Area behind couch and chair ideas
brown5063
Someone suggested more pics. So I'll post the whole living room. The couch won't fit on the wall w/ the rocker it's much longer than the wall. I'll see if I can give u a better idea how the whole living room looks. This corner is also the only plac the Xmas tree will fit. Our tv is permanently mounted... And the fireplace isn't going any where
Still haven't seen the TV. Is it opposite the FP.? All we've seen so far are the FP wall and the French door wall repeated twice. You need to shoot fro the doors and fron the FP.
April 28, 2013 at 10:45am   
brown5063
I posted new pics. Did this help? I need ideas for behind the couch and chair- corner space
April 28, 2013 at 2:42pm   
leelee
You've got all good stuff. Love the wall color and the leaf print on your chairs, rug is beautiful. Here are a few things that I notice that you might want to consider. First, I see your family pictures in a group above the sofa. I always advise people to use a hallway to make a gallery of family pictures so that guests can easily view them when they walk down the hall. Then you can continue to add pictures as your family grows or you have new in-laws. Above the couch you should have a decorative print that would use great colors like you have in your room. Next, I would like to see the bookcase by the door centered on the larger wall next to it. Again, you'd want to add the family pictures to your hall gallery so they could all be viewed together. So now you have room to use over the sofa btw, you should get a picture that's 2/3 the length of your sofa. If sofa is 70" long then a painting including frame should be about 48" long. It should be hung so the bottom of the frame is 5" above the back of the sofa. This might seem odd at first but it is the right height. One other idea is to think about replacing your trunk coffee table with something less heavy or bulky. I think it's too large for the space.

I wouldn't angle the end table between the sofa and leaf chair. Let it be the end table for the sofa. The chair could use a very small narrow or round table on the side near the rocker. Move the plant under the picture near the glass doors.

I think these small changes will make a big difference. Look at the coffee table and examples of paintings below. Do you like any?

Is your fireplace in the middle of the wall? If so you should center your rug with the fireplace. It's hard to tell because we can't see what's in back of your leather chair or the TV wall.
April 28, 2013 at 3:24pm   
gagatorgal
Based on the pictures and what we can see, I would center the rug on the fireplace, as well. I would also float the couch where the brown chair is or across from it. I would add a sofa table behind the sofa. I would use the resulting space in front of the doors for a "reading nook" or a game table and incorporate the leaf chair. I would add tall bookcases or glass etegeres on the wall where the couch is now. Move the small bookcase to the wall with the pictures. I love the trunk table but agree that it is a little large for the sofa but may work okay if the room is reworked. I would remove the rocking chair from the room. If the fireplace is centered on the room, I would use bookcases on both sides of the fireplace. Is the tv mounted to the wall above a wood piece of furniture. It isn't clear from the photos.
April 28, 2013 at 3:45pm     
brown5063
Thanks everyone. The tv is mounted limiting viewing if the couch is moved to the short wall. The fireplace is not centered . It's off centered to one side of the room . I moved the bookcase to the sofa side and plan on getting a thin 4 foot table to go under the wedding pics and add a couple of lamps. There no lighting there . I moved the big picture near t he front door and plan on getting some sort of table to go under it. Not sure if all this makes sense. I don't have a hallway in my house except the stairwell that leads to upstairs bedrooms. I could take more pics if that would help to show the changes I made. I do néed some help what to do next to the tv. The puppy bed is on one side now and a subwoofer on the other. Thanks for all ur suggestions.
April 28, 2013 at 5:42pm   
leelee
Yes, more pics would definitely help. Thanks!
April 29, 2013 at 7:56am   
brown5063
Ideas to replace lamp, pc to go under pic by front door, what to do next to tv-on either side
April 29, 2013 at 7:23pm   
leelee
I don't think the bookcase is in the right spot now. Why don't you try it on the wall with the 2 wedding pictures? It looks cramped and it is quite a nice piece...show it off.
