Need a kitchen table Have the Chairs
bocadog
I have 4 of these chairs that I need to find a table for our kitchen the furniture in adjoining room is very traditional antiques. I am not opposed to painting the 4 chairs. obviously would change the fabric to match my other furniture. Current kitchen table is oval and is approx 66l and 41w. A round table will not work in the space we have. Would like to be able to seat 6 when needed. Cabinets in kitchen are plain white and countertop is grey. Love to hear other people's ideas.
TanCalGal
steel table koninginneweg

steel table + paint chairs black with black leather or black vinyl seats. San Francisco Apartment
0 Likes   April 28, 2013 at 8:34PM
thedarlingsbecca
If you want to find an older table, do a web search for Craig's List for your location. The items change all the time, so keep checking under furniture.
0 Likes   April 28, 2013 at 8:39PM
thedarlingsbecca
Question - is it possible that at one time there was fabric in the oval back opening? Are they comfortable when you lean back against the wood as they are now?
1 Like   April 28, 2013 at 8:41PM
llswink
@Thedarlingsbecca, These are called side chairs and traditionally they did just that. Sit along the sides of the room for extra seating when needed. The backs are always open and, usually, are surprisingly comfortable!
2 Likes   April 28, 2013 at 9:13PM
llswink
Bocadog, do the seat cushions lift out? Are there little pegs to hold them into place? If so, these are very old chairs and I wouldn't ruin them by painting them. If the seat cushions are pegged then I would have them appraised, not painted. Often when you find chairs like these the seats have many layers of old fabric underneath, perhaps even the original fabric! I always find it fun to see how the item was originally covered. Who knows, you may even like the style and wish to replicate it when you cover it with your new fabric.
0 Likes   April 28, 2013 at 9:19PM
Cozy Casita
Very, very pretty chairs ! Not to be painted .. please ! You'd be better off selling, if you don't like them .. because a lot of people would love to get their hands on them .. especially if they're original !
4 Likes   April 28, 2013 at 10:18PM
How about a "rustic gray" oval table, then, just find a fabric you love with the gray, white, and will also complement your other furniture. Not seeing the other furnishings, with that caveat, I think the chairs would look beautiful painted white like your cabinets. (If you don't mind painting the chairs).

0 Likes   April 28, 2013 at 10:42PM
bocadog
The chairs have been in the family for a very long time. I think we had them at the kitchen table when I was a little. Two of the chairs must have had a problem at one point because the seats have braces on them on the bottom of the cushion I suppose for reinforcement. I like the chairs but right now they are scattered around the house and it drives me nuts. Even if they were worth money I wouldn't sell them anyway. I don't like the idea of painting them but I would rather paint them and use them than have them serving no purpose. There is a 1 peg on the seat cushion and I was planning on changing the fabric anyway.
0 Likes   April 29, 2013 at 3:40AM
bocadog
When I mentioned my furniture in the adjoining room was traditional. I really did mean traditional. And yes this room is a work in progress so it's not finished. Don't ask if the TV can go! LOL
0 Likes   April 29, 2013 at 3:52AM
A Crew of Two
Choose a great fabric to update the chair and then decide on the table. I like the idea of a gray table mentioned above. Arabesque by Peter Dunham Textiles Singapore Sienna Fabric Weathered Gray Romeo Dining Table
1 Like   April 29, 2013 at 4:55AM
bocadog
I kinda like the idea of a glass table since we have one now. It's nice with kids because they can color on it, paint on it, spill on it and it always cleans up. I could use my 4 chairs and get two odd ball chairs for the ends.

0 Likes   April 29, 2013 at 6:38AM
bocadog
Nobody has any ideas?
0 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 5:03PM
Cozy Casita
Try looking through pics here on Houzz, by using the search feature. It's kind of difficult (and maybe futile) for people to present multiple 'table ideas' when nobody is sure what's happening with the chairs .. nor even what your kitchen looks like ! :-)
0 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 5:37PM
bocadog
I did mention that the kitchen cabinets were plain white and the countertop was grey. The cabinet doors are flat front. I have looked at pictures but thought I would get some other opinions.
0 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 5:45PM
Cozy Casita
@judyg ... bocadog has already said that a round table won't work in the space available.
0 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 5:57PM
DOESN'T LOOK ROUND TO ME, COZY.

Please address your comments to the poster. I find your remark annoying. You are not a houzz moderator, just a commentator like the rest of us.
0 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 6:02PM
bocadog
Love the fabric!
1 Like   May 1, 2013 at 6:50PM
bocadog
I think it interesting everyone like wood with the chairs. @studio10001 that's a pretty table
2 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 7:02PM
studio10001
The oval shape cuts down on most usable glass options, but you could also try two pedestal bases and having glass cut, if you wanted to go that way.
0 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 7:23PM
bocadog
We have a oval shaped table now. It's fine when we have 4 people but it is weird when you have people sitting on the ends.
0 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 7:25PM
bocadog
I really like this table for some reason. I thought I could use the 4 traditional chairs and then look for two different chairs to use when we need extra seats.
0 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 7:27PM
studio10001
What if you used your current base and bought a new glass top?
0 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 7:30PM
bocadog
I am going to sell the current table and chairs. I have been offered quite a bit of money for the set.
1 Like   May 1, 2013 at 7:34PM
bocadog
Like the chairs they have a similar shape to mine
1 Like   May 1, 2013 at 7:44PM
Covering an outdoor terrace
We have a long terrace that is so sunny that we all...
Fireplace
For some reason this brick fireplace was painted white....
Will this cabinet work in a kitchen
I am remodeling my kitchen, which has a great deal...
Need advice for door color
I am wanting to add some color to the front of my house....
New Design
I have a solid natural oak coloured kitchen which I...