Need help for colors!!
Lara Piccioni
Hi! I am a 21-year-old girl who shares her bedroom with her 17-year-old brother. We have now decided to renovate our room but we are having troubles deciding the colors. I try to explain how our room looks like.
It is rectangular. On one short wall we have a white ambry, on the other we have a white window. The door and the pavement are medium red alder. We have two small closets which are white and a desk which is light cherry. (http://0.tqn.com/d/homerenovations/1/0/B/J/-/-/KeidelWoodChart.JPG)
We are now going to buy two new sofa beds who should look more or less like this one (http://www.nanaarredamenti.it/MayaDivanoLetto.html) and to paint the walls.
We have been trying to decide which colors to pick for days, but we haven't come to any decision. What would you suggest us? We would like to have bright colors and the beds not of the same color.
If you don't understand well what I mean, tell me and I'll try to explain better, maybe by also posting some pictures.
Brenda
so, you want a color scheme that is both feminine and masculine. i love black, white, grey and chartreuse.

[houzz=Hunter's Creek Farm][houzz=Brunstrom Residence][houzz=Noe Valley Three][houzz=San Francisco Whole House Remodel]
1 Like   April 26, 2013 at 4:56PM
Lara Piccioni
Thank you Brenda, unfortunately I don't think this colors would look good with the furniture we have..
0 Likes   April 26, 2013 at 5:27PM
Lara Piccioni
We would like to have as much color as we can :)
0 Likes   April 26, 2013 at 5:28PM
bclowg
Yes, post some pictures. It's easier to visualize that way! Are you trying to separate your zone and his zone using color?
1 Like   April 26, 2013 at 5:40PM
I suggest that one half of the room is painted one color and the other half another color. Or you could have one background color and then create a block of a different color for your area and your brother's area, such as you see below.

Once you determine what the background colors will be, then you can select your bedding and other colors. We'll be happy to help you with this. But first, tell us what YOUR favorite color is and what is your BROTHER'S favorite color. Then if you want to do what's in the photo below, select another color for the background.

3 Likes   April 26, 2013 at 6:11PM
Lara Piccioni
Thank to all of you! Teal and orange would be a great couple of colors. If you have more inspirational pictures with these colors post them please :) Maybe teal is too bright for the walls, we would like to pick a softer color...Which one do you think would be good if we want to have teal and orange beds?
Here are some images of my room. The first one is the ambry right now, but we are going to make it white. In the second and third picture I marked in red what we are going to keep. The last one is a map that shows how we would like to dispose the furniture (measures are in metres).
I hope this will help you!

ps: sorry if my english isn't perfect, I hope you understand well what I mean ;)
0 Likes   April 27, 2013 at 5:38AM
Lara Piccioni
I know it looks terrible and very messy right now...we really need a restyling ;)
0 Likes   April 27, 2013 at 5:47AM
There are many ways to combine turquoise and orange. In the first photo all the Upholstered furniture is done in a neutral color and then splashes of turquoise and orange are added in the rug, pillows and artwork.

In the second photo it's the bed and chair that show up in turquoise and the lamps are orange. They also painted the back of the bookshelves orange which gives a nice jolt of color in that area.

The walls in photo 3 are painted a light turquoise, Sherwin-Williams 6758 Aqueduct. Orange was chosen for the bed wall in photo 4. So, you see, the two colors can be used in different ways.

Is that rug of yours turquoise and orange? I am hoping the answer is yes, because that's a great starting point for your room redecoration project.
East Living Room in Spanish Oaks
East Hampton
Traditional Home Design
Mill Valley Orange Bedroom in pewter and tangerine
3 Likes   April 27, 2013 at 7:29AM
Lara Piccioni
Yes, our rug is orange and turquoise! I really like the first picture, maybe we could use a color like cream for the walls. Do you have pictures which show the contrast between a cream wall and a white closet?
0 Likes   April 27, 2013 at 7:38AM
Lara Piccioni
Do you also know a site where I can find color palettes?
0 Likes   April 27, 2013 at 7:40AM
Try the Sherwin-Williams website where they have a color visualizer that allows you to look at rooms painted in different colors. However, unless you live in North America, I'm not certain you'll be able to buy the product. But at least you can get an idea of what your room would look like with different colors on the walls. Here's the link: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/account/login/
0 Likes   April 27, 2013 at 7:43AM
Here's a cream and white hallway which will show you how the two colors work together.
1 Like   April 27, 2013 at 7:46AM
carolins
This is a nice colour palette for your room if you go for orange and teal: http://design-seeds.com/index.php/home/entry/kingfisher-hues1

and here's the link about how you could get similar colours http://blog.design-seeds.com/2011/12/12/whats-that-color/

