. should I move seating in front of bay or leave that open? With dark funiture what color of curtains and paint? What should I do with Octagon window?
April 26, 2013 at 6:21pm   
Danelle Blazejovsky
You need some color, you should pull a color from the drapes or furniture.
April 26, 2013 at 6:27pm   
soberg
Charming room and great selection of pieces. It just needs a bit of editing and cohesion.

Walls needs to have some color to stand up to those dark objects. The white is too stark and too bland. Given your eclectic taste and love for vintage detail, I'm thinking wallpaper! The right paper could pull together your black and pale green.

I would edit some objects off walls, especially the grass arrangement. Why? Simple - I just don't like it there! I'd like to see it on a lower table or shelf, or maybe stored for now.

Window treatments need to be changed out. They are dull and washed-out, in a dated style, and don't live up to the bold statements you are making elsewhere. Maybe remove the valance for now and try drapes by themselves, or once wallpaper is selected, use one of its colors for a solid color valance in a modern style.

Also, your lab got in touch with me and wanted me to let you know: the window bay is perfectly functional, there is no need for a change of usage. :-)
April 27, 2013 at 6:42am     
erasistible
The lady wants color suggestions. I say find a pillow, fabric, or art with a color combination that you love, or a color that looks great on you and go with that.
April 27, 2013 at 7:29pm     
gregjswife
Soberg, I agree about everything but the wallpaper. I would paint in a darker green gray color, like BM providence olive or something similar. The two sets of pictures seem totally disconnected. The animal print and turquoise don't go with the other items, imo. The sage and black with touches of cream ( like the table under your mirror) is a great palette to start with.
April 27, 2013 at 7:56pm   
gregjswife
I would use long curtains (match them to the others you choose, as Kevin says, less is more) I would disguise the octagon window by using curtains that are long, keep them closed if you don't like the window.
April 27, 2013 at 7:59pm   
Lablover/Tina
Thank you for all your suggestions. I'm going to start by decluttering this room. Also, the grass arrangement is gone now. Taken down. Next curtains down. I'm going to look for a curtain rod to hang outside of bay and high like erasistible suggested. I'll post some updates soon. And thanks again!
April 27, 2013 at 8:03pm   
Lablover/Tina
Oh, and what color of curtains would look nice?
April 27, 2013 at 8:05pm   
gregjswife
Good luck! Please post more pics as your room starts to take shape!!
April 27, 2013 at 8:06pm   
Lablover/Tina
I think i'll take out the animal print chair and relocate to the bedroom where we have a black canopy bed. Also, the bench by the front door which is animal print, relocate that too. I have a sage green bench I can switch it out with.
April 27, 2013 at 8:15pm     
Helga Simmons Interior Design LLC
I would start by removing the valances, remove the heavy grasses from the wall, remove two of the extra couch pillows. In other words: EDIT heavily. Like Kevin says: Less is More. Then center the mirror and take it down a notch, or even better, put it on the floor leaning against the wall. (Attach it, though). Then raise the drapery rod to the height of the 3/4 wall.
April 27, 2013 at 8:21pm     
Helga Simmons Interior Design LLC
The large turquoise pillow in the chair is too large. A lumbar pillow is usually 10" high, then 16" or 18" wide, or whatever the inside width of the chair is.
April 27, 2013 at 8:25pm   
jhperree
Put mirror over sofa, take clock out of corner and move console to center and hang sofa pictures over console.

Clock should go elsewhere.
April 27, 2013 at 10:48pm   
Rare Bird
think U need to center the mirror too and maybe put something colourful on the side board
April 28, 2013 at 4:00pm   
Lablover/Tina
I moved the clock across the room between the octagon window (which i took the valance down) and window seat. Then centered the side board. I'd like to use my iron peice somewhere in the room. Just sat it on console to see if something of that scale needs to go on wall. Withou the mirror. Or maybe mirror turned horizontally? Or maybe move the shelves I have on opposite wall and put staggered on wall next to mirror as it's possitioned now?
April 28, 2013 at 4:37pm   
Lablover/Tina
The sideboard on tall wall..
April 28, 2013 at 4:41pm   
Rare Bird
take down the mirror and leave the sculpture in the centre I think that the mirror is too big for the space and it s not in line with ur curtains too high..........................that corner is way too packed
April 28, 2013 at 4:42pm     
gregjswife
Its coming along great! I like the plant in fron of the octagon on the console. Smart!

My first thought was to put the mirror horizontally as you said. Center the sideboard underneath the mirror, put the flowers and candles you have on the small table in your last picture onto the sideboard. Get rid of small table.

That piece of round iron scrollwork is nice and i would try to incorporate it somewhere in the room. Maybe in place of the shelf with the small picture. You could also remove the hutch and center the mirror on the wall, vertically, as it is, but brought down 6-12 inches and centered (even or just above line of curtain rods unless you're raising those). What happened to that beautiful black wooden chair? I would put that where you have the animal print chair.

You're doing great! Dramatic changes already : )
April 28, 2013 at 6:16pm     
gregjswife
Can i ask you what store did the black chair come from? Love that piece!
April 28, 2013 at 6:20pm   
Lablover/Tina
Thank you gregsjswife. This is so hard because my family all live out of state and I am not very good at arranging things. I just know its not placed right when you have to keep looking at it and it just doesn't seem in it's right place. I tried moving the Schnadig chair where u suggested. What do you think?
April 28, 2013 at 7:46pm   
Lablover/Tina
Here's photo of chair. By the way you asked where it was purchased. I bought it at RC Willey Furniture in Utah.
April 28, 2013 at 7:52pm     
house1121
i like the decorations on the wall so yes i think changing wall color is best
April 28, 2013 at 7:53pm   
house1121
and i was about to say move the clock and center the console and mirror but as i figured others already said that :)
April 28, 2013 at 8:00pm   
Lablover/Tina
The continuing project. Taking down old curtains. If I hung rods along ceiling outside of the bay, would it make the room feel smaller? Compared to being inside the bay as you see?
April 28, 2013 at 8:13pm   
Lablover/Tina
House1121 what color would you suggest for walls?
April 28, 2013 at 8:17pm   
19grundy
Don't take too much of your personality from the room! What about laying the big mirror on it's side over the side board rather than standing tall? A warm taupe or coffee wall colour would be nice. Maybe a shimmery metallic paint, pearl. It was an interesting room, but I love the order of it now. Keep the curtains as they are a nice colour, flowing and soft - maybe change valance or no valance? Great room and fantastic collection of furniture.
April 29, 2013 at 2:16am     
Lablover/Tina
I have anothere idea before I have my husband move the big black mirror. What about taking the black mirror off that wall totally and switching it with the one by the front door. Maybe using it as a floor mirror by the front door or leaning mirror.
April 29, 2013 at 5:51am   
Lablover/Tina
Front door mirror.
April 29, 2013 at 5:51am     
house1121
On phone now would.have to look pics again from computer
April 29, 2013 at 6:09am   
gregjswife
I think you're on the right track, that mirror would look good as a standing mirror near the door. The one by the front door would work great over the console. I would flank it with something on each side to provide even more interest, maybe sconces?

