First home
Kimberly Stoginski
April 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just recently purchased our first home. I'm very new at the whole redecorating thing, and I was wondering if I could get some suggestions/advice?? I'm looking for ideas that don't involve knocking walls down, by the way. Renovations will happen down the road! The house needs some loving, and I am eager to get to work! Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
patriciarhall
Kimberly, is the furniture and decor pieces in the photos yours? Do you have in mind a particular style you would like to achieve. Any favorite colors you would like to incorporate? Congratulations on your lovely new home!
April 27, 2013 at 6:51AM     
PRO
JWinteriors
Good morning, Kimberly. I noticed the Shorewest logo on these pictures. Does this mean this is not your furniture? Are you contemporary or traditional? I've got a lot of suggestions, but need to know your style for the direction I take. Also, kitchen budget...is it a repair whats there, or replace with an affordable new?
April 27, 2013 at 6:51AM     
Kimberly Stoginski
The furniture is not ours. We haven't even moved in yet. :-) We don't have much, so I guess we could choose our furniture based on the color scheme we pick. I love earth tones and white trim. Is it possible to paint the woodwork white? Or should I leave it?

My husband and I both like a modern style.
April 27, 2013 at 6:59AM   
Kimberly Stoginski
The kitchen as of right now will be a repair what's there. We are interested in renovating the kitchen in a couple of years. The budget is just not there yet!
April 27, 2013 at 7:00AM   
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Congrats on your new home!
Consider proceeding with only the decor elements you can't stand living with and live in the house for a few seasons so you have a better idea of how light plays on the house and what elements you can live with and what you can not. Develop a comprehensive plan for what you would like to do to the house over all (working with a professional will make this a whole lot easier). Then chunk off projects as your tolerance for household disruption and your financial resources allow. This approach will save you money, time and relationships.
April 27, 2013 at 7:02AM     
Brenda
I think the home looks like it has been really well loved and cared for. Congratulations.

As long as the window trims are wood, there should be no reason you can't paint them white.

Before you go shopping for furniture, layout your rooms on graph paper and know the sizes of the pieces you are looking for. Scale is really critical in making a room functional as well as beautiful.
April 27, 2013 at 7:06AM