Tiling exterior deck for down to -60 temps
a_rainbow
I'm having a hard time googling my questions. Maybe not searching right? Ill try here...

For our recessed covered entry, I decided to carry the large 18x18 entry tiles to the outside deck. It will be a neat effect walking in! I also plan to have a rug for wet boots. The tiles have a texture so they aren't too bad. They are rated for below freezing and if I carry my existing grout lines inside out, it's perfect layout! It was meant to be (over original concrete so ill have build up floor a little but no big deal!)

Question is... We have the standard indoor tiling procedure down! Did a bunch and it looks fab in here! But for freezing temps down to -60... Are their special products we need instead? Thinset, hardie backer, mortar, grout...

While we wait for sidibg material we can start prepping for this bc I want do e before we start siding!

Attached is tile
American olean Urban tones 18x18
Rockin' Fine Finish
Why not do a a ungrouted tile they are tiles the have backing on them and are put down like a puzzle and can be removed at any time they have a drainage system below the tile
April 27, 2013 at 3:39pm   
a_rainbow
I'd need one that matched. I was wanting a more indoor to outdoor and vice versa affect... My indoor tiles are done and laid. The exterior is 3" below door/entry tile for concrete. (idea 4 years ago) But porch literally flows into Entry. I thought it would be neat to have grout lines flow outside. If I have no grout lines it will appear to be diff material, which it is, and change look :-)

It's a great idea.
April 27, 2013 at 3:57pm   
Rockin' Fine Finish
You could use the same tile they glue pads to the backs of the tile but I understand in wanting the same look
April 27, 2013 at 4:00pm   
Rockin' Fine Finish
Tec power grout or jet set grout from imco check those out you probably google them I have a friend in the Great Lakes and they use the jetset but there's others you can find
April 27, 2013 at 4:08pm   
a_rainbow

What about thinset etc...

80 in summers -60 in winters. Installing in summer of course :-) as soon as our snow melts!!!

We are STILL full out winter here!! Melted some then snowed a bunch then melted... 27 degrees today and gorgeous but no melting. We better get an extended summer!
April 27, 2013 at 4:11pm     
a_rainbow
Just not sure about tiles cracking?
April 27, 2013 at 4:11pm   
Rockin' Fine Finish
What kind of tile are you using
April 27, 2013 at 4:13pm   
a_rainbow
Porcelain. Urban tones by American Olean.
April 27, 2013 at 4:21pm   
Rockin' Fine Finish
I don't think porcelain will work outside you need a natural stone finish
April 27, 2013 at 4:25pm   
a_rainbow
This is why I like to research :-)

However... I looked at specs and these are rated for below freezing.they can go just about anywhere but pool deck :-)

?
April 27, 2013 at 4:28pm   
Rockin' Fine Finish
I know porcelain can be used outside but -60 is more than just freezing I really don't know how well they would do there's a chance they will crack and these will be exposed no cover or some over
April 27, 2013 at 4:36pm     
a_rainbow
In fine print it talks about my possible situation and to use proper install methods. Those are methods I am seeking. But, perhaps I could call manu also.
April 27, 2013 at 4:37pm   
a_rainbow
Also, FIL mentioned to carry our underfloor heating in craw space below under that area? Hmmm.... Not sure if that's a good idea either. Sublimation? Ok. I better call!!
April 27, 2013 at 4:38pm     
Rockin' Fine Finish
You are totally dealing with a different situation than we do in the here in the lower part of the country
April 27, 2013 at 4:40pm   
a_rainbow
I know it. Pros and cons of living in AK. And anchorage gets totally diff weather then we do here. I better do more research! Thought I'd try here first bc I spend a lot of time on hold or on phone :-) but that's ok. Do what I got to do.

April 27, 2013 at 4:55pm   
Brown and green concept for living room
Hi there, I love the Mocha Olk laminate that I am going...
Best way to house a growing puppy?
I have a German Shepherd puppy (meet Manny!!) who will...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Granite and backsplash
I'm redoing the kitchen in my newly purchased summer...