Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennlehr

jennlehr
12 years ago
I would like to create an pavillion like this one in south florida. can anyone tell me what kind of wood (if any) is durable in the direct florida sun and rain? I would be suspending the roof grid between the house, meaning no wood columns, just the roof. thanks. (and please dont tell me pressure treated lumber, thats what ive just ripped down!!!)
Toronto outdoor living space · More Info

Comments (8)

• PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    12 years ago
    In your location, I'd suggest fiberglass for strength & durability. When they were more available, I'd suggest redwood or cedar, but even redwood will warp & split over time, and either will mildew in Florida, eventually.

Check these guys out: http://www.arborsdirect.com/attached.asp#_self
  • PRO
    Niki Papadopoulos
    12 years ago
    I might say that you could get away with Ipe Wood, we have used it for exterior projects in Atlanta. It ages really beautifully, I would just check with your contractor or local distributor.
  • PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    12 years ago
    I absolutely agree with @ysdesignblog about ipe, but it generally isn't available in structural sizes big enough to do what you want. It's great for decking, siding and trim, but hard to find in a 2x6 or 2x8.
  • PRO
    Niki Papadopoulos
    12 years ago
    Here is a photo of how we used it to create a screen in front of a client's home. We also used it across the top of the windows.
  • jennlehr
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    ysdesign, that is beautiful. that is what i am trying to create, but how will that weather in the brutal direct, florida sun? and what type of material is that.?
  • jennlehr
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I was told Ipe is too heavy to do what i have in mind. Any thoughts>?
  • PRO
    Niki Papadopoulos
    12 years ago
    We used ipe for this project and we are in Atlanta...you would need to talk over your options with your landscape architect/designer/contractor/whoever is constructing this for you.
  • hilltop1155
    12 years ago
    http://www.durablewoods.com/products/timbers.php
    This company's website states it can provide timbers in Ipe, Greenwood or Purpleheart.