Can't find the right drapery fabrics, help!
samsamyd
April 28, 2013
I have a living room that is 15 ft wide, 17 ft long. It has a 10 ft long x 5 ft high window on the 17 ft long wall which has an 8 ft ceiling. I want floor to ceiling drapes and have already purchased the curtain track to hold them. However, my first choice in drapery fabric (an embroidered creamy faux silk with a vine-like pattern in cinnamon and shimmery olive green) is discontinued. So now, I have upholstry to match a non-existent drape! I'm looking for something either tone-on-tone texture or with a LARGE repeat -- I can't take 17 x 8 ft of floral on a 15 inch repeat (see 'test corner photo below).

The wall color. lighting and carpet are going to change; the design concept was neutral furniture with showcased art all around the room and accent pillows. The couch (which is "oatmeal") and recliner are on the wall opposite the drapes.

I'm can make the drapes if I can find a fabric; or buy 95 inch panels. I just want a subtle bit of interest on that wall -- not the blah that the old drapes were.
apple_pie_order
Try going to Calico Corners with your pillows and cushions. There are many online sources, but sometimes picking out a fabric in person is the best way, especially when you are matching color schemes.
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 8:24AM
joannpb
Is this similar to what you had chosen?
http://www.buyfabrics.com/images/Product/medium/11411.jpg
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 11:31AM
samsamyd
Dear joannpb -- no, that's not the fabric I had chosen, but I was browsing last night and that caugth my eye, so it might be worth ordering a yard for try out. I did notice that the horizontal repeat on that is 23 inches

As to Apple_pie_order's suggetion: Thank you, but I have been to Calico Corners and every other fabric store I could find locally; I have about 6 internet-picks that didn't work out either. Maybe the spring fashion season will usher in some new stuff and make a 2nd trip worthwhile.

Otherwise, I think I might just go with a 'blah' background fabric and use dual-sided fusible iron on an embroidered motif from something that's too intense...that way I can control the spacing to something I could live with.
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 3:13PM
JMittman Designs
Some inspiration.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:54AM
Joan McLemore
Denver Fabrics has some great prices. I've ordered from them and had terrific service and I love the fabrics that I've ordered. High quality and excellent costs.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:59AM
samsamyd
This is more what I had in mind; best I've run across so far. I can't deal with too much pattern on a wall that will be 8 ft tall and 17 ft wide all in drapery fabric; tone-on-tone seems to have movement and life, but doesn't scream at me
    Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 7:03PM
samsamyd
Dear Judyg and JMittman Designs; thanks for the suggestions, but not with the Navajo sand painting that I do intend to keep over the table -- wrong colors to too much pattenr.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 7:06PM
kerry_walkernz
I think either of these would look amazing in that room: http://www.etsy.com/listing/96994560/cotton-fabric-drapery-fabric-heavy?ref=shop_home_feat http://www.etsy.com/listing/106020561/philodendron-vintage-pattern-fabric?ref=shop_home_active
If you were looking for something more subtle, how about something like a plain beige dupioni silk. Just make sure they go to the floor!
    Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 9:41PM
Nancy Walton
I found some on Joann Fabrics that might go well
    Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 11:00PM
Nancy Walton
Some more...
    Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 11:03PM
Nancy Walton
They were all under home decor fabrics/beige on the Joann site
    Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 11:04PM
samsamyd
Thanks for the suggestions. I had some friends over to peruse, and it was unanimouse -- the fabric is tone-on-tone, and has some texture, a bit calmer in person than in these photos; a 34 inch repeat, too. Now to figure yardage, order, and start sewing!
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 10:50AM
Nancy Walton
Very Good, post an after photo, please?
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 3:21PM
help! can't find the right bar stool color!
I recently bought a house this weekend, new construction....
Rishi Bhatia
I need help finding the right fabric...
I purchased this chair and love the fabric. I think...
Sarah Queen
Can't find fabric I like........
Where do I go for good fabric? I am not liking anything...
susiecake2880
I can't seem to find the right light or shade for my table lamps.
The table lamps in my bedroom appear to be yellow when...
Barb
Does this work all together? Dining room.
Dining room that I am having a hard time getting right....
nessievjk
I would like to redecorate my bathroom.
It's nothing fancy but I have empty walls Lots of...
marthawidgen
Hydronic radiant floors AND a furnace?
We are building a new house in Chicago and have a few...
kkokott
Need to update entry way space..,ideas?
My entry way needs an update. It's a small area, but...
retrogirl73
Bedroom
How to make the room look bigger
cathymoose