As for the curtains, I don't think anyone realized that you have the soffit there. Moving them up onto the soffit might not work, since it will hide your beautiful bay window. Removing the valances might help. If you want to use different valances, maybe using a print (I'm thinking stripes and a plain, straight valance) with your sage, black and cream color scheme would be a good idea.
April 29, 2013 at 6:52am     
gregjswife
P.s. I like the chair in that spot!
April 29, 2013 at 6:58am   
Lablover/Tina
Which mirror do you like on the high wall before moving the black mirror? Of course now that I've moved the clock, the black mirror looks even more out of place. Before I move it centered or across the room in the niche by the front door, I need your opinion with now seeing both in the same spot.
April 29, 2013 at 8:24am   
Lablover/Tina
I have a pair of this lamp. I don't kno about the color though?
April 29, 2013 at 8:33am   
Stikwood
Stikwood is 100% real wood and will totally transform this room, it will add texture and warmth. We have a lot of different colors/products to choose from. And the best part is that you can do it yourself. It is a beautiful room!
April 29, 2013 at 8:45am   
erasistible
I like the octagon mirror above the console. I would like it better if it were black. I think you really love the black mirror (I would too) but I think it is just too big for this room. Do you really hate the octagon window or did you just hate having to give it a window treatment? I like it and think you could just leave it as it is with no window treatment unless you need privacy. I think your room is coming along nicely by just rearranging things. Wait until you paint!
April 29, 2013 at 8:49am   
Lablover/Tina
Stikwood - thank you and I will check that out!
April 29, 2013 at 9:09am   
Lablover/Tina
Erasistible -I agree with you on the color of mirror. The octagon window is just a little larger than I like and yes it's made me less fond of it not knowing how to dress it.:)
April 29, 2013 at 9:13am   
Lablover/Tina
Let me try to repost these lamps I have.
April 29, 2013 at 9:17am   
erasistible
You could do the window treatment like this and put some metal work on the soffit.
April 29, 2013 at 9:39am   
gregjswife
I like the lamp, but not in this space. If you want that mirror to be framed in black, use black matte spray paint! Just tape off the edges really well and cover the mirror with paper to protect it.
April 29, 2013 at 9:45am   
Lablover/Tina
Erasistible - would I do the window treatment to the clock or bring it all the way over to the octagon window?
April 29, 2013 at 9:59am   
Lablover/Tina
Gregjswife - I think i'll try that in black.
April 29, 2013 at 10:01am   
Kevin Retired Decorator
The console is ornate so you need a very simple mirror.
April 29, 2013 at 10:01am     
Lablover/Tina
Kevin - Are you thinking keep the black mirror but centered?
April 29, 2013 at 10:06am   
Lablover/Tina
Stikwood - love your suggestion but, I would have no idea where to put it and what color or tone to use in this room. The wood is gorgeous in the pictures!
April 29, 2013 at 10:36am   
Kevin Retired Decorator
No sadly I feel the large mirror is to tall and the other is to ornate. A simple oval or rectangle mirror 24"-30"s wide and 36"s tall in a dark wood or gold frame.For over the french console. Would the large mirror fit in the entry ? Maybe the ornate mirror with the diamond pattern could work over the sofa ? And hang the pics over the sofa over the french console. Could you take the valances off the window and just leave he curtains? Maybe a photo of the 4th wall missing and some more new angles of photos would help us to figure out the room. There's so much stuff it's hard to tell what to recommended. What is the size of the room and the shape? Would you happen to have any pictures of the room empty ? Or maybe draw it out on paper with no furniture and take a pick of it. I have some ideas but I'm wondering about the layout as a whole. Possibly shifting all the sofas etc around. But I would have to see a floor plan 1st. You know you could possibly take that large mirror and cover that odd shaped window. Just cover the window with fabric 1st so from the outside it will still look OK. You have a lot of lovely things but proper placement and editing needs to be done.
April 29, 2013 at 10:37am     
gregjswife
Lucky duck! Kevin Retired Decorator has some great ideas. What about putting a film over the octagon and then putting the mirror in front of that? Whatever you do, don't make it one continous wall of curtains extending from the bay. It needs to be separate or it will look weird.
April 29, 2013 at 10:49am   
Lablover/Tina
Kevin.- I am so thankful for all your help! I am going to clear out this room and draw out the floor plan. Also I think my couch and loveseat are maybe too much in this room. We have a beautiful snow covered mountain view in the winter and had the house angled a certain way for the scenery. I always wanted swivel chairs by the bay but only purchase on sale or clearance. We have a mish mash of items and end up with too much seating in this room cause when people come we don't have enough seating.
April 29, 2013 at 11:10am   
nazzgirl329
Im just jumping in to this conversation and I have to say I am intrigued. I think this room has so much potential but like someone said earlier, I think you need to start first with the de-cluttering. If I may, I'll put in my two cents. I think the curtains have to go. (specifically the swags). I think they are literally dragging your space down. Also, what about trying to hang the round iron work inside the octagonal window? I would group your plants and keep them in monochromatic (try spray painting) planters. This will give more visual cohesiveness. What about trying the clock in the small space to the left of (as you're looking at ) the front door? Taking it from next to the small window will open up that space. Besides, I think the natural tendency is to come into the room to put keys, etc. down on a small table (one that you already have below small window). Going behind the door seems less streamlined. The clock is visible once the door is closed. I love the color scheme with the black and taupe. Dont worry so much about filling the space; it is beautiful and sometimes less is more....
April 29, 2013 at 11:15am   
nazzgirl329
Also, I meant to say I LOVE the way you placed the etched mirror in front of the large one and I actually really like that the mirror is huge and slightly off center!
April 29, 2013 at 11:16am     
Lablover/Tina
Gregsjswife - I might end up closing off the octagon but, I'm going to first clear out and start from scratch.
April 29, 2013 at 11:18am   
nazzgirl329
Keep posting pics!
April 29, 2013 at 11:20am     
Nancy Walton
I agree with Kevin, you need to remove everything and start over. I also think the grandfather clock should be in the wall to the left of the door as you're facing it. Maybe some art instead of so many mirrors? I'm not a fan of mirrors in the living space, personally. I think the round metalwork hanging in the octagon window is a great idea. I have a 45" round window in my living room, and I have a stained glass piece hanging in it. And I know you have already removed the valance over that window, but also remove it in the bay. Those kind of valances are outdated, sadly. Do you have other rooms you could put some of your plants in? there are too many, and if any of them are not real, I would remove them.
April 29, 2013 at 11:30am   
Lablover/Tina
Thanks Nancy for comment. I did have the iron piece in the octagon. I was wanting to paint and thought to change it up. I haven't been real happy with the oulay in the room for a long time. Just can't seem to get a good look or flow. Especially with the giant bay. Not sure furniture placement in room let alone just dressing that bay. It's just getting warm here in utah and need to wait another week or so before I can put most of my plants back outside for the summer. I've checked into stained/etched glass for the octagon and it was a little too much money at the time. I'll have to make do for now.
April 29, 2013 at 11:42am   
Lablover/Tina
Kevin - I found these drawings of the living room but will post more pics as I clean the room out. Thanks so much.
April 29, 2013 at 11:44am   
gregjswife
Check this out for the octagon window, just to distort the look from the outside if you decide to lean the mirror up against it.
http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Rice_Paper_Window_Film/270/
April 29, 2013 at 11:56am   
Lablover/Tina
Kevin - this is another angle in the living room looking into the kitchen
April 29, 2013 at 12:19pm   
erasistible
I think I would hang the curtains half of the panel to the left of where the wall ends and half in front of the window or the whole panel in front of the window. If they go too far over to the octagon window, It would look weird. I agree with Kevin about the octagon mirror being too ornate to place over the chest. I don't know what you want to keep and what you would like to replace. I get the feeling that you are trying to use what you have first if that is just not working you will eventually purchase new things. That's what I have to do.
April 29, 2013 at 12:20pm   
erasistible
I like the idea of the round iron piece in the octagon window.
April 29, 2013 at 12:21pm   
Nancy Walton
Check these out for stained glass. http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Ainsley_Art_Glass/730/

