Curtains???
dfosrunnallsApril 27, 2013
Please..I'm at a lost for what curtained to get...color, length ...any suggestions are so appreciated!
Interiors International, Inc.
I would keep the blinds and do floor to ceiling drapery panels in a bold pattern. Use the colors in the room as your palette
6 Likes    Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 4:56PM
dfosrunnalls
I would put the rods up near the ceiling? And have the drapes hangs to the floor?
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 5:03PM
dfosrunnalls
Grey, blue, burgundy , navy ????
    Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 5:22PM
When you have furniture up against a window, you cannot have draperies behind it because I would never use a drapery that does not go to the floor. You already have blinds on both windows that I see. You can certainly put draperies on the window on the right which does not have furniture in front of it.

I would remove the valances that you have on both windows and would hang draperies on the window on the right, hanging the rod just below the ceiling the carrying the draperies to the floor. They can be stationary drapery panels to the sides of the window, using the blinds for privacy and sun control. Then on the other window, you could have a roman shade made out of the same fabric as you used on the drapery panels, again hanging it from just below the ceiling, even with the draperies that are on the other window.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 5:42PM
Interiors International, Inc.
Carolyn, I admire you and know you are very talented designer. In this case I don't however agree with you. I have used draperies with furniture in front of them. I don't however push the furniture up against them. I do like your idea for this persons room as an alternative though also.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 6:04PM
@ Interiors Int'l: I, too, have great respect and appreciation of your opinions and I find that in artistic matters such as this it's perfectly fine and expected that not all designers will agree. I've always said if you asked 10 designers the same question, you'd likely get 10 different answers. :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 6:12PM
Premier Decoration
Take away the pole, use the curtain hidden track from the ceiling. Pick the drapery hang to the floor. Your furniture and wall, too neutral, so you can should some favorite color curtain. Should be pattern if you like. The result will be so nice, promise! But if you could not live with too much pattern, pick solid on fabric. Then dip pattern on many cushion covers. Good luck;)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 6:19PM
dfosrunnalls
I wish I didn't have to have furniture in front of the window...but I haven't other choice. I personally do not like the idea of it.. :) but thank you for the opinions. I will try the drapes from the ceiling to floor. Thank you!!
    Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 6:22PM
Keitha
I agree with Interiors about using drapery panels for both sets of windows. You have a lovely room. Here are some ideas!
    Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 6:54PM
Curb Appeal Renovations
Agree...floor to ceiling. And while I'd go bold in color, be careful on the pattern. Definitely not flowers.
    Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 7:09PM
bumblebee728
Carolyn and III, you are two of my favorite designers here on Houzz. I always enjoy and learn from reading the advice you both give!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 7:11PM
dfosrunnalls
Love the ideas and are busy shopping....thank you everyone!!
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 4:24AM
bonnielynn75
Yes, full length panels! (and kill the goose and get the jugs out of the room, looks like you have a still in the back yard!)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 4:48AM
dfosrunnalls
Lol... I will get rid of the goose but not the jugs.. Maybe I do have a still in the back yard. Ty
1 Like    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 6:35AM
leelee
I like the goose and the jugs but I'd suggest to put the large jug on the floor. It's top-heavy on top of the cabinet. I get your style and I think you've done a good job with it. One other change you might consider is to move the bench with the goose under the window and get a more substantial coffee table.