April 30, 2013 at 5:19am   
Haven't read all the the comments but now that you've posted additional pics, I'd suggest you pull your rug further from the French doors and hang the wedding pics to the right and left of the French doors with their centers 60" above the floor. Angle the leaf chair to the right of the FP. Can't tell if there is a loveseat, but if so put it at the French door end of the rug perpendicular to the tv and fp walls. Put the larger sofa at the opposite end of the rug with the large coffee table trunk. Have a custom piece of beveled glass cut for the trunk. Remove the bench and hang the tree picture centered on the wall where the wedding photos are now. Center the bookcase on the wall to the right of the FP so it is behind the chair and smaller sofa. Put the 5-piece arrangement that is above the sofa, where the tree piece and bench were at the door. Try a floor lamp instead of the blonde table and lamp between the sofa and chair. Photo again - can't see the wall left of the FP.
April 30, 2013 at 4:10pm   
brown5063
More pics of the left side of the Fp. I don't have a love seat. The couches are just about the same size. May be difficult to angle one in front of French doors. Are u saying to keep the couch in front of the double hung window?
April 30, 2013 at 6:32pm   
Good, no loveseat is better - they can be a pain to work with. I like the sofa in front of the double hung window, but think the rug needs to come that direction so that more of it is under that sofa. Now that I see the entire layout, I still would like to see the tree picture on the larger wall where the wedding pics were. I also suggest you move the kitty cornered curio cabinet from the right of the windows to replace the demi-lune white table and the picture which will go to the larger wall. You appear to have two small tables to the left of the door - one under the clock. Can you pull them out for photos? They may work better in this space than the blond table does. At the French door end try the chair angled up close to the right side of the FP and the other sofa perpendicular and slightly behind the chair - it may align with the centered tree picture on the larger wall. Try it and see. Both sofas should have front legs on the rug, and perhaps sit with it half under them - that's a matter of tweaking. Do you want to try any of that and post new pics, or is it too late for enlisting the "Moving Men." If you don't have a set of them, you can cut the bottoms off of plastic milk or juice jugs and use them as sliders for furniture.
April 30, 2013 at 6:51pm   
brown5063
We're not crazy about the bookcase there. What do u think of moving it to the bigger wall next to wedding photo. Moving the 5 PC pics to wall where book case is now. My husband really likes the tree pic by the door. Do u think its to big?
May 2, 2013 at 2:13pm   
brown5063
What should I use on each side of the tv?
May 2, 2013 at 2:51pm   
My focus is the overall visual as you enter the room. I do think the tree pic is too large for that wall and since it is dark and the table beneath it is light, there is a visual weight issue going on - a top heavy feeling. I would rather see the grouping of 5 family photos on that wall and nothing else or try the curio there. I don't think I'd have a problem with the 5 photos above the FP either if you want to consider that. Then you could use the one from there behind the chair. Angle the chair so it is facing the entry and looks welcoming, since the first piece of furniture in the room has its back to the door. This will be the eye's first vignette - chair, table, art. Try the table from under the clock with the chair. How do you like the wedding pics flanking the French doors? What will you use to fill the space where the bookcase is if you put it on the other wall? We're just playing for now to see what works and feels right, so as long as you have the stamina to try things, we'll get there soon.
May 2, 2013 at 3:08pm   
brown5063
What about moving the 5 pc above the fireplace and hanging the Thomas Kincaid over the chair?
May 2, 2013 at 3:30pm   
brown5063
Do u think it looks empty under the 5 pc pic?
May 2, 2013 at 5:46pm   
brown5063
Do u have any suggestions for what to hang on the wall over the chair area? I think it's so dark in the corner w/ the tree pics any suggestions? What about be area by the tv ?
May 2, 2013 at 5:50pm   
licksch
I would probably arrange the pictures somewhat differently and that would likely solve your problem. As it is right now they create quite a dark block on the wall. If you worked with a diagonal or staggered the pictures so they occupied the space differently then you would not have that empty looking wall underneath.
