jennlehr
July 28, 2011 in Photo Questions
I would like to create an pavillion like this one in south florida. can anyone tell me what kind of wood (if any) is durable in the direct florida sun and rain? I would be suspending the roof grid between the house, meaning no wood columns, just the roof. thanks. (and please dont tell me pressure treated lumber, thats what ive just ripped down!!!)
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
In your location, I'd suggest fiberglass for strength & durability. When they were more available, I'd suggest redwood or cedar, but even redwood will warp & split over time, and either will mildew in Florida, eventually.

Check these guys out: http://www.arborsdirect.com/attached.asp#_self
July 28, 2011 at 1:44pm   
Niki Papadopoulos
I might say that you could get away with Ipe Wood, we have used it for exterior projects in Atlanta. It ages really beautifully, I would just check with your contractor or local distributor.
July 28, 2011 at 1:56pm   
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
I absolutely agree with @ysdesignblog about ipe, but it generally isn't available in structural sizes big enough to do what you want. It's great for decking, siding and trim, but hard to find in a 2x6 or 2x8.
July 28, 2011 at 2:28pm   
Niki Papadopoulos
Here is a photo of how we used it to create a screen in front of a client's home. We also used it across the top of the windows.
July 28, 2011 at 2:38pm   
jennlehr
ysdesign, that is beautiful. that is what i am trying to create, but how will that weather in the brutal direct, florida sun? and what type of material is that.?
July 28, 2011 at 3:42pm   
jennlehr
I was told Ipe is too heavy to do what i have in mind. Any thoughts>?
July 28, 2011 at 3:44pm   
Niki Papadopoulos
We used ipe for this project and we are in Atlanta...you would need to talk over your options with your landscape architect/designer/contractor/whoever is constructing this for you.
July 28, 2011 at 3:49pm   
hilltop1155
http://www.durablewoods.com/products/timbers.php
This company's website states it can provide timbers in Ipe, Greenwood or Purpleheart.
July 31, 2011 at 4:26pm   
What else do I need by my front door porch? Please advice :)
I cannot seem to finish my porch, what else do you...
Need help with this guest room
This room is very small. I had the head board made...
Need help for new exterior paint color
My husband built this A Frame in the 70's and we are...
Best Dishwasher Detergent?
Some of this probably hinges on the style and effectiveness...
How would you spend $10,000 in your garden?
If you had a windfall, where would your money go in...