Need help on completing the living room
melindwang
Hi all, we have bought the three-seat sofa, coffee table and the carpet for the living room. As you can probably see in the picture, the sofa is kind of dark gold with a tint of metallic looking) with its own 4 cushions.. The carpet is kind of orange/red with beige and gold color. I am looking for two chairs to complete the room and really need some advice on the fabric and style of the chair.. Should we consider solid or stripe (same as one of the pillows)? Also what style would fit better with what we have now? I include a pic of possible one. If i choose the same fabric as the stripe pillow, they would be way over our budget (quoted 5k each with safavieh store discount), any suggestions, especially more economical ones?

Additionally, though the living room is not big, it is kind of long, so there are still space behind "imagined" chairs (to the window). Should we leave it alone, or perhaps add more stuff there, which i totally have no clue..

This is our first house, but the progress of furnacing it has been extremely slow, partially because I had no experience/clue, partially because i used to have a hectic job, but now i really want to put more effort...and would really love to hear any input and suggestion...Thank you so very much in advance!!
melindwang
Any advice at all? Really need some help..
April 28, 2013 at 4:24PM   
linlac
Can you take a closer picture of the couch and the carpet together. Also need to see the surrounding area. Make sure the lighting is good. The way it looks now there is more light on one arm of the couch. Doesn't look gold in the picture.
April 28, 2013 at 5:03PM   
melindwang
Hi Linlac, thanks a lot for your feedback! Let me try to take a few better pictures and repost tomorrow..
April 28, 2013 at 5:21PM   
I suggest you take a look at a local Mitchell Gold furniture dealer as they have a number of very attractive chairs of excellent quality that would be more affordable than what you've been considering, and equally lovely. Here's one of the Mitchell Gold chairs I like: http://www.mgbwhome.com/CARA-CHAIR-P8393.aspx

But if you want a French chair such as is in the photo above , then here's one below that's attractive from Horchow, and then its cousin from another company.

