Should I turn living room into dining room?
decordummy
Moving day is 3 weeks away and I'm trying to decide if I should make the living room (as per blue print) the dining room. The current home owner has the dining room, turned living into additional dining area and the island has seating. These are all within a few feet of each other and it doesn't make sense to me. The living room has a built in full size wine refrigerator along with the built in bar area.

If so what do I turn the dining room into? I'm so confused.

All furnishings are theirs.
decordummy
A couple pics didn't load sorry.
April 28, 2013 at 1:03pm   
astraea
Hard to tell, without interior walls & doors showing. Surely before you bought this house, you thought about the rooms as they are, and what might work better for you? You can always keep things as they are, and see how it feels as you live there for a little while, then shift furniture around. As far as what to do with the dining room; is there any function you'd like more room for, but don't currently have with this set-up?
April 28, 2013 at 1:05pm   
Interiors International, Inc.
The dining area looks huge. I seldom use my dining room and would rather have the living room and family room combined into one large entertainment space.
April 28, 2013 at 1:07pm     
decordummy
Sorry I'm new here. Here is a shot of the other dining room.
April 28, 2013 at 1:08pm   
decordummy
Thanks Interiors International, That's what I was thinking. The only thing that is stopping me from that is the header and the tiny wall area that juts out near the floor that separates the rooms.
April 28, 2013 at 1:13pm   
Interiors International, Inc.
You may need a contractor to tell you if that can be torn out completely or just opened up more. The rooms could still be treated as one area that flows together.
April 28, 2013 at 1:47pm     
if you are fine with having the family and living room adjacent to each other.
April 28, 2013 at 3:00pm   
FOCAL POINT STYLING
I'd go for it - combining the Living Room and Family Room into a lifestyle for today: the Great Room - Have two zones: one for conversation and one for tv...
April 28, 2013 at 3:07pm     
decordummy
For all of you who replied THANK YOU! Someone I showed the pictures to actually pointed out all the eating areas to me and since then that's all I could think of. Once I'm in the house hopefully I can get some decor help otherwise I'll have dogs playing poker art up in every room.
April 28, 2013 at 4:41pm   
solraven
When we bought our home, 1.5 yrs ago, we had a similar bizarre layout, but what didn't work for others, was exactly what we wanted, because we wanted a study, that was away from the bedrooms. From what I can figure out in the pics, I would close off that front room, next to the foyer, and make it a study. Most homes usually need one, and that seems like the ideal location.
April 28, 2013 at 4:59pm   
olldroo
The whole thing comes down to your family, your lifestyle and daily living and needs. Personally, I do like a sitting area adjacent to the front entrance for casual callers to sit without them walking half way through the house, so leaving the plan as is suits that criteria for me. It also means there is an adult sitting area away from the family room assuming this would be for the TV and the children to use. The dining room is nicely adjacent to the kitchen and creates a noise barrier between the two sitting rooms. If you didn't need the two sitting areas, a home office would be nice at the front, if you had the need for it. I note you have a lovely big island in the kitchen so one would assume this would make a great homework area for children to work with supervision. You don't say the age of your children (if any) so if you have younger children the family room may be more useful for them as a playroom and the front area then used as a TV/sitting room, until they outgrow the "playroom" need.

You have a lot of options here, and you may find as your family grows, your needs will change and you will change the use of the rooms anyway. I think I would leave that division between the dining and family room, it is nice to section off areas within a large area, this does it nicely and leaves you more options for the future.

Sounds like the present owners really like to entertain.
April 28, 2013 at 5:33pm     
Archevie Design
A study makes sense to me. Or get a piano! They have ones that play themselves! Nice home.
April 28, 2013 at 6:49pm     
decordummy
Thanks again for the replies. It's nice to plan ahead so I know where to have the movers actually place things. I think I'll try to combine the family & living room together. When you say study I'll assume you also mean office which will be on the second floor. olidroo it's just my partner and I, so no kids unless you want to count my dogs.

I'm sure I'll be back asking something stupid like do these lime green curtains go with the purple walls & the hot pink shag carpeting.
April 28, 2013 at 8:19pm     
olldroo
Can you still buy hot pink shag carpeting????

Well, with no kids, it sounds like the wine fridge and bar will be a keeper. Of course the dogs will find their place too, at least they are not like cats who tell YOU which rooms they will have.

I hope you will be very happy in your new home, it looks lovely.
April 28, 2013 at 8:33pm     
jingstad
The pictures show that there are walls....the blueprint does not indicate walls. That makes it harder to make suggestions. But, looking at the dining room....I am thinking it would be a nice sitting room....replace the window with French doors. The sitting room could be a nice garden room. Also, where is the door from the garage located? The photos look like there are 2 dining rooms.
April 28, 2013 at 8:48pm   
house1121
make it into a breakfast room or study that is what i would do or a maybe a beautifully organized space to keep jackets misc items ??? build a wall and make it a chefs pantry or since it is attached to garage like i said above keep with the entryway them such as nice mudroom??
April 28, 2013 at 8:52pm   
decordummy
Sorry I don't have better pictures. I'm grabbing them from the listing and from the 360° views. There is a hallway between the two dining rooms that leads to the upstairs, the garage and to a laundry room. I think they might have taken some space from the garage. It's getting hard to remember the layout. I don't think I would get much use out of a mudroom since I'm in Florida. And there are walls that the prints don't show.

Like I said I was just trying to get ideas before I moved in so I knew where to at least place some of the big stuff. I was trying to keep my initial posting sort as possible because I knew it would be confusing. Now I am thinking of making the dining room the living room because there is no place to put the TV except in front of a window.
April 28, 2013 at 9:56pm   
olldroo
Hate things being put in front of windows like that and during the day it can get quite a strain on the eyes unless you close the blinds which can then make the room dreary. I've just noticed the pool area, does this mean the family room opens to that, in which case will you have an outdoor sitting/eating area there? I think if that is the case I would leave it as a sitting room and move the TV to the living room and make that a TV/sitting room. Do you read much? - you could also set it up as a library reading room, if you had the need. As I said before, you really need to look at how you are going to live there, what your lifestyle will be, and then consider the flow between the rooms. It looks like you have doors from your kitchen to the patio which is convenient for taking food and utensils outside for a bbq and outdoor eating, with an outdoor sitting area between that and the family room. I can see this working well for entertaining. For winter or inclement weather you still have the dining area adjacent to the kitchen with the sitting area adjoining.
April 29, 2013 at 12:30am     
Total overhaul!
Hi, I'm thinking of redecorating this 1960's London...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Any help for my room? Thanks!!!
Hi, I'm hannah, I am going to be a junior this year...
Living room isn't flowing
Advice needed!! I have been working on this room,...
Backyard Advice Please :)
My yard is in dire need of change and I would really...