Rug for condo living room
Janet Woods
I am looking for a rug to pull my living room together. The furniture was chosen for our larger home, but I am wanting to work with it for now. The walls are HC 34 Wilmington Tan from Benjamin Moore, the floor is bamboo stained dark, the sofa and two chairs are moss green, and one purple and gold chair. I am trying to blend the traditional furniture with a more modern contemporary look. I like rug #14222674 from overstock.com but am not sure it would go. Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated!
aliesque
I don't think it would work. You can use that painting behind the couch for color ideas. Perhaps a more traditional looking rug.
April 28, 2013 at 9:30am     
Janet Woods
I've tried another angle so the picture isn't so dark. Any suggestions for a rug to pull it all together?
April 28, 2013 at 1:32pm   
Interiors International, Inc.
A nice solid light color with or without a simple border would be best.
April 28, 2013 at 1:37pm     
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Hi, I'd keep it simple and use texture to tie it all up. Cisal rug, and natural simple pillows on the sofa. The colors for the rug and all else would come from the stone.
April 28, 2013 at 1:41pm     
April 28, 2013 at 1:59pm   
Janet Woods
Would one of these be a better choice? I guess I was thinking that because the furniture was plain I needed something more fun in the rug. I suppose I was trying to spice it up a bit! Thank you for your help!
April 28, 2013 at 3:20pm     
carolins
From what I can see on the pictures, the right one seems to be very close to the colour in your curtains. I like that one.
Difficult to judge though from photos on screen.
April 29, 2013 at 12:25am   
Janet Woods
I'm looking at the suggestions again this morning, and seem to be liking the 'Track Shine' because of the softness and the texture. However, I would need an 8x10 and this only comes in a 5x7.
The two sisal rugs above are from Overstock - maybe the color translates better on their site.
I'm tech-challenged with this tablet - and couldn't figure out how to cut and paste the link! Sorry!
Thanks again for the help!
April 29, 2013 at 8:41am   
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
I like a little more texture for your room and prefer the carpet without border.
April 29, 2013 at 8:59am   
carolins
Oops, my bad. Didn't notice that when I posted it. It seemed perfect for your room. Shame it doesn't come in a larger size. I'm not good with numbers and from the Netherlands, so inches and feet are aliens to me. I do know however that often 8x10 is a good size, but missed that here. Sorry.

From the sisals that you posted, the one on the right side seems really nice. And the colours that are really hard to judge for us, are actually the colours on the photos of your room. So you're in the best position to guess if the colour will be good. Overstock often has reviews of their products and they will say if the real colour is as it looked on line.

How about this one from Pottery Barn. It will be more comfortable: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/scroll-tile-rug-mocha/?pkey=crugs-by-color&

I think it could be perfect. And you can order a swatch to see if the colour will work in your room.
April 29, 2013 at 9:19am   
April 29, 2013 at 9:24am   
Janet Woods
Okay, so just got back from a wonderful hike here in beautiful BC feeling inspired! What about this one - is this what you mean by texture??
April 29, 2013 at 3:04pm     
scapp
You can always try an oriental that pulls in your furniture colors. Some of the synthetics are easy care if you don't want wool or silk.
April 29, 2013 at 3:09pm   
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Yes
April 29, 2013 at 3:22pm   
Janet Woods
Would you say this is it or can I do better??
April 29, 2013 at 3:26pm   
joniramsay
You might want to try and find an area rug w/ more green since your furniture presents so much of this color to the space. I'm not sure the amount in the carpet will be enough to connect the two. A neutral colored carpet would work well and because of the cost of area carpets, it might not be something you want to replace often.
April 29, 2013 at 3:59pm   
Janet Woods
The last photo has tans, browns and rust, according to the write up. I thought this would work well with the stone of the fireplace and the floor. Its on sale at 50% off for 8 more hours - Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design - what do you think??
April 29, 2013 at 4:08pm   
Sharyn
This one is from Home Depot and also overstock (cheaper there). Called Amanda ivory.
April 29, 2013 at 4:22pm   
scapp
That's good looking.
April 29, 2013 at 6:39pm   
Brooke Strong
I purchased the one above in the lighter blue accent colors. I LOVED it but had to return it because not dog/kid friendly but it's gorgeous!! Mine was a chenille though & that one looks wool
April 29, 2013 at 11:26pm   
Janet Woods
So, I took the plunge and ordered the sisal rug in my last picture! I'm hoping I've chosen well and will post a picture once I have it in place. Thank you so much for all the advice - you helped me avert a big mistake!! I so appreciate it!
April 30, 2013 at 8:33am     
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Congrats! Note: Use a thin non-skid pad underneath and, if the rug is finished the same on both sides, remember to turn it every 4 months.
April 30, 2013 at 8:37am   
Janet Woods
Thank you - I did order the non-skid pad - didn't know about turning it. I've learned a lot from you - makes sense to base colors on permanent things like the fireplace. It will change how I look at the rest of the things I'd like to do - thanks again! Oh, and pretty cool that a condo in a little town in BC Canada can benefit from a New York City designer!! Awesome!
April 30, 2013 at 8:42am   
Janet Woods
I finally got a rug for my living room - after a few on-line ordering missteps and back-ordered items. We ended up with a sisal blend from Urban Barn. The rug certainly makes the room feel cosy and more finished.
September 1, 2013 at 9:29am     
carolins
Love your choice. What an impact a 'simple' rug can have. Thanks for the update. It's really lovely.
September 1, 2013 at 9:55am      Thanked by Janet Woods
jen046
Very nice! I love a happy ending!
September 1, 2013 at 10:15am      Thanked by Janet Woods
celestial
You have an absolutely comfortable and lovely space here. Enjoy it!
September 1, 2013 at 10:16am      Thanked by Janet Woods
Veronica Lawrence Interior Design
good job, looks very comfy and finished
September 1, 2013 at 10:20am      Thanked by Janet Woods
bathroom help!
Need to update this bathroom asap! looking to change...
What do you guys think about the pattern placement of granite on this
I picked out this granite and it just installed couple...
Have you ever had a laundry disaster?
You open the doors to the laundry machine and out falls...
please help to choose granite countertops for oak cabinets
We are thinking to put on emerald pearl granite vs...
remove wallpaper?
What is the easiest way to remove wallpaper?