Tiny, Tiny Cottage - almost done!
readbetterApril 28, 2013
Here are the latest pics of my living room, kitchen, master bedroom and -almost done - guest room. Please give input. I mostly need to know if I should put a headboard on the guest room bed. I was thinking of dark sea grass to match the beachy theme of my house.
In the guestroom I would angle the bed in the corner between the windows and add the headboard. Try a wall-mounted swing-arm lamp over it, so you can eliminate the large chest and lamp and use a smaller piece that doesn't crowd things up. The other bedroom, you could use a piece of art or two. How about a sisal area rug pulled halfway under the bed? I like the dogs for the kitchen. They'll be cute hung on the wall above the island. I think I'd like to see the blue pelican above the FP and the mirror opposite the FP to reflect it and the art. Love tiny houses! You're doing a great job!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 11:35AM
Lynne Forrestal
found you new thread , had to comment quick so I can get the updates.
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 2:54PM
bumblebee728
Happy to see the Tiny,Tiny Cottage is back! The seagrass headboard is a great idea, but since it will be against the window(s),I'm not sure it won't clash with the blinds. Are you keeping the blinds bare or using curtains?
I have the same window placement, bed positioning decision to make. I'm considering this look posted in your earlier thread.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 10:03AM
Purcell Quality, Inc.
What a great little cottage! If you are handy, you could create an upholstered headboard. I think the room certainly needs a head board to look finished.

Best of luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 10:07AM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Very cool cottage! I am designing a prototype project like this, any pics of the outside to share? Great job with the inside!
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 10:56AM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
BTW, what material did you use for Kitchen counter? Soapstone? I think I see a slight sheen to the finish.....
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 10:58AM
readbetter
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, my profile pic is of the front of my house. The back is still awaiting a patio/deck or something and a stoop/steps off the back bedroom sliding door. Instead of commercial siding which I dislike, I chose to have the shingles painted BM I think Dance Party red. The kitchen counters are Silestone night mist.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 12:08PM
readbetter
I agree about needing a headboard and I think I like the dark sea grass to match the rest of the beach theme. The little window will be replaced with a new one and I will have a honeycomb shade put to match the sliding door so it won't get in the way. Can't have any fabric hanging because of the cat - oh boy, would he love to play with that! Pet owners are so limited.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 12:11PM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
@readbetter, thanks for the info. You have a great cottage and you are doing a great job! Congrats!
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 12:19PM
bumblebee728
Oh yes, sorry I forgot about the kitty! He'd have a blast tearing the curtains up :). I think the seagrass headboard will be perfect. I think you're saying the window will be larger? Then the headboard will be a nice fit square on right? In that case the seagrass will be 'comfortable' with the blinds. Love the simple, clean, beauty of your style.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 12:26PM
lrm1
My vote is still for an iron headboard, bed centered under window. Maybe some wall mounted swing arm lamps on either side of the bed (pottery barn) and a sea grass chair?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 12:29PM
mjmil
Love your little cottage. I think a seagrass headboard would be great.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:44PM
jg011011
This is the cutest little cottage I have ever seen! You have done a beautiful job.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:57PM
Ann
Glad I found your discussion! I love the new chair in the living room. I'd hang the picture in the kitchen on a wall rather than leaning it. I recently saw a very open iron headboard against a window and it looked nice - I thought of your situation. It'll be fun to follow this discussion!!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:04PM
readbetter
Thanks everyone! I am planning on hanging kitchen picture. Just waiting for someone to do it. My concern about iron headboards is this- don't the pillows fall through?
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:47PM
pearlmelba
Wow what a fab job
Your tiny cottage is a credit to you apart from getting your picture hung
Oh and your headboard
Hope all you have to do now is sit back and enjoy
1 Like    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 7:47AM
olldroo
Readbetter - do you remember my very first comment to you "You're asking us??" This is all beautiful, things mightn't be spot on centred perfectly (define perfect anyway) what the heck, it is what is giving your home it's character, it looks lived in and loved. Perfection takes it to the "staged" look.

I love the new chair in the living room and I love how you have played the colour around the room between the chair, the cushions and McPelican, it is all just so right. Your bedroom looks lovely, I like that linen up there better. The kitchen is so simple yet it has character too and the McHounds add just the right amount of colour. The patchwork in the guest room has such a lovely homely welcoming feel to it and the McBird MKll cushion blends perfectly. You have a wonderful eye for mixing and matching things, don't ever doubt your ability.

I'm still open on the head board, I really don't think you need it - sometimes we can get a little caught up with what we think we should have or what style demands. If you do go ahead with one, make sure you get one you can return if you aren't happy with it.

Thank you for sharing all this, it has been one of the most enjoyable threads on Houzz.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 8:07AM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
@olldroo, well said! This is a fun one! Not much to add, enjoy....
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 8:28AM
Ingrid Porter Interiors, LLC
I always think a window dressing adds the final touch to any space, have you thought of a soft treatment on windows?
    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 8:31AM
Jayme H.
I still want that bird back!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 8:47AM
readbetter
Gee, thanks, so much! You have given me confidence to try new things - like a great big blue oil painting of a pelican!!! Olldroo, don't worry, McBird is only a few feet away watching us from the stairwell. Still deciding on the headboard. I'll wait on window treatment decisions until all my new windows are in. I suppose now I have to have the basement finished so I have something new to decorate????? McThanks, all!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 9:00AM
readbetter
Jayme, I meant to say, about McBird.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 9:03AM
Jayme H.
I love that pelican painting!
    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 9:19AM
readbetter
Jayme, so do I. I took a big, big chance - thanks to you all - and went for so much color. I don't even wear colors. I'm so glad I did.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 9:26AM
Jayme H.
@readbetter...Well done! Love your cute place!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 9:35AM
Tiny Bathroom
I plan to turn the toilet and vanity around so they...
harmony25
Looking to improve my little tiny house
I have the same design dilemma I had awhile ago - although...
e5palier
Need kitchen cabinet help for a tiny kitchen
I am purchasing a small cottage with a tiny kitchen....
Sandra
This Tiny Kitchen Needs Help
My son and wife bought a house in the suburbs so they...
kmkare
Suggestions for tiny living room invited.
(Trying this for the umpteenth time. I'm nothing if...
griffsma
matching granite throughout house
Would it be a bad idea to have different granite in...
cindyd2028
What goes with this chair?
I need help figuring out what to out with my new chair!...
wapusk99
Where can I find a matching chair?
I purchased this chair (with matching sofa) several...
jpsf49
Fireplace stones
I wanted to add more stones up to the ceilings. Please...
Tiffany Vo
Great Room Lacks Some Style
I'd so appreciate some ideas to fit my Mediterranean/Transitional...
lamujerdegary