They are all on sale now for around $100 plus shipping

The last photo is the one I have from Sportmen's Guide, slightly more money, but still reasonable.
April 29, 2013 at 12:37pm   
Nancy Walton
I went back and read your original post: "It is so cluttered." You said it, so remove everything from tabletops, shelves, walls, and start over. If you're going to put something like the stained glass in the window, don't put anything else on that wall beside it. Move the grandfather clock to the wall to the left of the door as you look at it, and don't put anything else on that wall. You mentioned that you don't have enough seating, but you don't really have room to add furniture and I noticed on your blueprint that your window say "seat." Why don't you have cushions made and make that a window seat? Seating problem solved. If you still need room for plants in the winter, you could remove the cushion on one or both sides...

Remove the wallpaper, it is too fussy. Use paint to make a color statement. Since you have no color in room, pick a color out of fabric used on window seat cushions. Have a few throw pillows made to match, but mix them up with other coordinating pillows with texture. Have a few brights for a pop of color.

You are right, the room is not large enough for both a sofa AND a loveseat. Two smallish arm chairs would be more versatile. If you decide on a mirror for the corner over the dresser, choose two buffet lamps (tall, slender) so the corner will be lit at night, and the mirror will reflect the light.

Hope this helps.
April 29, 2013 at 12:55pm     
Lablover/Tina
Got the window seat cleared out.
April 29, 2013 at 3:25pm     
Lablover/Tina
Nancy Walton - Thank you for your comments. Your stained glass is beautiful.I was thinking of one that fits to the window and they are hard to find in octagon shape. Thats kinda why I had the round iron in there for now. It was alot less expensive than a custom made piece.
April 29, 2013 at 3:41pm   
Kevin Retired Decorator
Looks so much better with out the valances. Will you be able to remove the rods for them too? I tell you what this room has me puzzled. If feel it would look best if you had a pair of matching chairs in the bay window corner with a table & lamp between them. Then a sofa on the 8' wall with chairs at each end using the ones you have. So you would have two seating areas. You might be be able to use the leopard bench in front of the sofa instead of a coffee table if it's not to long.. The room has so many angles and bay windows and a cathedral ceiling , then the staircase. The room will look best I feel to not have so much furniture. So that would mean losing the loveseat, the larger buffet and the clock. Then you could use the window seat for some display things. 3 items on each bay. two of them being larger plants. and one decorative item like what you have shown in the last photo. Of the 2 chairs you have I would put the wood back one on the staircase side and the other one where the french console was.
April 29, 2013 at 3:59pm     
joniramsay
Why does it have to be much other than a back drop for the artwork and accessories you already have in place. Less is more.
April 29, 2013 at 4:12pm   
lovinglife7
Keep the large mirror but turn it on its side so it's horizontal above the dresser.
April 29, 2013 at 4:19pm   
Kathryn Peltier Design
I just read through this whole thread, so forgive me if I have missed some things or repeat others. First of all, your bay window looks very nice since you have removed the valance and items from it. As far as draperies outside of the bay, I think it's a good idea but I don't think you have enough room to do it and make it look full enough. Stacked back, draperies are just going to eat up more of the little wall space the you have. If you hang them outside the window, then I think they are going to have to cover the ends of the windows. That's fine, but I'm not sure that's what you want? That's just MHO.

