Height of entry doors and windows
J Dawson
shouldn't the glass entry door and the large glass window (not attached to door) but on either side, be the same height?
Riddle Construction and Design
They should align at the top edge, or at least the trim should align. As for overall length, the windows can be full height or they can be shorter depending on the look you want. I generally prefer a longer window.
   April 26, 2013 at 3:07PM
RL MORTON & ASSOCIATES, PC
in general the answer is yes you match heights of the door and the windows (side lites) - which one is taller?
   April 26, 2013 at 3:13PM
Fenstermann LLC
In general, yes. It is hard to tell without a picture.
   April 26, 2013 at 3:17PM
J Dawson
Thanks for your comments. Taking in our screened porch at our lake cottage and the contractor matched new large window height to an old window on side of house, not to the door height on the front. Exterior french door opening is now 51/2" lower than window opening. Trying to decide how to solve problem since it affects exterior and interior and siding has already been installed. One other 24" x 24" square window will be added under the peak of the roof. He hasn't cut and framed that window yet.
   April 26, 2013 at 8:37PM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
At this point, I would use a trim molding treatment that would help to disguise the difference.
1 Like   April 27, 2013 at 4:53AM
Ironwood Builders
Modern window and door construction differ. Both interior and exterior jamb or cladding will be at different locations, even from the same manufacturer. Maintaining headers at the same height in rough framing does not insure that the finished installation will trim out at the same level. Windows often have the trim line an inch to an inch and a half lower than the adjacent door with the headers aligned. Looks to me like you builder knows his stuff.
   April 27, 2013 at 9:43AM
J Dawson
Compromise saves the marriage. We went and bought new doors that were 2" taller and builder lowering windows by 2" so that with trim we can get them closer to the same height.
1 Like   April 27, 2013 at 2:25PM
Ed
Julie, congrats on finding a solution! :)
   April 27, 2013 at 10:32PM
What is the correct name for this?
I am looking for these decorative, short horizontal...
What size tile for a small bathroom
Hi not sure which size will look the best in small...
I need a bathroom vanity with a shallow depth
I have a space allowing for only 18 inches in depth...
Any suggestions for finishing my kitchen/living room
Hi all! I have been working on my kitchen for a while...
Bath tub
We bought a double wide mobile home and the garden...