Need help with my disastrous pantry
baclisa
April 26, 2013 in Other
My walk-in pantry is a hot mess. I've tried using bins to try & keep the mess to a minimum but as you can see, this is real life. You can see my sad attempt with the bins I have in the photo. I have 3 boys so they're constantly in the pantry. They're in it so often that rarely is the door closed...which is a constant eye sore for me. To makes matters worse, the hubby adds to the chaos by just putting things where he sees a vacant spot in the pantry. Can anyone give BASIC SOUND organizing tips to keep my pantry looking not to crazy??
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleee
Becky wrote an excellent ideabook on organizing the pantry, maybe you could find some help and inspiration here:
April 27, 2013 at 2:12AM   
baclisa
Great thanks. I'll give it a try.
April 27, 2013 at 6:52AM     
charleee
Good luck!
April 27, 2013 at 6:57AM     
baclisa
I did get a few good tips for organizing the pantry. Not sure if I'll be able to tackle it this weekend but I am motivated to start soon. It is definitely a project that'll take me a few days.
April 27, 2013 at 7:11AM     
charleee
And unfortunately, it's one of those things that needs constant updating, as some supplies go out and new ones come in. I would assign one shelf to each family member, and make it their responsibility to keep it neat, clean and always organized. Maybe they'll be more aware of what they're doing to create the chaos!!!
April 27, 2013 at 7:22AM     
baclisa
I love the idea of having the boys be responsible for 'their' shelf. It probably will be the snack shelf...haha. That'll definitely be something I incorporate into my organization. Thanks so much. You've been a huge help and inspiration.
April 27, 2013 at 8:37AM     
PRO
Linda
I would suggest adding a short shelf around eye level - perhaps only 4 or 5 inches tall, maybe only about that same depth as well. That way you can stash anything that fits without losing much space at all on the shelf underneath it. I use a little shelf for boxes of pudding and gelatin, small cans, spices etc.

I also recommend using a wire shelving organizer mounted on the inside of the pantry door. The one on my pantry door is only about 4 inches deep with several shelves. I actually have two unit because I bought a half height version and found it so handy that I ended up buying another one for the bottom half of the door. So, just go ahead and buy the full size version from the beginning!

I notice that you have very few items which actually use the full height of your shelves, mainly a few bottles at the bottom and top of your pantry. If you reorganize the shelves, you could add in another shelf and end up with three or four spaces which would be just a small amount taller than most items and a couple spaces tall enough for anything. I realize it is a lot more work since you will have to add in some more cleats but the net result will be a much more usable space.
April 27, 2013 at 11:01AM     
baclisa
Linda - not sure if you were able to see it in the photo but the top shelf actually slopes so it looks deceptive. It looks like I'm not using the entire shelf space but I've got odds & ends stored in the back. And yes I agree I could probably add more shelving to the space but I didn't want to spend any extra cash. I do think I need to add a rack to the door like you suggested. Thanks for the great tips.
April 27, 2013 at 8:42PM