As far as I can see, you still haven't settled upon any kind of wall color. I think this is going to be challenging to do, since the one main wall in the room is partial, and the others extend into other areas. I don't think that an accent color would look good on the partial wall because I think it will draw too much attention to the height - which in and of itself is fine, but I think might look awkward if it doesn't blend in. Since the bay leads to the view, what would you think of painting the bay an accent color? It doesn't even have to be a different color, just a darker version of the wall color. I would paint the ceiling, the side walls and the seat all the same (although I can't tell what the material is on the seat - is it wood?) To add color, you could have a couple of stationary drapery panels made for each end and have seat cushions made in the same fabric, continuing color and pattern all the way around. Here is a room with a bright print (although hung outside) - this is the kind of thing that would bring pattern and color to the room (imagine the cushion in the same pattern):
Violet's Nursery

Here's one that shows a printed drapery with a solid cushion. The stacked variety of pillows would soften the look, too. Another idea in this photo is the trim above the window. This would be very pretty in your room and if you trimmed the soffit above and added some matching panels underneath, it would really make this an elegant focal point.
Windowseat

This scale of pattern would be great in your room
Niche Interiors: San Francisco Interior Design Services

If you added trim above, here is another simple way to add a drapery which wouldn't have to stack back on the wall:
Bedroom

A cafe-style curtain would be another idea, if you want to change what you have. Of course, this would only work if it would give you enough privacy, but if it covered about 3/4 (as shown here) it might work for you. It could be a print instead of a sheer. Even with them closed, then, you would be able to see the mountains.
woodlawn residence

The window seat is such a focal point and such a charming feature in this room that I think you really need to play it up! I would go with a darker neutral on the walls (carmel, greige, mocha, straw?) which will also show off your white trim and give a lot more depth to the room. It would also help the dark tone of the couch and loveseat blend into the room more. This color would be a main color (background or accent) in the print for the window draperies/cushion. Have a pillow or two made out of the same fabric. Now you have a wall color going and color at the window, pulled back to the couch/loveseat.

To be continued...(sorry, I'm rambling on)
April 29, 2013 at 7:52pm     
Kathryn Peltier Design
I am trying to figure out how you can place your furniture in here. It is tough, because you have so little actual wall space. I think the couch obviously has to go on the partial wall, and if you keep the loveseat, I think that has to stay where it is, too. I like the pretty side chair, and that looks nice where you have it in front of the bay. I think you could probably keep the round vintage chair (very cool!) to the left of the bamboo chest, in front of the window on that end. I have to say that I think the clock looks too crowded onto the wall between the octagonal window and the bay window. I like the cabinet under the octagonal window, but it needs to be centered under it.

Several people have suggested taking your very tall mirror and hanging it horizontally over the couch. I think that if you want to keep it, that is probably the best spot for it, and it would reflect the outside view (a plus!). The other location for it might be behind the door with the iron console table. The mirror might even hang down below the console, as if it's kind of the whole wall - not sure how that would look, but it's worth a try. I happen to like that octagonal mirror, but I would not use it over the bamboo cabinet. I think that this is where you need a painting or watercolor with color! Everything you have is very monochromatic. I think that is fine, but since you asked about color, I think you need to bring it in with your accessories (and keep it to one major color and maybe a tiny bit of a secondary accent). Don't add too much though - the room already has a lot going on, plus you want the view to be center stage.
April 29, 2013 at 8:26pm   
Kathryn Peltier Design
One more, and then I'll stop - I promise! Here is one more window seat which has somewhat the treatment I am talking about, with the color semi-wrapped inside of it. The darker color on the ceiling makes the whole thing feel cohesive and like it's a special space. This one has printed curtains inside the bay, too (although a solid seat cushion)
April 29, 2013 at 8:29pm   
I was going to suggest what Kevin did on his last post. Only a sofa on the big wall with your leopard bench as a coffee table. Two chairs and a round table at the corner of the window seat. I'd leave the space "open" as you walk in the front door for a spacious, yet cozy feel. But, I agree with 19grundy NOT to lose your personality. Sometimes "clutter" done well can look fabulous and will fit your personal style. Center the console below the octogan window and the console/mirror on the right of the window seat. You asked about color palette. I'm thinking the leopard/teal with neutrals is it! You have fabulous "stuff" to work with!
April 29, 2013 at 9:06pm   
Lablover/Tina
Wow I am so overwhelmed today. Exhausted from trying to move these things around by myself (I have an injury in neck and back and can't lift over 10 lbs). So, the room can't be totally emptied. I have tried to move things from one end to the other against walls. I think I need to start from scratch though and get the room painted first and then use the suggestions above on dressing it. I was trying to give the room a formal feel with putting the wallpaper up. But, it's been up now a good 12 years or so. I left the rods up from the valance in bay because I had an idea (I am a very visual person). I was trying to envision with it how a cornice might look that comes down over the sheers (which would be even with the top of window frame, 8 or 10 inches from soffit). Simple straight cornice or a high wood moulding to paint black. That would pull your eye to the window seat and bring in the dark pieces in the room (?) I wasn't thinking of putting cushions in the window since as it is carpeted already and I can't keep my lab out of the one side. Although, the cushions are a wonderful idea, I don't know if I could keep my Lab off of them and if the sheers would still be operable to use. Today, my focus is paint color. I was also thinking of painting the ceiling a color (?) I love the idea of the Stikwood and would love to incorporate it into the bay window to bring the outside in (we have lots of trees outside the bay). I liked the idea of displaying a piece of art on the tall wall too, where the black mirror is. I'd love to have a picture of trees. Nature pictures are so soothing/calming and fresh. Also, I love using mirrors. To me it makes the space seem larger (if you know how to place them right in the room. haha) Oh, do I need to be focusing on taking down wallpaper or picking out paint samples. Give me your thoughts... Thanks.
April 30, 2013 at 7:17am   
Lablover/Tina
P.S. I love the idea of Painting the inside of the bay too!
April 30, 2013 at 7:23am   
gregjswife
It will take some work to get the wallpaper down. If you have a paint color in mind, it might help you to be motivated to get that wallpaper off the walls, it's often a frustrating and tedious task. Rent or buy a wallpaper steamer! I would go to the paint store and look at some chips, bring them home to consider in your light. I am still thinking that a grayed out sage green is your best bet. Then, take some time and remove your wallpaper. Maybe invite a friend to help or play your favorite music while you work on it.
April 30, 2013 at 7:43am   
Lablover/Tina
Gregjswife - Are you thinking to paint all the walls the same tone above and below chair rail? And the tall wall (the black mirrors on) that goes over into the kitchen area above one wall of cabinets? What about the ceiling?
April 30, 2013 at 7:51am   
Lablover/Tina
I was on the computer and came upon this for the octagon window. I called for a quote and she said it was made out of mdf wood and very lightweight which is good for hanging. But, the price was $290.00 not including shipping. I'll have to stick to the round one for now which I put back in there.
April 30, 2013 at 8:01am   
Lablover/Tina
This was the idea I was trying to achieve. Something where I can be sitting in the living room and still be able to see the snow covered mountains or the hummingbirds feeding on the covered porch in the summer.
April 30, 2013 at 8:05am   
gregjswife
I was thinking all the same color. If you want to go one shade darker on the wall below the chair rail, that would work too, just keep them all from the same paint card. Simple white for the ceiling. I do like the ideas posted above re: the bay window, but you have a lot of interesting accessories. I would say simplify the walls and let your accessories stand out.