May 2, 2013 at 5:55pm   
I was thinking the picture above the mantel could work behind the chair. but it may be too small. What did you think about the family photos above the mantel? I see someone else had the same thought in their comment. Do you have a rectangular table lurking in another room to replace the white one? A sofa style table would do and you'd have room for a lamp on it. I don't mind keeping the entry open and free of furniture. You could try the curio there if you feel you'd prefer furniture and the photos go to the mantel. I still haven't gotten a good view of the tables that are at the entry - there seems to be one under the clock and another to the left of it. Don't forget to angle the chair a bit. We'll work on styling the mantel and other small decor once the basics are in place. The only issue with the TV is perhaps setting it on a swivel to turn for better viewing.
May 2, 2013 at 9:18pm   
brown5063
I love the wedding pics by the French doors. I like the Thomas kincade over the fireplace better than the family pics. The curio is a family heirloom, however it has some pitch issues. In other words it pitches forward. My dad made it. It's in a corner because it works there. It wouldn't look right where the pics are. I think I would like to put a table under the family pics or something. It looks odd to me fr some reason w/o anything under it. The tv is mounted to the wall, but it does pull out and swivel from side to side. We really like the cream table. It seems to brighten the room a bit. There is cream in the pic w/ the narrative . Is that enough to keep the table? Lighting is an issue. Would a floor lamp work or a small lamp on the table? Would mirrors work behind the chair and sofa? The foyer has a small Pritchett table under the clock. There is a plant stand on the side of that table in the dining room. We bought a second hand table my husband is refinishing to put on the end of the sofa and chair area. It's not finished yet.
May 3, 2013 at 7:24pm   
Sorry to hear the curio isn't flexible. Your dad did a great job! Could a change of legs somewhere on it stabilize it? There is a sort of balance "rule" about furniture and art or groupings. The piece hanging on the wall should be 75% of the width of the furniture under it. To get a table long enough to look proportionally right with the photo grouping it will be too long for that short wall. It would run into the drapery panels, which I was going to suggest we tweak a bit next. My issue with the cream table is that is is cottage style and not a fit with the rest of your furniture. It is also too narrow for a lamp to sit on. If you are looking for a way to brighten, consider painting it the green color from the leaf chair for a real pop and that may move it away from looing quite so cottage. Do you have a floor lamp in another room you could try in the corner to see how it works there? Glad you like the tweaks we're making. Appreciate your willingness to tug and shove! lol
May 4, 2013 at 7:05pm   
brown5063
New mirror over chair and new table under tree pic. What do u think?
May 4, 2013 at 7:05pm   
You slipped some pics in on me while I was commenting! I think that mirror would look wonderful if it will fit above the mantel. It is interesting enough to hold its own. Angle the chair, Put the Pritchett table with it and hang the Kinkead between the chair and lamp glow spot on the wall. As for the table under the tree, it is not substantial looking enough - too wirey and light for the visual "weight" of the picture. One way to tell is to back away an squint your eyes. If the table looks unsupported underneath it is too light. You might try it behind the sofa so the wiryness is hidden against the dark leather. Even the lamp and candlesticks look to heavy for it to support. Try the piece from the right end of the mantel and the two pictures on the bookcase with it.
May 4, 2013 at 7:17pm   
brown5063
What should go on the wall behind he chair
May 4, 2013 at 9:37pm   
brown5063
The Kincaid looks to small
May 4, 2013 at 9:47pm   
brown5063
So I'm going to return the table under the tree pic. What type of table and finish should I look for? What should I put on the table and type/ size of lamp.
May 4, 2013 at 9:52pm   
I agree, the Kincaid is too small. I think it would be perfect above the bookcase. The mantel is too long for it. Put it over the bookcase with that item you have on the right of the FP. Move the greenery to the mantel and stack the two pictures on the left side of the mantel, one a bit behind the other, mirror above it. As for the table, you might want to look at lamps first and then find a table wide and deep enough to carry the lamp you like without the lamp covering the picture. Measure the art and add 25% to that measurement for the table length. You could also do the same with a chest if you see something you like. Measure the chest that is under the TV. You might try it there and find a console table to go under the TV. Just play with the idea. Even a painted piece could work to add a nice pop of some interesting color - perhaps from the leaf chair as I suggested above.
