Need help for decorating my studio
gozo12
I have a tiny "shoebox studio" . As per the oicture, it has an indented niche that was for the original murphy bed. My murphy bed/combo book shelf is in the opposite wall as it idnt it in the space. I have a sofa that fitst in the niche but want o o something original, mabe 3 dimensional above it to give the allusion of another room. I already have a big mirror next to it that is like a fake window. Ideas anyone? Thanks
OnePlan
is there an art school near to you - as maybe you could commission a mural to give the impression of another room??
April 26, 2013 at 2:27PM     
saw this and thought you might be interested in some ideas: http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/query/studio-space
April 26, 2013 at 2:28PM     
Ed
gozo, beautiful wood floor. Your studio has a very nice, clean and simple design. I like it. :)
April 26, 2013 at 7:20PM   
It's a Beautiful World!
An alternative to mural is an art piece like this. If you put it above your couch it will provide perspective and depth and will visually expand your space. You can have it printed in any size, on canvas, acrylic or metal... Raisa
April 26, 2013 at 11:01PM   
gozo12
Yes it's a great idea - I just am having trouble finding where things like this exist. I would want something that is like a NYC scene to make it seem realistic .
April 27, 2013 at 2:16AM     
I'm going to research for you but you can find amazing wall murals like wallpaper of,scenes of new York and other cities will post when I find
April 27, 2013 at 2:26AM   
smilingtraveller
Love the painting suggestion above. You need some depth. Add colour and mirrors too
April 27, 2013 at 4:12PM     
It's a Beautiful World!
Gozo, since you first said you wanted an illusion of another room, I thought, any abstract illusion of space in general might work as well. But you now want an illusion of a whole city :). You are probably thinking of something like this, except it is not NY but a boardwalk view in Saint-Rafael, French Riviera :) ...which may also work if you beleive you are a citizen of the world who just happens to reside in NY :)... Raisa
April 27, 2013 at 5:59PM   
gozo12
Dear All - Thanks for all your suggestions. I have spent a lot of time on the web, looking and thinking and re-thinking. I thinnk I might get tired of just a photo , even one with dimension. My original thought was that with two windows looking out over the city, it would be "artificial" to create a third window in the niche with a photo of something else, like the beach scene, I am more tempted now by some neat art but something with depth and dimension. OR, another thought is to have a simple trompe l'oeil double door closed, on which I could then hang a painting. Don't know if that's clear. What I didn't say in my original message was that my space is only 300 sq feet, including bathroom. It is a shoebox - a rectangle shape. Opposite the picture I posted with the mirror, niche and couch, is my murphy bed that has shelves on the front (it swivels around and then the bed comes down), plus a tiny kitchette. The two windows are at the end (short side of the rectangle.). So it is soooo important to create the illusion of more space and depth...... All your suggestions are helping me to clarify my own thoughts - keep your comments coming. Thanks.
April 28, 2013 at 5:03AM   
1-World Globes & Maps
How about a historical panoramic map mural of NYC in black and white? http://www.worldmapsonline.com/historicalmaps/new_york_1873_panoramic_wall_map_mural_grey.htm
May 10, 2013 at 12:16PM   
It's a Beautiful World!
Here is another idea if you want to have a nature-inspired art without overwhelming your space with detail or color. We can also adjust colors before printing, if needed.

FYI, all our art prints and art cards are now on sale! You will receive a 20% discount on our artist's commission now through 05/15/2013 when you enter this code at check out: JAEPJJ
Good luck finishing your room!... Raisa

May 10, 2013 at 12:53PM   
joannpb
Useing any scenic shot you like, have your own mural done; apply it to the niche wall; frame the wall like a window (you can use plastic mounding glued to the mural); hang a decorative rod and long drapes at the sides; put the sofa back in there...Voila - new window! http://www.muralsyourway.com/cities-cityscapes-murals/new-york-street-scenes/

ps. you could use a picture taken of a spacious terrace, with the cityscape beyond, then you could treat the full-length mirror like a glass door to give the illusion of an outdoor space through the looking glass.
May 10, 2013 at 1:14PM   
Need help decorating my studio apt.
This is my first home and any suggestions would be...
Need help decorating Studio Apartment
Its about 680 sq ft of an open space with one wall...
Need help on decor for office/living/studio space
I am smack dab in the middle of changing my formal...
Need help with assisted living studio apartment decor
Studio is only 340 sq ft. Need ideas for storage and...
Difficult living room layout
I have a long and narrow living room with way too many...
Living/Dining Room Combo
Hi I am trying to figure out how to layout this space....
What colour wallpaper
I'm wondering what kind of wallpaper would look best...
Need help with exterior paint color.
The majority of our house [ siding] that is already...
kitchen wood compatibility
I am renovating my kitchen. I like the classic look;...