As for the wall that flows into the kitchen, you can continue the sage color (if it matches the kitchen) or perhaps get a piece of molding to go up the wall to separate your space. It would be even with your shelf. Not sure how that would look in your space.

Btw, I really like that piece of ironwork for your octagon window. $290 seems like a high price. Maybe you can find one similar at a lower cost, or you can ask for that one as a gift?
April 30, 2013 at 8:38am   
Kathryn Peltier Design
I really think that you should stick with one color for all the walls. You have a lot going on in this room - the bay window, a partial wall, the stair, angles, etc, before you even get furniture in the room. One color creates a background for your furniture and accessories, instead of being a focal point in their own right.
April 30, 2013 at 8:49am     
Lablover/Tina
Kathryn Peltier Design - Thank you for all of the information on the bay window. It is specified in the drawings as a seat but we have never used it as one (except for the dog). It is so deep and a bit high when you sit on it and you would have to fill with a lot of pillows to rest against. Then ,I thought also seeing from the outside, pillows against the window might look funny (because the window comes all the way down to a white tile at the bottom). I've been hesitant to take the sheers out because the decorator that made them said I needed something soft in the window. I had pleated shades under them at one time but they got worn out and I threw them out. The windows so large, I had 2 in each side. This window has been harder than anything to dress. I like the sheers but they're old too. What colors of paint would you do in this room?
April 30, 2013 at 9:10am   
Lablover/Tina
And what are your thoughts as to the wallpaper? It wraps all the way around the niche by the front door and goes up the stairs to the end of the hall.
April 30, 2013 at 9:13am   
Lablover/Tina
Front entry
April 30, 2013 at 9:16am     
Lablover/Tina
I like it alot because it's heavy duty paper and kinda reflects the images in the light. At the end of the hallway upstairs there's a bathroom with a window. The evening sun comes in and shines down the hallway and gives the paper a nice brightening on images.
April 30, 2013 at 9:19am   
Lablover/Tina
looking into front room from lover level family room.
April 30, 2013 at 9:24am   
Lablover/Tina
image from kitchen looking at front door. Part of the banister was removed in order to get an armoire up the stairs. Haven't fixed that yet. Also, there are a couple of tables that don't belong in there.
April 30, 2013 at 9:31am   
Kathryn Peltier Design
I was thinking of something in about this saturation - not necessarily the color

I think the kind of greige color I see on the side of the stairs is probably right, but I would darken it a couple of shades and maybe warm it up just a slight bit. With the darker paint color, your woodwork will pop out and it will create a mid-tone for the couches. Of course, this will have to carry into the kitchen, so it whatever color would have to work there, too. I don't think it will make the room dark, but rather make it look richer and also make your windows/view more prominent.

I like the wallcovering on the stair. I think I would leave that alone. It creates a lighter tone moving into another part of the house, and I like the subtle pattern it gives. I think it works well with your accessories.
April 30, 2013 at 11:02am     
Kathryn Peltier Design
This kind of mocha color would work.

OK, I get the issue with the window seat, but what about using it when you have a party? You could have just a pad made - kind of like the little thin chair pads for outdoor chairs - for each side and just put them out when you have a lot of company. In fact, if you made them out of indoor/outdoor fabric, I don't actually know why the dog couldn't lie on them! That would at least provide a lot of room for guests to site when you're entertaining.

If you do a mocha or darker greige color on the walls, then I would pick a fairly bright color as your accent. You could go with an apple green, which would be pretty against either of those colors, or you could go into the warm tones - a coral would be pretty, too. You could even switch them for summer and winter.

You don't happen to have a round ottoman sitting around in a different room somewhere do you? I think it would be nice to have a coffee table in here, but an ottoman could serve as a table and additional seating. This could be another place to bring in brighter accent color if you want to. I like the round because it plays against the square room, the windows and the furniture, plus it makes it feel like you could pull the side chairs up to it.