May 5, 2013 at 5:12am   
brown5063
Any ideas for art behind the chair / couch area?
May 5, 2013 at 7:43am   
Genevieve
Sorry !

why is the TV watching the fireplace?

I would consider moving the TV where the sofa was originally and create a conversation area in that area ,place a couple chair facing the fireplace for a relaxed area a nice reading lamp would help if you decide to read .
May 5, 2013 at 7:56am   
brown5063
No thanks!! The tv is mounted to the wall. That's the only place it works w the Fp where it is
May 5, 2013 at 8:09am   
brown5063
Didn't like the Kincaid over the book case . That's a sentimental pc and we like it being the center of attention. I left the greenery there. Liked it better than the candlesticks. We have a smaller pic fro the entry wall. What do u think it looks like over the book case w/0 the photo albums? Also perplexed about what type / how big of pic to place on the wall b/w Fp and book case?
May 5, 2013 at 10:08am   
brown5063
Here is new pics. Do u like the chair/sofa placement wfloor lamp. We just flip flopped the lamps
May 5, 2013 at 10:11am   
I like the chair and table. The Kinkead was a better size for the bookcase (75% rule works there I think.) Did you return the mirror? If the Kinkead is to be the center of attention, it needs to be properly hung rather than propped. By the time you raise it to be 3-4" above the mantel it will be too close to the ceiling. The floor lamp works well here and provides reading light for both sofa and chair. Flip-flop is the name of the game until you hit on just the right placement. Actually, I'm ok with the empty space behind the chair. The eye needs a place to rest. Don't feel you have to fill every inch of space. Let the eye take in the change in upholstery.
May 5, 2013 at 12:24pm   
brown5063
I did return the mirror it was just to much for me. I like idea of leaving the area behind the chair open. We will look for a PC under the tree pic. We like the idea of a painted table/ chest. So what are ur thoughts about the tv area? It looks kinda plain there. My husband s concerned if I put something on the wall like a vase it will distract from the tv. The one side , where we have the doggie bed is completely open. The other side has a subwoofer next to the entertainment PC. Also the hearth is plain ? Any ideas?
May 5, 2013 at 4:44pm   
brown5063
Anyone have suggestions for my previous post?
May 8, 2013 at 3:36pm   
Haven't forgotten you, but I have a guest in for the week and am entertaining. As for the hearth; I like the two candles but not the milk bottle! lol! My thought for the TV area is that the chest below it doesn't fit the 75% rule. I think a low credenza that meets the rule by being 25% wider than the TV might take care of the problem you perceive. This might be the spot to inject the painted console. Just measure from the stair trim to the same spot on the other side and keep within that footprint and the rule of 25% wider than the TV. The subwoofer may fit inside if you find the right one.The pet bed may have to be moved - maybe behind the leaf chair, right of the French door or under the front window. Franklin Credenza in Water Based Lacquer Consoles...Credenzas...Chests Grandezza Console, Warm Green
May 8, 2013 at 5:39pm   
brown5063
Ok
May 9, 2013 at 4:06am   
Need help w dec the wall/floor area behind the couch and chair
The plant I just stuck there cuz it's so empty. Ideas?...
What do I do with this area behind the couch
It's about 6'x9' behind my large couch on the side...
Ideas for decorating wall behind my couch...
Just thought I'd see if anybody had suggestions on...
Is it okay to put chairs behind a sectional couch?
I moved my couch to the middle of the room now i have...
Squeaky floors......
I pose this question dear Houzzers- in older/historic...
Design gurus needed! Extend and remodel my ground floor please
We are planning a large double storey extension at...
Colorbond Wallaby. Help!
Hello, I need some help with finding colours to compliment...