On the curtains I agree with long panels. I don't like the kind with metal grommets for your room...how about self looping?
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 6:50AM
With this Americana room. I would remove the curtains all together. Leave the blinds and add a shelf above each window with scaled down items. The goose needs relocating. Maybe one jug, but the top one is making the room off balance. If you are set on curtains, I would replace with a heartier valance but maybe a 17" length or so.
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 6:54AM
leelee
Looks like the ceilings are only 8' high? Possibly not enough room to add a shelf and decor without making it touch the ceiling.
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 7:00AM
dfosrunnalls
Lee lee ... Love the coffee table idea... Still shopping.. All of the suggestions are greatly appreciated!! Large jug is removed and goose is gone :)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 7:10AM
dfosrunnalls
Leveled, could I ask where you found that coffee table?
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 8:38AM
dfosrunnalls
**sorry iPad spell correct** leelee
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 8:39AM
leelee
The coffee table is Pottery Barn. I think it is perfect with your furniture. Bring back the goose and put it somewhere else in the room.
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 8:59AM
Patricia Bishop Borner
I would do Planation Shutters…will give privacy, and never go out of style.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 9:08AM
dfosrunnalls
I did bring back the goose lol...and will definitely check pottery arm. Thank you!
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 9:58AM
dfosrunnalls
I would love the shutters but would have to move the couch every time I wanted to open the window.
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 10:10AM
bumblebee728
Looks like his beak is facing the wall, can you angle him facing more towards the room and see if you like that better? Or maybe place him on the floor at the corner of the hutch?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 10:10AM
What is that sitting on the top of the sofa to the right? I do like the goose on top the cabinet, but yes he needs a bit more angling.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 10:13AM
leelee
Yea! The goose is back and he's got a new perch. Yes, he wants to look out into the room.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 10:17AM
dfosrunnalls
Does anyone. Know a site that goes with country decorating?
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 3:08PM
dfosrunnalls
Ps...goose is looking forward :)
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 3:09PM
bumblebee728
Yay! Pix coming?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 3:29PM
dfosrunnalls
I am also adding a picture of what my living room looked like 2 weeks ago
1 Like    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 3:33PM
Where is the goose?
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 4:39PM
dfosrunnalls
The goose is still on top of corner cabinet, just angled different.
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 4:56PM
On my computer the cabinet has a wooden basket and a jug??
1 Like    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 4:58PM
chloesmomkathy
Ceiling to floor length. That make your ceilings seem so much taller. A print that uses all your colors would look good.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 5:01PM
dfosrunnalls
I was looking at the toile drapes...black or blue?
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 5:09PM
I feel like I am in the twilght zone!! I have 2 pics on my computer. One before and I assume one after with the red checked drapes, now you are talking toile? what gives?
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 5:12PM
dfosrunnalls
I started by asking about curtains and received some suggestions, but was asked to remove the jugs and the goose lol.. So it got away from the curtains. The pic with the burgundy curtains is what my living room started out as 2 weeks ago. Just trying different suggestions.
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 5:33PM
I love the tall wooden chair!
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 7:08PM
bumblebee728
Dfosrunnalls, hope you don't get annoyed with me, but could you just angle him(or her) a little bit to one side? Not with his tail directly in the corner, but where we can see his body angled. The beak facing a little to the left or the right. Lol, I don't know why I'm so obsessed with this goose!
I think toile curtains might be really nice, and I would say between black and blue, I'd go with the same blue as the walls in a lighter or darker shade.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 8:48PM
Gotta love the goose!! Bring me up to speed, are we changing the white curtains or the checkered curtains? I would go with the toile in a darker blue.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 9:11PM
dfosrunnalls
The goose did make a statement yesterday lol. It is tilted to the side with his tail showing, the pic is a little dark.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:47AM
dfosrunnalls
Margo, the living room is the blue and white now. I know I confused you but was showing someone else what the room looked like before. The red curtains are down and the chair was removed, but thank you for your comments.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:50AM
llswink
When you asked for help with curtains... I was envisioning EXACTLY what you had in your before picture. Maybe you can use a large check in a complimentary color and make long panels to hang from your rods? Where is the other furniture you had in the room? I loved that too! And, for my .02 cents, the goose looked better in profile up on your shelf. He disappears in your latest placement. '-)

Those quilts are wonderful!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:24AM
dfosrunnalls
IIswink, thank you for your comments... I have a lot if quilts I like to display different ones to change the looks. I did remove some things (furniture) because of suggestions when I first put the room on. I love this site but not a lot of country suggestions :( I ordered curtains I will post them as soon as I get them :)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 4:33AM
bumblebee728
If you're still looking for a country decorating site, try www.countryliving.com
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:50AM
bumblebee728
p.s. the dash doesn't belong in that website address.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:52AM
Where to find reasonable extra long curtains and shower curtains
I love the extra long curtains and shower curtains...
Susan N Dave Kozora
where did you get the curtain hardware and who made the curtains? I
please let me know … they are exactly what i need...
Modern Mestiza and Gang of Pillow
Can you give me any information about the curtain rods and curtains?
I love the color of both. Wondering if you painted...
ejharrington
wooden log on fungus/ rotting
hi i'm design up a wooden log wall for my live kitchen...
ashu101
Family Room Ideas!
I need help with the finishing touches on our family...
dsnason
Need advice for choosing a chair for a craft/proejct table
I am making a craft table and it is 36 3/4" high. The...
putzie
Library nook color
I have a closet that is about 4.5x7 and I'm going to...
myearthsuit
Long Entry/Living Room/Dining Help
Hi! We recently purchased our first home and are having...
aimeestauffer