I agree that the sheers are somewhat dated looking, but tell me how you use the windows. Are the curtains open during the day? Do you require more privacy than that? Do you require more privacy than the sheers deliver at night? What about the dog - is he hard on the window treatments? I still think that a patterned drapery, even if it's a dummy, would be nice on the ends.
April 30, 2013 at 11:17am     
Lablover/Tina
Kathryn Peltier Design - The paint is a taupe hue which went well with the carpet at the time. Is it ok to put a paint with a yellow tone against this taupe carpet? The carpet will be coming out of that room but later on. I think it was Kevin that recommended the BM Olive Providence. It looked real pretty as far as I could tell online. I also like the color you sent from the Anna Rue picture. It looks like it has a yellow hue too. What about taking down the paper on the inside walls to living room or should I leave it and paint where it is not? I like your idea about the bay window. I like the idea of putting thin pads for when people come over. The dog would not be on Them. He only lays there during the day to watch the world go by and to soak up the sun. I open these first thing in the morning and then close at dusk. I do like privacy though and wish I could figure something out for that. As far as an ottoman - I have a fairly large square brown leather one. But not round. And as far as the dog being hard on the window treatment? Well, that's why they are always open during the day. Then their fine.
April 30, 2013 at 12:01pm   
Kevin Retired Decorator
Wasn't me that suggested the paint color, I think Kathryn's ideas are spot on. I think you need to remove all the wall paper but the stair well. With a open plan it's best to paint everything the same color. Your white trim will pop with a contrast color on the walls. I would remove the chair rail to. Have you thought about taking out the octagonal window and dry wall it out? Then use a louvered shutter on the outside the same shape. Just a thought ? Then you could put the clock there. I feel like the room has so many windows & door ways it makes it hard to place furniture. I would also remove or paint out the extra wood moldings on the stair sides. They feel Victorian and sort of a 80s look. The entry chandelier also feels dated. And doesn't match the wall light fixture. I would stop worrying about the cathedral ceilings keep your art below the 8 foot level the point of the design in the home They feel spacious with open space above. Open wall space between & around things is important to keep a nice visual flow. For furniture and wall decor. A over decorated room can be as bad as no decor at all. Your wall decor is all ornate so when you do to much it makes what can be a statement piece just become less important looking. IMHO
April 30, 2013 at 12:44pm   
Hi lablover..it looks like you love an "elegant parlour" feel. I think your tan/animal print/teal can look quite beautiful. Here are some samples of paint options and teal accent. Your hall wallpaper is beautiful. Okay... this is not everyone's cup of tea, but a black wainscotting (including chair rail) can look very elegant. It would look great with your leopard print accents. For your window seat, how about luxurious drapes (rounding the corner with elegant tassles on the window sides)? Here is a configuration for the window seat that may work for you. The center panels to close for privacy and open for the morning sunshine. Your chandelier is vintage pretty! Painting the gold part of the chandelier black may look stunning!
Gracie Towhomes
Kemptown House
LIving Room Window Seat
Forest Manor Model Home
April 30, 2013 at 2:13pm   
BTW...do you hate the octagon window only because of the shape? Maybe you can get a round frame and attach to the wall only to cover the shape? Then, it will be a round decorative window instead of the octogon shape with do no window treatment at all. Unless you want to install window film to diffuse light as well.
April 30, 2013 at 2:35pm   
gregjswife
I suggested the providence olive, I think. I thought you wanted to paint the walls and utilize some of the accessories you have. I've seen that color in person and it's fairly similar to the top of the chair rail in the forest manor home posted above.
April 30, 2013 at 3:20pm     
Kathryn Peltier Design
@lablover: it is very, very hard to talk about specific paint colors without being in the room, let alone online. I only thought it would be nice to go a little warmer in color to warm up the room. If you want to stick with a neutral, then maybe the mocha tone would be the way to go. If you like the green, go with that, but yes - take down the wallpaper except at the stair and paint the entire wall one color. Again, having two different colors/finishes on the wall in the living room is just going to visually segment, especially in a deeper tone. I am with Kevin: I would remove the chair rail, too, for the cleanest look. One of the determining factors here is what is going to work best in your kitchen on that end wall, but of course, also the carpet if it will remain for the time being, as well as your furniture. Just go deep enough with the paint color to make a statement, not just another neutral. Think of it as a mid-tone between the dark of the couches and the clock, for instance, and the light of the carpet. You have a lot of very dark furniture against a lot of very light wall finishes which makes the eye jump from dark to dark. What you want is that mid-tone which will provide a softer transition color for the background. What color is the upholstery on your round-back chair? What color is your chest (it looks green and pink?)?
April 30, 2013 at 3:55pm   
Stamps Design Services
I think you have enough furniture and accessories in the space; how about adding pattern to the wall?
April 30, 2013 at 4:00pm   
Lablover...Definately try several different paint samples and do swatches next to the carpet color, entry floor, wallpaper, behind the sofa, furniture, etc to find the perfect shade. It may take several days (and nights) looking at the swatches to see which shade works the best with everything. It's tough sometimes! I know your LR will turn out beautifully because you have all the right stuff to make it happen. Thank you for keeping us posted with your updates.