It might be a good thing for you to find your own interior designer who does not work for a furniture company who could help you finish your house so that it will become the beautiful home that you want and deserve. It's a terribly frustrating thing to try to do something you've never done before with no professional help. The money spent on an interior designer may pay for itself by helping you avoid expensive mistakes which are so easy to make when furnishing a home.
Slate Bergere Chair & Ottoman
Bergere Chair and Ottoman
April 28, 2013 at 6:17PM     
tcufrog
Is it possible to just buy the fabric you like? If so, you might be able to find a deal on vintage chairs with good bones and ugly fabric and have them reupholstered. I've seen similar chairs many times at used furniture stores with seventies burnt gold velour but lots of potential hidden under it.
April 28, 2013 at 6:21PM     
Is that your fireplace to the right in your picture? Move your sofa so that it faces it. Maybe different pillows, calmer, not so large would let your sofa fabric show
Entry Stair Case
Stanley Continuum Fret Back Arm Chair Amaretto Cherry 816-11-70
April 28, 2013 at 6:30PM     
melindwang
Hi Carolyn, thank you so much for your advice and help! I will look into freelance interior designer as you suggested. We have only come across services working for furniture stores, and did not decide to use any because i have not yet found a store which i like a lot of their stuff..
April 28, 2013 at 6:34PM   
gregjswife
I agree that the pillows should be smaller, more plain, with red to complement your rug.
April 28, 2013 at 6:41PM     
melindwang
Hi Tcufrog, that's a great idea! i will ask Savavieh whether they sell the fabric.. They told me the main reason the chair would be
that expensive is the fabric (very high grade..,). If i can use a lower grade fabric, the price could drop to 3k ish.. Still not cheap :-). Thank you very much!
April 28, 2013 at 6:41PM   
melindwang
Judyg, thanks very much for your help! Yes, the fireplace is to the right in the picture. Will see whether we can move the sofa to face it.. One potential issue is that we have a full size piano against the wall facing the fireplace.. Alas, many challenges working with relative small space ! :-)
April 28, 2013 at 6:45PM     
It may be less expensive to find a fabric for the chairs and have new pillows made to match the chairs, although we're not doing so much of that matching business as we used to. It could be a totally different fabric that blends with the fabrics you have.
April 28, 2013 at 6:47PM     
melindwang
Gregjswife, thanks! Let me put more thoughts on the pillows.. I have never thought about that! :-)
April 28, 2013 at 6:47PM   
Yes, if you're going to keep that rug, you could even do solid red chairs and add some red to the sofa pillows.
April 28, 2013 at 6:50PM     
melindwang
Carolyn, thanks! It looks like changing the pillow is the way to go..You folks are so creative! I never thought about that... Hmm, might be time to get some professional help because it is so hard for me to imagine in my mind what fabric would work :-))
April 28, 2013 at 6:51PM   
If you have a Calico Corners near you, their employees are usually extremely helpful...but only if you can't find an interior designer to coordinate everything because that will work even better!
April 28, 2013 at 7:04PM     
linlac
I still would love to see a close up of the pillows. I have a preference for the sofa and pillows over the rug. Could the rug be moved to another room. Did you pick the sofa and love something about it? Did you have the rug or pick it to match the gold in the couch? Do you like the sofa with the pillows better than the rug?This needs to be about you and what you think is beautiful. I think it is a great idea to work with a designer. They can give you options and you pick what speaks to you.
April 28, 2013 at 7:34PM     
linlac
The pillows shouldn't be spread across the sofa like that. Angle them in the corners before you take a picture.
April 28, 2013 at 7:37PM     
melindwang
Linlac, we picked the couch first. I like the color and the tailored look. Then we picked the rug to match the gold color of the couch.. I am
attaching two close pictures of the pillows. I did not know i should angle them in the corner to take pictures...:)) Thank you so much!
April 28, 2013 at 7:44PM   
linlac
Try them like this.
April 28, 2013 at 7:44PM     
melindwang
Hi Carolyn, i will look into interior designer and then Colico Corner.. Am bit afraid of the potential high price tag, but i guess it does not hurt to ask :-)) We have a relative small house, i had thought it would not be very hard to do it. But in reality, it is a lot harder!! Oh well :-))
April 28, 2013 at 7:50PM   
melindwang
Linlac, i see... Will put them like in the picture from now on. Thanks!!
April 28, 2013 at 7:51PM   
linlac
I love the pillows. The easy fix is to ditch them but if you love the sofa and pillows change the rug. I'm looking around at my house realizing I went with the norms and what appeals to the masses. Not really true to myself. Love everything you pick.
April 28, 2013 at 7:54PM     
melindwang
Also, i guess i pick the rug because i like the warm, inviting feel with the color orange/red and gold), sine all other stuff (couch and curtains are more or less neutral in color).. Given our budget, i would prefer not to move the rug if possible.. Thanks everyone for your help!!
April 28, 2013 at 7:56PM     
melindwang
Linlac, thanks! Hmm, will need to make some choices... :) i really try to pick only things i like, that's why it took me almost two years to do this far... ha, just kidding :-). But need help to find ways to have the put together look.. ;-)
April 28, 2013 at 8:00PM   
linlac
It doesn't hurt to check and get ideas on pricing. The point she is making is it may save you money in the long run. Everyone thinks you have picked a rug that's not right for the pillows. Each time you make a mistake it will cost you.
April 28, 2013 at 8:02PM     
melindwang
Yeah, i think it is a great idea! Will look into an interior designer.., picking the wrong rug is definitely very costly mistake :-( since we spent a lot on it.. Thanks for the advice!!
April 28, 2013 at 8:07PM   
linlac
That answers my question. I like the sofa and the rug. Maybe you can request some pics of pillows and chairs that will bring the two together. I'm always looking for my house so I'll keep my eyes open.
April 28, 2013 at 8:07PM     
melindwang
Linlac, sure i will put more thoughts on the pillow and chairs.. and hopefully get a professional who can fit into our budget :-))
April 28, 2013 at 8:11PM   
Frequently, good rug dealers will let you trade in your rug, at the price you paid for it (or close) if it's in perfect condition, on another rug. If your rug dealer is willing, then take your new interior designer with you to select a different one. Otherwise, a change of pillows will make the rug work well for you.
April 29, 2013 at 5:57AM     
melindwang
Thanks Carolyn! It is good to know that! I will check with them
to see whether they offer the option...
April 29, 2013 at 6:07AM   
coby0042
Hi there. Just thought I'd weigh in to give you extra affirmation re opinions you have been given here. First of all just want to say that I LOVE the shelves flanking window. I would like to see them completely cleared of small clutter.

