Help- overwhelmed by magnitude of yard design
makiki
I'm overwhelmed by coming up with a design of the 4 acres of mud and dirt that surround our house right now (Vermont). I'd like to start with the backyard, about 1-2 acres. and would like it to be as low maintenance as possible but not just lawn. We have a beautiful view, a drain field which runs along the length of our deck and an enormous solar panel which I would like to look more attractive than it is now. Thank you so much for any ideas you can send my way!
misecretary
You are correct, this is overwhelming. I can't wait to see the suggestions. My place is very similar and I've lived here 32 years..
0 Likes   April 27, 2013 at 4:38AM
katsesler
Wow...the possibilities are endless you have so much room...For everyone to help, I would discuss your budget a little bit. Is hardscaping in the budget (walkways, patios)? Lots of garden designers recommend dividing your space into outdoor "rooms" with connecting walkways. You could have a patio connected to an area with a bench and have it circle back to the house with gardens along the way...You need to think about how you want to use this yard, are you really outdoor people who would enjoy a garden or do you really just want something easy? Do you want a pool, an outdoor shed or garden cottage?
1 Like   April 27, 2013 at 4:43AM
katsesler
I will make this one suggestion...the back area seems to slope downward quite a bit. If you really plan to be outside and use this area (and not just your deck, which maybe you will just use your deck) you might want to put in a retaining wall and flatten the immediate area off your back...then there would be area for an outdoor patio, fireplace or garden.
2 Likes   April 27, 2013 at 4:46AM
buttrfluttr
I'd be certain to incorporate as many trees and shrubs as possible for depth of view, local wildlife and privacy.
1 Like   April 27, 2013 at 4:54AM
makiki
Our budget is pretty small but we'd definitely be able to buy pavers and possibly large pieces of slate. We're able to do a lot of the work ourselves since we have access to different types of equipment.. We also have huge landscaping rocks (marble) on our property. Yes, we're going to put in a patio off the walk-out basement. I like your idea of the "rooms". We don't want a pool but a small pond would be nice. Maybe somewhere near the Solar Panel? What would you suggest over the drainfield?
0 Likes   April 27, 2013 at 4:56AM
makiki
The drainfield is pretty much where the stake is, all the way over to near the trees.
1 Like   April 27, 2013 at 4:57AM
carolins
Perhaps you need to hire a garden designer who can sketch out a plan for you. Here in the Netherlands landscaping firms often have a designer 'in the house' who will work with you and if you let them do the landscaping you get the design for free.

Beautiful spot, gorgeous view!

Meanwhile, here are some ideas for you: https://www.google.nl/search?q=sloping+garden+photos&rlz=1C1CHFX_nlNL515NL517&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=w7x7UbDlCYe20QXwk4CoAQ&ved=0CDMQsAQ&biw=1536&bih=776
1 Like   April 27, 2013 at 4:58AM
makiki
Carolins, my goodness, I love your link!!! Thank you so much!
1 Like   April 27, 2013 at 5:06AM
Judy M
I would pay a landscape architect to draw up plans and make a list of how to implement the plan in stages.
Then at each stage, you can do as much of the work as you are able to and hire out the rest.
It can't hurt to get a few estimates for how much a plan outline would be.
It will save you from repeating work or making costly mistakes.
4 Likes   April 27, 2013 at 5:19AM
carolins
You're welcome :-) Good luck with the project. Enjoy your beautiful home and surroundings.
1 Like   April 27, 2013 at 5:23AM
Help! Need help designing a small back yard...
I have a long backyard that is not as deep. I would...
Nakiya Savage
Need help with front yard landscape design
Beautiful brick front with large windows but no curb...
richgirl74
Small Front Yard Patio Design - Help!
Hello from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada! We have a...
Lori Lewis
Need design help for front of house and yard.
Help! We have a bay window that we are going to replace...
cpowell8
need help with rear yard landscape design
have small fenced rectangular back yard(approx 102'X...
dougiepooh
Dining room design - continued
Hey everyone! Happy holidays! You guys have been great...
immunigirl
Dining room design - continued
immunigirl
paint rooms to put home on market or leave alone?
I will be putting a home I have owned slightly over...
dfmcminn
kitchen backsplash help
We have white marble countertops with gray streaks....
Karin Kunstadt-Canipe
Corner tub not more than 54x54 , with air massage and whirpool
In our master bath, we cannot go more than 54x54, for...
nmittal05