Hi Stamps..it's kinda hard to see but Lablover has a subtle wallpaper design now, a bit like your ideas (which is pretty paper BTW). :)
April 30, 2013 at 5:19pm     
Lablover/Tina
Gregjswife - sorry I was in a hurry to get somewhere and tried to find who suggested that color paint to me. Well I went to the paint store and think I need to get more samples. I brought home a new Behr 2013 paint chip (attached), the BM Providence Olive and for fun the Fossil Butte. What do u think?
May 1, 2013 at 8:17am   
Lablover/Tina
The grey is horrible! Disregard that one. :)
May 1, 2013 at 8:19am   
Lablover/Tina
I liked the color in the bottom right photo on the rihht of the grey until I applied on the wall. Too dark.
May 1, 2013 at 8:30am   
Lablover/Tina
Here
May 1, 2013 at 8:34am   
Kathryn Peltier Design
Yes, I agree that the right hand one is too dark, but I think that might be the right direction - just needs to lighten up a bit. The one over the window is probably about the right saturation, but I tend to think it might look too yellow??? What do you think of this Benjamin Moore color - I didn't see any really good browns on the Behr paint chart but I'll look at some others that Home Depot carries (Glidden e.g.) http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/toastedmarshmallow
May 1, 2013 at 8:42am   
Lablover/Tina
Kathryn Peltier Design - closer look at the console table and swivel chair colors.
May 1, 2013 at 8:43am   
Kathryn Peltier Design
So is the chair kind of a greige color? And the console is green, right, with creamy accent?
May 1, 2013 at 8:45am   
Lablover/Tina
Darzy- I like the round idea on the octagon.
May 1, 2013 at 8:46am   
Lablover/Tina
Darzy - thank you for the photos. I don't kno about the black wainscot. I think all my dark furniture kinda fills the bottom of the space with almost too much contrast. (?)
May 1, 2013 at 9:31am   
Lablover/Tina
Kathryn Peltier Design - yes the console is cream/green. The chair is just green.
May 1, 2013 at 9:51am   
Lablover/Tina
Kathryn Peltier Design - I do like that Toasted Marshmellow! Very warm. I brought up the color on my Notebook to give u a peek.
May 1, 2013 at 10:18am   
Kathryn Peltier Design
I'm not sure - it might be too yellow still. gregswife had suggested a green. You might try matching the chair with a very muted gray-green, too. I'll look again later - gotta run!
May 1, 2013 at 10:24am   
Lablover..just to clarify...are you leaving all of the wallpaper or just the stair wall wallpaper? Did you decide just to paint where you have paint now? Yes, black wainscotting isn't for everyone. I like to throw different ideas out to give posters more options.
May 1, 2013 at 5:14pm   
gregjswife
On the stairs picture, from left to right, it goes providence olive, grey, fossil butte, correct? What is the color over the window?
May 1, 2013 at 6:08pm   
Lablover/Tina
It's all 3 of the 4 colors I put on the stair wall except the grey. I took a picture of the paint chip and posted above (its Golden Age).
May 1, 2013 at 7:21pm   
Lablover/Tina
Darzy - yes I am going to take down the paper. I was working on a paint color first. Then going to start the big project. Didn't make it back to Home Depot today but will again in a.m. and I hope you know I really do appreciate your ideas. Thanks :)
May 1, 2013 at 7:25pm   
علي عوده
جميل
May 1, 2013 at 7:34pm   
Kevin Retired Decorator
I like the color under the black chip above the is no name on it. Is that one of the samples on the stair wall ? I really like the color you already have under the stair wall the best. Or a shade or 2 darker.
May 1, 2013 at 8:31pm     
Lablover/Tina
Kevin Retired Decorator - I know the picture shows up smaller of the paint chip than it actually is. If u click on it or use ur pointer finger on it, it enlarges. The name is Golden Age. It is on the stair wall on the very right. Also, it is onthe wall in the picture right next to the black/golden age paint chip.
May 1, 2013 at 9:06pm   
Kevin Retired Decorator
(@ Tina Thanks for the info.) I like the color if it goes with the carpet and flooring. And of course with everything else. I love golds they feel so rich looking. I haven't had enough time to read everything the past few days.s
May 1, 2013 at 9:36pm     
irishgirldesigns
Tina, I am feeling so sad after reading about your room. When I saw the first "before" photograph that you had posted, I immediately loved so many things that you had done. You have a wonderful style that is very dramatic. I agreed with Brenda when she wrote, "It's a fun room. It reminds me of one of those great little overstuffed boutique shops that you stumble into on vacation. Tone on tone, with strong black accents and a bit of green ... there is a lot to like about the room." And 5 other people agreed, too! Your natural style is sumptuous, rather French, full of texture and drama. You even use contrast well, bringing in bold, dark lines and deep blue accents. Sure, it's all right to switch a few things around or update your window treatments if that is what you would like to do ... but please don't change too much. Your own style is lovely and dramatic!
May 2, 2013 at 12:13am     
Kathryn Peltier Design
You know, I saw that color Kev is talking about and didn't realize you'd painted another color there (from the previous photo). I like that color too. I think it brings a certain richness and warmth to the walls - what I thought might work with the Toasted Marshmallow, but doesn't. I am concerned, though, about it working with the wallpaper.
May 2, 2013 at 6:41am   
@irishgirldesing... I couldn't agree more! Some tweaking and editing is in order for sure but irishgirl's point is why I mentioned that a LITTLE "clutter" is okay sometimes. I too actually like the oversized mirror above the chest (centered). Breaking the rules (in a good way) looks much more interesting and fits the style and personality of you Tina! You aren't designing to "sell"! Yes, great designer advice has been given but trust yourself too and don't lose the personality of your space. Having said that, I'm very glad you removed those swag curtains. :)
May 2, 2013 at 9:59am     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I don't mind the gold walls with the wall paper because the oak railings tie that color in to the hall stairs. Also the gold color sort of updates the oak color by making it more neutral.
May 2, 2013 at 10:32am     
gregjswife
; ) I still like the grey green of providence olive! Your room and furnishings are really good and i agree about the french/boutique look of the room. You can't go wrong!

