Please HELP me pick exterior colors for my new house!
mje6896

Been searching Houzz for ideas. The roof shingles have a light blueish/green color in them and I was thinking of keying of that color to lighten up the house. I'm open to all ideas, but I tend to like tinted / off whites or whites or beige colors. I like a light garage door, ideally white and white trim, but again, I'm open to what will look good. Looking for something unique but it does not have to be dramatic. The front of the house bumps out (it has two windows) and I was thinking of painting that a lighter color than the base of the house, and painting the garage door the same lighter color. I'll post pictures of my new house.

Thanks in advance.
mje6896
roof shingles colors...
April 27, 2013 at 9:21AM   
This is one of my favorite homes here on houzz. It reminds me of yours.

April 27, 2013 at 9:30AM     
mje6896
Thank you, judyg.
April 27, 2013 at 10:01AM     
Aja Mazin
Silver gray and gray, with white trim.

However, the front door would be lovely in a blue gray.

Your lovely home would be stunning and appear even larger.
April 27, 2013 at 10:16AM     
mje6896
I was thinking silver gray or blueish gray tones. Just trying to find the right colors. I noticed BM silver marlin. Thank you, Aja.
April 27, 2013 at 10:33AM     
Aja Mazin
On my monitor, I am seeing a green on the left!
April 27, 2013 at 11:23AM   
mje6896
Yes...it's hard to tell the colors from a computer. Thinking of getting a color consultant. I'll be going to a local BM paint store today in Walnut Creek, CA that has color consultants in the store 4 days a week. I'm lost.. Thanks.
April 27, 2013 at 11:31AM     
mje6896
Still seeking help. Open to all suggestions. Thank you.
April 28, 2013 at 11:21AM   
lindajeanne
Can't tell exact color of roof, but going monochromatic is always safe. I suggest going to several name brand paint stores and picking up their designer exterior paint combinations. You can't go too far wrong with them. I suggest lighter color on the eaves and window trim. Maybe siding color on the garage door instead of light so it recedes more. Maybe the third color in the palette on the door and some plants to draw your eye to the entry.
April 28, 2013 at 11:40AM   
Rockin' Fine Finish
How about ice cube silver for siding and exhale in the gable ends white dove for trim and charcoal gray for door or galaxy for door garage doors can be siding color or white dove trim
April 28, 2013 at 11:42AM   
I'd love to hear what the BM people had to say.
April 28, 2013 at 11:44AM   
mje6896
Thank you, lindajeanne, RFF, and Cayolyn....
April 28, 2013 at 11:46AM     
mje6896
@ Carolyn and All -- BM suggested, Boothbay gray base and simply white trim. Also, Gray haze or sea haze with simply white trim. The third accent color TBD after base is picked out. We purchased samples of sea haze and boothbay gray with the simply white and will try them out. I am seeking something "different" but the house is plain, so not sure of my options. I saw some gray houses with lime green doors that looked great, but not sure if that scheme goes with my house.
April 28, 2013 at 11:50AM     
Rockin' Fine Finish
look at vienna green for the door
April 28, 2013 at 11:51AM     
mje6896
@RRF, vienna green may work. I plan on getting more samples, will try this out. I like the idea of a blackish door, but the front door area is very dark and set back. Thanks.
April 28, 2013 at 12:00PM     
Rockin' Fine Finish
if you use a light siding color the door will pop and the entry wont look as dark
April 28, 2013 at 12:02PM     
The Color People
If you are really thinking of using a color consultant. Check us out. The problem with paint stores is that the people in them rarely have ever really done a house, the paint store brochures have rarely be really tried out.
So you get pedestrian solutions for your home. The key to making a simple home like yours special is to use
nuanced colors that change with the light and give you dimension and interest. Boothbay gray and white- a safe solution that will make you look like anybody else.
April 28, 2013 at 12:08PM   
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
A cool beige or a warm gray (such as SW 7037/7506 or SW 7043) would be a nice base color. Use an off white trim, so that your vinyl windows aren't "outlined" as they currently are. You could then accent with a blue-gray or blue-green door. Alternatively, you could use a grayish blue-green for the body color, with the same cool white trim. Consider SW 6223 Samovar Silver and 7057 Silver Strand, or related colors off those Sherwin Williams strips. SW 7011 Toque White is a nice outdoor white, not too stark. If you upload your photo to the SW Color Visualizer, you can play around with these tones to get a general idea. But you'll still need to test the actual colors on your house. I can't stress this enough. You CANNOT pick paint colors from online.
April 28, 2013 at 12:10PM   
mje6896
@ RFF -- I was thinking of light siding color too, almost white with a tint of blue / green or gray? Will take a look at ice cube silver or something similar. Thanks all! All ideas and suggetions are welcome, please keep them coming. Will post after pics when done. I do really like the vienna green for the door but not sure if I need to go with more of a gray base for the house then vs blueish / greenish base.
April 28, 2013 at 12:12PM   
mje6896
@PCH, I'll check out the colors. Thanks.
April 28, 2013 at 12:13PM   
Rockin' Fine Finish
no a blueish gray works well with the vienna green
April 28, 2013 at 12:14PM   
mje6896
@ TheColorPeople -- I will check you out. I am serious about hiring someone, if I can't figure it out. I know the house is basic, and I do want the house to look cool and different, if possible. Plus, it's going to cost a lot to get it painted, so depending on the cost, it's worth hiring help, if needed.
April 28, 2013 at 12:16PM   
mje6896
@ RRF, okay, I will pick up the vienna green and try it with blueish gray.
April 28, 2013 at 12:17PM   
Rockin' Fine Finish
That's a blueish gray next to the door
April 28, 2013 at 12:20PM     
mje6896
Thanks, RRF! That does look great.
April 28, 2013 at 12:22PM     
mje6896
Still lost, nothing worked out yet. Plan B is to paint the body either sherwin williams SW 7038 Tony Taupe or SW 6073 Perfect Greige. I house bumps out and has two windows in the front and I would like to paint that a different color, like one would paint shutters but I'm not sure what color. Any suggetions?? Not sure if I should go bold -- redish, navy, dark green, or lighter. I'm not sure even it will look good. The trim will be white of some shade, but not bright white as @TheColorPeople suggested. The painting job starts this Tuesday. Thanks so much for all the suggestions so far! Really.
May 4, 2013 at 3:32PM   