Love the pillows. Love the rug. NOT together though. Any chance you could use either in a different room?

Decide that piece and let's go from there.

I'd love to see a better pic of window and treatment if that's possible
April 29, 2013 at 6:17AM     
melindwang
Coby, thank you very much for your opinion and advice! I am a bit surprised that you like the window with shelves, i will take a closer pic later today.. I kind of don't know what to do with the shelves to make it look neat :-))

I am glad u love the carpet since it got many criticism :-)). I picked it and love it.. I like the pillows as well, but don't mind use them in another room... I just did not know before they need to match - i only focused on the couch, my mistake.. :-))
April 29, 2013 at 6:27AM     
coby0042
Hi M. Also wanted to add that I love the light blue green colour in the carpet. If you could find pillows with that colour either plain or with a graphic pattern it would be stunning as well as current. Another option would be the cream or red...again pulled from the carpet. I'll look for a photo for you. Happy decorating :)
April 29, 2013 at 6:49AM     
melindwang
Thank you so much, Coby!! I did not realize there is blue in the carpet :-)) Great observation!
April 29, 2013 at 6:55AM   
gregjswife
I like the rug too! I have a similar one in my home and I used a simple stripe that pulls only the colors from the rug in. I think the key with the pillows is to either use solid colors (or tone on tone print, which reads as solid) or to use a different scale with the print (i.e. small or medium, the rug is a large scale print). Using your current pillows in another room is a good idea. You could also pick out fabric from Joann and have someone sew new covers for you.
April 29, 2013 at 7:06AM     
Nan Mckay
place the sofa facing your fireplace then place two wing back or club chairs on each side of the sofa
April 29, 2013 at 7:12AM     
flasthrnbel
I agree with Coby, you have picked a lovely rug, stay with that and choose different pillows but wait until you have chosen your chairs. Pick your big items first. As for chairs, I have had excellent luck finding chairs at local thrift and consignment stores. If you have a Habitat ReStore in your area check it out. If you find a quality piece it is well worth having it re-covered. As Carolyn mentioned, hiring a designer is well worth the cost. Another option is hiring a "furniture stager" to help. Good luck and keep us updated!
April 29, 2013 at 7:47AM     
coby0042
Oh, yes of course!! New chairs first. Good catch Flast. Find two NEUTRAL chairs. Maybe in the cream from carpet. I don't want to see you making a radical choice w pattern, M. That is unless store will let you take one home and see how you feel.
April 29, 2013 at 7:53AM     
coby0042
Me again. Ha. Just to follow up w pic I promised. This Combo would be a fun summer option...again just think about it till after you've decided chairs. :) maybe with rustier red than orange.
What do you think?
April 29, 2013 at 8:23AM     
coby0042
Don't forget to hide electrical cords as best as you are able. Run the lamp one under the carpet to hide it
April 29, 2013 at 8:26AM     
melindwang
Thank you all so much!!! Yes, i love the pillows Coby picked, could def work with the carpet
we have now...
Will ask my hubby to hide the cords, or do it myself, since have asked many times :-))

