Tiling exterior deck for down to -60 temps
a_rainbow
April 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm having a hard time googling my questions. Maybe not searching right? Ill try here...

For our recessed covered entry, I decided to carry the large 18x18 entry tiles to the outside deck. It will be a neat effect walking in! I also plan to have a rug for wet boots. The tiles have a texture so they aren't too bad. They are rated for below freezing and if I carry my existing grout lines inside out, it's perfect layout! It was meant to be (over original concrete so ill have build up floor a little but no big deal!)

Question is... We have the standard indoor tiling procedure down! Did a bunch and it looks fab in here! But for freezing temps down to -60... Are their special products we need instead? Thinset, hardie backer, mortar, grout...

While we wait for sidibg material we can start prepping for this bc I want do e before we start siding!

Attached is tile
American olean Urban tones 18x18
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Rockin' Fine Finish
Why not do a a ungrouted tile they are tiles the have backing on them and are put down like a puzzle and can be removed at any time they have a drainage system below the tile
April 27, 2013 at 3:39pm   
a_rainbow
I'd need one that matched. I was wanting a more indoor to outdoor and vice versa affect... My indoor tiles are done and laid. The exterior is 3" below door/entry tile for concrete. (idea 4 years ago) But porch literally flows into Entry. I thought it would be neat to have grout lines flow outside. If I have no grout lines it will appear to be diff material, which it is, and change look :-)

It's a great idea.
April 27, 2013 at 3:57pm   
PRO
Rockin' Fine Finish
You could use the same tile they glue pads to the backs of the tile but I understand in wanting the same look
April 27, 2013 at 4:00pm   
PRO
Rockin' Fine Finish
Tec power grout or jet set grout from imco check those out you probably google them I have a friend in the Great Lakes and they use the jetset but there's others you can find
April 27, 2013 at 4:08pm   
a_rainbow
Thanks!

What about thinset etc...

80 in summers -60 in winters. Installing in summer of course :-) as soon as our snow melts!!!

We are STILL full out winter here!! Melted some then snowed a bunch then melted... 27 degrees today and gorgeous but no melting. We better get an extended summer!
April 27, 2013 at 4:11pm     
a_rainbow
Just not sure about tiles cracking?
April 27, 2013 at 4:11pm   
PRO
Rockin' Fine Finish
What kind of tile are you using
April 27, 2013 at 4:13pm   
a_rainbow
Porcelain. Urban tones by American Olean.
April 27, 2013 at 4:21pm   
PRO
Rockin' Fine Finish
I don't think porcelain will work outside you need a natural stone finish
April 27, 2013 at 4:25pm   
a_rainbow
This is why I like to research :-)

However... I looked at specs and these are rated for below freezing.they can go just about anywhere but pool deck :-)

?
April 27, 2013 at 4:28pm   
PRO
Rockin' Fine Finish
I know porcelain can be used outside but -60 is more than just freezing I really don't know how well they would do there's a chance they will crack and these will be exposed no cover or some over
April 27, 2013 at 4:36pm     
a_rainbow
In fine print it talks about my possible situation and to use proper install methods. Those are methods I am seeking. But, perhaps I could call manu also.
April 27, 2013 at 4:37pm   
a_rainbow
Also, FIL mentioned to carry our underfloor heating in craw space below under that area? Hmmm.... Not sure if that's a good idea either. Sublimation? Ok. I better call!!
April 27, 2013 at 4:38pm     
PRO
Rockin' Fine Finish
You are totally dealing with a different situation than we do in the here in the lower part of the country
April 27, 2013 at 4:40pm   
a_rainbow
I know it. Pros and cons of living in AK. And anchorage gets totally diff weather then we do here. I better do more research! Thought I'd try here first bc I spend a lot of time on hold or on phone :-) but that's ok. Do what I got to do.

Thanks!
April 27, 2013 at 4:55pm   
More Discussions
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
Brown and green concept for living room
Hi there, I love the Mocha Olk laminate that I am going...
Best way to house a growing puppy?
I have a German Shepherd puppy (meet Manny!!) who will...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Granite and backsplash
I'm redoing the kitchen in my newly purchased summer...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2014 Houzz Inc.
Houzz® The new way to design your home™