Good luck with your project.
1 Like   April 27, 2013 at 7:57AM
Lara Piccioni
Carolins thank you, the palette you posted is just perfect! Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design I live in Europe but the site is inspiring :)
I talked to my brother and he likes these colors too! He thinks that it would be better if we choose turquoise paint because it would create a great contrast with white and wood. At this point the beds should be cream and orange. If you have more inspirational pictures post please! If you also have other ideas I would really appreciate :)
0 Likes   April 27, 2013 at 10:38AM
Turquoise is such a beautiful color. I wish you'd consider painting one or more walls white and the others turquoise. Your brother is right that the turquoise will look great with white and wood. But 4 walls of it might be too much.
the Bauhaus living space The Evergreen House
House of Color
Architecture and Interior Design
2 Likes   April 27, 2013 at 11:18AM
Lara Piccioni
Well, one wall will be completely white because it is a closet. Maybe it's true that it would be too dark. I think it would look good if we painted just one of the long walls, the one in which goes the desk, and keep the others white. In this case, we could buy a turquoise and an orange bed.
1 Like   April 27, 2013 at 12:52PM
Lara Piccioni
Can you name this color? http://www.ima-mobili.com/media/comuni/carta_da_zucchero.jpg
in italian it is "carta da zucchero"
We also like this color for the walls.

]
1 Like   April 27, 2013 at 4:59PM
The walls look periwinkle blue to me.
1 Like   April 27, 2013 at 5:04PM
Lara Piccioni
Searching on google it seems very close to the one of the picture, maybe a little bit too violet.
0 Likes   April 27, 2013 at 5:11PM
I like your idea of one turquoise wall and one bed in turquoise and one in orange.
0 Likes   April 27, 2013 at 5:31PM
Lara Piccioni
I made these drawings. The turquoise is too dark, unfortunately I didn't have a lighter pencil! As you can see I left one of the beds blank, because while I was drawing I had the feeling that it would look better orange. What do you think?
0 Likes   April 27, 2013 at 5:51PM
Lara Piccioni
I forgot to attach the images :/
0 Likes   April 27, 2013 at 5:58PM
Lara Piccioni
In the corner we will put a white bedside and white shelves
0 Likes   April 27, 2013 at 6:01PM
Yes, Lara, orange would be good on the other bed also. And your rug will unite the two colors.
0 Likes   April 27, 2013 at 6:02PM
I would carry the turquoise around to behind the second bed., and maybe stop it on the opposite wall at the same point. Is that possible?
0 Likes   April 27, 2013 at 6:04PM
Lara Piccioni
I think it would create a weird effect. I think it is better to stop the paint in that point because, as you can see from the map I posted before, that corner is not regular. Otherwise we should paint just the wall with the desk.
0 Likes   April 27, 2013 at 6:32PM
I think you're right!
0 Likes   April 27, 2013 at 6:38PM
carolins
Lara, nice drawings!
3 Likes   April 27, 2013 at 11:22PM
Lara Piccioni
Thank you carolins!
0 Likes   April 28, 2013 at 3:40AM
Lara Piccioni
My brother doesn't want two orange beds. What other color would be good in your opinion? He doesn't like cream neither.
0 Likes   April 28, 2013 at 5:51AM
Lime or white or gray. Maybe white with orange and turq pillows.
0 Likes   April 28, 2013 at 6:54AM
Susan Ortiz
I'd stay very neutral and add color in accent pieces
0 Likes   April 28, 2013 at 7:19AM
Lara Piccioni
We have decided that the second bed is going to be turquoise as the wall! Tomorrow we'll go and search them. I'll let you know what we find!
0 Likes   April 29, 2013 at 12:14PM
Lara Piccioni
In the meantime, could you help me with a bookshelf? As you can see from my drawings, in the corner we wanted to create a white bedside table with some shelves. Can you post me some pictures as the one below? I love this room, it's very warm.
0 Likes   April 29, 2013 at 12:54PM
carolins
Lara, if you search Houzz and type in the search box what you're looking for, you'll get lots of photos to give you ideas. You can also search in the bedroom section under 'browse rooms'.
Good luck with your project. It will be lovely. Keep us posted of your progress please.
0 Likes   April 29, 2013 at 1:29PM
Lara Piccioni
Thanks Carolins. I like to use the forum because professionals as you are give me very good advices. I am very glad to see that you are interested in my project. I can't wait to see the final result, but I know it's going to take at least a month! I've been loving architecture since I was a child and now it's the first time I get to do something concrete. I wanted to study it at university at the beginning, but currently I'm studying economics, which I found out that is a signature that I hate...Architecture would have been better, no doubt ;)
3 Likes   April 29, 2013 at 1:49PM
Oh Lara, you're only 21. Plenty of time. If you love architecture, find a way to make it happen. Trust me. There is nothing better than getting up and going to a job you love, nothing worse than going to one you hate!