Sherwin Williams Homestead Brown for the door and Pavilion Beige for the garage and body of the house.
May 4, 2013 at 5:16PM     
mje6896
Thank you, judyg. I'll take a look at the color.
May 4, 2013 at 6:08PM     
mje6896
I just paint tested sherwin williams SW 7038 Tony Taupe or SW 6073 Perfect Greige. As I was driving away, I noitced the SW 7669 Summit Gray I tested a few days ago, that I thought I didn't like, but now it looks good -- the roof has some gray / blue in it, and it looked good. For now, it's between Tony Taupe, Perfect Greige and Summit Gray. Just seeking a base for now and then a splash of something different for the door. Thank you.
May 4, 2013 at 6:13PM   
pitbulls
I like a dark taupe for this type of house.I'd paint out the trim and garage a slightly darker shade of taupe.With your roof tiles you can use any color.
May 4, 2013 at 6:16PM   
mje6896
Thank you, pitbulls. Dark taupe as in SW 7038 Tony Taupe or darker for base?
May 4, 2013 at 6:25PM   
pitbulls
I don't really know the names of the paint colors like many on this site. Maybe you can get a few small samples and apply them yourself before the painters come to see if you like it.
May 4, 2013 at 6:33PM   
mje6896
Yes, that is what I'm doing now. Thank you, pitbulls.
May 4, 2013 at 6:45PM   
pitbulls
Glad to help. Send some pics when it's all done.
May 4, 2013 at 6:46PM   
curryj
Love love the colors that judyg submitted.
May 5, 2013 at 3:29PM     
86redvette
Your garage door should be painted the same color as your house and I suggest a nice café au lait with a terracotta trim that has a black base and then lower your front yard shrubs about a foot so you expose your lovely home to passersby, in fact, I'd remove the shrubbery all together and replace with a couple of nice boulders and drought tolerant ground cover. and new address numbers would detail your house also.
June 25, 2014 at 9:15PM   
Please help me choose perfect exterior colors for my new house!
We just bought this house and want to pick the perfect...
Help me pick exterior colors for my house
We are in desperate need for some help picking out...
Please help me pick a exterior color for my log cabin!
I've had it for a year and I still have to figure out...
Need help with picking out an exterior color for my house
I'm looking for beige, tan or mustard color. Benjamin...
Front doors.
What would be a good color for our front french doors?...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Trim trim trim....
I just posted, but les just focus here for a second....
Need help with the shape and placement of my coffee table
Hi All. I am in extreme need of help! :( Hubby and...
Stacked cupboards
Our new home will have 9' ceilings. We are putting...