I thought your screen name was lablover, not Tina! Lol
May 2, 2013 at 6:20pm   
Galleria Place
I think you could use some new wall decor. Check us out we have the best prices around. http://www.bargainbacker.com/Wall-Decor_c_13.html
May 2, 2013 at 6:21pm   
Kevin Retired Decorator
@ Bargain Backer have you even looked at the pics.??? This client has beautiful things. I don't blame you for trying to make a living but at least see if there is a need 1st. Don't assume. I wouldn't buy from you due to your pushy, uncaring ways. Please !!! This isn't a place to push your sales if you don't want to invest in the needs or wants of a nice client. Lisa has most likely has nicer things than you do. @ Lisa Sorry I went off, but non caring sales people here should at least find a need 1st. You have beautiful wall decor. I do everything here for free because I like helping people and enjoy & love my passion for decor. And nice people like you whom want their home to be their beautiful refuge from the world.
May 2, 2013 at 7:05pm     
Nancy Walton
Hear, hear, Kevin!
May 2, 2013 at 8:50pm   
Nancy Walton
I just noticed you had posted a photo of your fron entry, so I photoshopped your clock over in that corner. Keep in mind, the scaling is off on the clock--I'm sure it isn't that big on the wall, but it's an approximation.
May 2, 2013 at 9:07pm   
Lablover/Tina
Kevin Retired Decorator - hahaahhahaa! That's so funny! It's quite ok Kevin.! I've been told I have too much in my room already :). I was wandering why I was getting these kinda odd posts (suggesting me to buy their items).
May 2, 2013 at 9:14pm     
Lablover/Tina
Nancy Walton - Oh my Goodness! Ur so funny too! I knew I hadn't moved that there! I once had it there and got tired of it , and put that table w mirror in that corner.
May 2, 2013 at 9:20pm   
Nancy Walton
LOL!!!
May 2, 2013 at 9:21pm   
Lablover/Tina
Gregjswife - I think i am leaning towards the gold. I love the olive Providence but I think it's because I did my daughters room in a light green last year with a slightly darker accent wall. So still undecided. P.s. yes it's still lablover :)
May 2, 2013 at 9:36pm   
Lablover/Tina
Darzy - I was reading one of your earlier posts - what did you mean when you said for the window treatment hanging tassels on the window sides?
May 2, 2013 at 9:40pm   
gregjswife
Kevin lol! U said what we all want to say in these conversations!
May 3, 2013 at 4:43am     
Hi Lablover...I meant something like this for the curtains on each side of the window. It nods to your elegant style preference and give a little "swag" without the dated valance. I've seen tassels with lion heads, etc if you want a bit of exotic.
Tasseled Tieback
Gold Double Tassel Tiebacks
May 3, 2013 at 9:52am   
BTW...I had posted earlier "I like Golden Age". It somehow got deleted. Maybe it sounded "nuts" but I was referring to the paint chip color that you couldn't see until it was enlarged.
May 3, 2013 at 9:57am   
Lablover/Tina
Darzy - I really, really like that look! And regarding the paint color (Golden Age), Maybe I deleted it by accident? I had updated my profile on here and was having trouble. I still haven't gotten down this whole site yet and how to get around with adding things. (sorry) who knows what else I lost? Thanks for your comment :). I know my large mirror issue is still up in the air, as far as where it's permanent home will be. Originally, I put it there cause I thought it was ok with it centered on that wall as much as i could because the window in the way. And also, being to actually use it from across the space too. I will have to try all senarios when it's down for painting the room.I think too, it might be too skinny or slim to have it positioned that way. It's a very slow process for me as my husband just had shouler surgery too. But, keep checking back :)
May 3, 2013 at 11:24am   
Lablover..sorry about your husband's shoulder surgery. That will slow you down for sure. We'll check back!
May 3, 2013 at 8:27pm   
Lablover/Tina
Good morning! Well got some of the wallpaper down. Here's a photo of the short wall. It was so easy to remove. I guess because it's a vinyl paper. My husband went for Chinese food and I had it down before he got back. Just have to figure out how to get the glue off now. :) I've never taken down wallpaper before and I'm amazed at how easy this was. It came down in sheets.
May 5, 2013 at 9:05am   
Lablover/Tina
Photo of sheets of wallpaper.
May 5, 2013 at 9:11am   
Lablover/Tina
Wanted to see how the large mirror looked in niche by front door.
May 5, 2013 at 9:16am   
Lucky you with the wallpaper coming off so easy! Sometimes it's a real pain! I like the big mirror better over the chest (even tho it's a bit too big there). BTW...what paint color is that? It looks pretty dark. Since you like traditional elegance I think the chair rail two tone works. How about doing the dark below the chairs rail, then paint the upper part two (or three) shades lighter on the paint chip? Are you tired of the chair rail idea tho?
May 5, 2013 at 9:25am   
Lablover/Tina
Yes. But, the husband wants to keep the chair rail. So, I'm out of luck with taking it down.So, I tried painting it the wall color to camouflage it and that didn't work. Do you think the wall color is too dark? It's the paint chip I posted (golden Age)
May 5, 2013 at 10:09am   
I've got to run but a quick thought.... I think the chair rail is fine. So, if you're keeping the chair how about just using the golden age below the chair rail (leaving the chair rail the white of the trim) and painting above the chair rail a lighter version of the Golden Age? I think that would look very nice. We have company coming over but I'm sure others will comment with more (and maybe better) ideas.
May 5, 2013 at 11:24am   
Lablover/Tina
Trying again to post pic here.
May 5, 2013 at 11:44am     
Nancy Walton
I think the color is M-a-h-v-a-l-o-u-s! as Billy Crystal would say. It warms it up tremendously, don't you think?
May 5, 2013 at 12:34pm     
deannaroot
I love love love the first pic you posted, minus the window treatments. The 2nd pic (the 'left' side of the room, with the crosses and blue pillowcases) looks dated and almost as though someone would invite me into that room to "save" my heathen soul. Just too… old lady christian-style. The after pics you've posted are nice and modern, but just look like anything else out there - kinda staged, not lived in, not personalized. I have to say, if you could edit out some of the stuff in the first pic, and a lot of stuff in the other half of the room, what you originally had going on was pretty nice.
May 5, 2013 at 12:51pm   
deannaroot
(Oh, and yes the mirror was a little large for that placement)
May 5, 2013 at 12:52pm   
Kathryn Peltier Design
The color looks great! It does really warm up the room and it looks very nice with your console. Can't wait to see more :-)
May 5, 2013 at 6:42pm   
Kathryn Peltier Design
I actually like the chair rail painted in. It gives a bit of detail but doesn't compete with your furnishings!
May 5, 2013 at 6:56pm     
gregjswife
I like the color!
May 5, 2013 at 7:04pm   
Kevin Retired Decorator
It seems like the new color is the one ! great job !
May 5, 2013 at 7:51pm   
Oh yes! The second picture you posted doesn't look as dark as the first one.Very nice color on my monitor. How does it look in person? Do you like it?
May 5, 2013 at 9:24pm   
Kevin Retired Decorator
Just a idea that grass planter looks good on the buffet how about the smaller mirror behind it and nothing else I feel would look good. I would center the buffet on the wall. It makes a statement but isn't so busy.
May 5, 2013 at 9:37pm     
Kevin Retired Decorator
Less is more bigger is better look !
May 5, 2013 at 9:38pm   
furrytoes
The new paint color is wonderful. Just read thru all of the comments -- the chair rail needs to be painted in a semi-gloss paint, even when it's the same color as the walls. Maybe that's why you don't like it painted the same color???
May 6, 2013 at 6:13pm     
outletsart
You can make your home more Artistic.I hope this can help you to make your home more beautiful. Weclome to my site: Outletarts .com
May 14, 2013 at 12:32am   
Nancy Walton
Tina, how's the room coming? Please post the After pictures.
May 14, 2013 at 8:05am   
The yard it too plain
The yard is really plain you could of maybe put a pretty...
House front facade too plain!
When you enter the gate what welcomes you is a plain...
Portico is too plain!
Love traditional lines of my home but portico is too...
too plain
Does anyone have any suggestions? Our house looks...
Old home
My husband and I are thinking of buying an old Victorian/federalist...
suggestions for the absolutely brightest recessed lighting/bulbs avail
I’m having a hard time finding bright enough bulbs/lights...
Ranch home
Hi there! We are in the process of purchasing this...
Dining room decor
Need advice. Should I put the mirror over the sideboard...
need advice about front door colour and shutters and garage door
We want a different a stronger front door color; there...