For bookcases, look at the very affordable Billy system from Ikea: http://www.ikea.com/it/it/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/11683/
3 Likes   April 29, 2013 at 5:38PM
Ironwood Builders
Lara...I second groveraxle! I have never taken a job for the money...only for the love of what I do...the money comes with the passion for doing things right!
4 Likes   April 29, 2013 at 9:14PM
Hi Lara, IKEA do some great shelves in white - I am sure you can look them up online for some ideas to go with your room. They are also doing some great turquoise cushions which would work with your colour scheme.
2 Likes   April 29, 2013 at 10:10PM
aimran
groveraxle & ironwood are SO right about the money & passion part. money comes to you, if it is meant to, as long as you work (ofcourse :p). but to earn it doing something you love, is a blessing indeed (plus no mind conflicts & requires less effort on a daily basis to get work tasks done)! i opted for my profession for practical reasons, even after years of experience in it, will leave it for what i love..
0 Likes   April 29, 2013 at 11:29PM
aimran
btw, re your coloured hand drawings/plans: are both sofas, sofabeds? if yes, then how will you use both for sleeping at the same time as their legspaces overlap..?
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 12:31AM
aimran
i do like the idea by Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design of having two walls two diff solid colours and placing one bed against one.. and then swapping colours for bed.. i-e orange bed against lilac or turquoise wall.. and vice versa.. everything else in between white..
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 12:35AM
Lara Piccioni
I agree with you all! Having to study something that I hate I realized how important it is to do something that you love. I chose to study economics because I was accepted in a very important university so I thought that it would have been a good start to find a good job in the future, but right now the only thing that I want to do is to graduate as soon as possible and never hear a word of economics in the rest of my life :)

Anyway, speaking about my room...I bought the beds! The pictures below are of the ones which where exposed in the store, our beds will be a little bit different. The first one is mine and will be turquoise (like the color of the second picture), it's a normal bed which just looks like a sofa. The second one is my brother's and will be bright orange, almost red, it's a sofa bed which opens and it's a little bit narrower than a french bed. My brother wanted at all cost to have a big bed and a sofa bed was the best solution not to occupy too much space. When it opens there will be more or less 70cm between the two beds, so it won't be a problem. I hope you like them!
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 1:26PM
You'll have a lovely bedroom that will look like a nice living room during the day! Good choices!
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 3:15PM
Lara Piccioni
Thank you, that's exactly the effect that I want! We have never used our room during the day because having a bunk bed we had no space to sit...Can't wait to receive them!
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 4:39PM
To make it look even more like a living room, you need to place a small table in front of each bed so that it looks like a small coffee table. Since most of the furniture in the room is rectangular, it would be good to introduce a round shape with this small coffee table. It could be a metal table or ceramic or wood.
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 5:33PM
aimran
Love the colour combo of the bed that you have ordered. Decor-Accessorizing will be fun.
0 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 10:13PM
Lara Piccioni
It's a very good idea but my brother's bed opens, so we should move it every night...it would be uncomfortable
1 Like   May 1, 2013 at 5:07AM
Use a small lightweight table and it will take him 3 seconds to move it.
0 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 5:10AM
Here are two Ikea tables that could work nicely. The first one is shown with wheels, making moving it extremely easy. The second one is available with wheels though the photo shows it without. First one costs $99 US and the second one $9.99 US.
STRIND Coffee table
LACK Side table
1 Like   May 1, 2013 at 7:05AM
Lara Piccioni
I don't know Carolyn, maybe I prefer having a empty space. I'll decide when the beds arrive. Thanks for your help, you are always very kind.
0 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 12:47PM
Empty space is a wonderful thing to have!
0 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 3:27PM
Lara Piccioni
Yes, especially if you are very messy ;)
0 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 4:39PM
aimran
Do check out 'what a gem' sale on joss & main app.. Made me think of your room.. Bright, solid coloured accessories there..
0 Likes   May 2, 2013 at 8:05AM
Lara Piccioni
@anumaura I love the cushions and frames! unfortunately living in Europe is a problem for me buying on american sites...and it's a pity, you sell the best things
0 Likes   May 2, 2013 at 11:06AM
aimran
Don't worry, you'll find stuff like that where you live. I think these can be used as examples of what you can add in your room.. Am not from n. americas but asia..
0 Likes   May 2, 2013 at 11:20AM
Fat and Appy: Modern Art Canvases for Children
What a fun room to restyle. @Lara, can't wait to see your "after" pics!
2 Likes   May 2, 2013 at 11:32AM
Lara Piccioni
Thank you, I can't wait to see the result too! We'll have to wait a month :)
0 Likes   May 3, 2013 at 5:27AM
Need help with colors for the front of my house. Help!! Help!!
My house is on a busy street lined with older homes....
Need color help, paneling color needs to be updated and brightened
We bought this 1978 house 5 years ago, mostly un-remodeled....
Help!! Need help w/ exterior paint & trim colors...strange brick color
We are replacing our press board siding with cement...
Need Help with Paint Color- Should I add accent colors as well?? HELP...
I am having dining room and kitchen painted (floor...
Need help for my kitchen
I have hard wood floors in my kitchen that I want to...
Blackish blue paint color?
Need blackish blue paint color and brand. Please help!!!...
Which color do I choose, left or right side gray? Help please
Please help me choose which color on main wall. Both...
Help with bathroom lighting
We have a home built in the late '70's and the top...