There are lots of constraints we need to deal with, financial, cultural ( none of us grew up here..), space
(we can only afford a small house in the area), human (our in laws often live with us)..,but i am deeply grateful and appreciative of everyone's help and become more confident on this huge project!! Will def show the progress one day :-))
April 29, 2013 at 8:40AM     
gregjswife
Here is another idea, these are from Pier One
April 29, 2013 at 9:04AM     
gregjswife
Or these are from Bed Bath and Beyond, you could go with the rust and blue colors here. The second picture shows the tone on tone effect I suggested earlier.
April 29, 2013 at 9:06AM     
coby0042
A more traditional approach. Like the tone on tone. Use both together. Good job Greg's wife. I agree with you in other discussions too. ;)
April 29, 2013 at 9:14AM     
linlac
Now that I am at a full size computer I can get a better perspective on your colors. Everyone likes the rug and the sofa together, just not the pillows. I didn't see any comments that were negative about the rug. Just trying to see which you like better. I think Carolyn is right about being able to do better on the price. When I get time later I'm doing some chair shopping for my house and I'll keep my eyes open for you. You may want to stop this discussion and open a new one with a picture of the sofa without the pillows. Get a nice clear pic of the sofa with the rug, a close up of the rug, and a close up of the sofa fabric. Take some pictures of the surrounding area as well. Ask for ideas for chairs and pillows. Show the chair you were looking at if that is the style you want. If you don't know what you want leave it open. There are so many different styles of chairs that would look nice. Love the bookcases in the background. After you tackle the chairs and pillows you can work on decorating the shelves.
April 29, 2013 at 9:16AM     
coby0042
Blue looks too slate grey though, but like idea in general
April 29, 2013 at 9:16AM     
linlac
I like those solid pillows gregjswife.
April 29, 2013 at 9:18AM     
linlac
Tuesday morning has some really nice chairs on their website.
April 29, 2013 at 9:27AM     
melindwang
Gregjswife, Coby and Linlac, thank you so much! I guess i should close this post and re-open one later with better pictures as Linlac suggested.. Let me figure out how to close a discussion since i just started to put questions since yesterday :)but def have a lot more ideas with all the help from all of you !! Enjoy the rest of your day!
April 29, 2013 at 9:28AM   
melindwang
Gregjswife, just saw the chairs you put... I love the style of the first one! I can't believe the price too! I read the price a few times to make sure i did not miss a zero in the end? :-) Thank you so much!!
April 29, 2013 at 9:31AM   
linlac
Wayfair, Overstock and Amazon are a couple of other websites to look at. The chairs I posted were just to show some different styles and the prices that you can pay for a nice chair. I think your rug has yellowish undertones so the second chair may work with red bolster pillows. I like the color of the pillow from pier one.
April 29, 2013 at 9:37AM     
melindwang
Awesome! I will check out for the chairs and pillows...
April 29, 2013 at 9:39AM   
linlac
I posted that one because I want it for myself. I have a similar one already that I paid $900 for
April 29, 2013 at 10:15AM     
linlac
I like the match to the sofa on this one but I guess it's too dark.
April 29, 2013 at 10:46AM     
gregjswife
It was linlac that put the chairs pictures! I like the first one, too. The one with the wood and linen stripes. It feels traditional but not stuffy.

Coby, thanks! I always seem to have the traditional pov in these discussions. I feel like everyone has modern taste except me : )
April 29, 2013 at 10:55AM     
Just be aware with these highly reduced pieces that sometimes you get what you pay for. The quality of the wood and the way the chair is put together may not be what you want. Size is important too and doesn't show up in a photo. So I'd like you to be able to see the chair and sit in it before buying, unless this is a chair that will seldom be used.
April 29, 2013 at 11:00AM     
coby0042
Agreed, Carolyn!! Fun to bargain hunt but buyer beware the low low prices
April 29, 2013 at 11:03AM     
linlac
Gregjswife I love the traditional. I think our taste is a lot alike. I think it was you that liked the blue floral for the green bathroom discussion.
April 29, 2013 at 11:05AM     
Just buy a sofa like the one you have place across from other one. Put Same pillows etc. behind new sofa put a sofa table. They are long and narrow. Fill with candles, plants books. Your room is lovely. Invest in sofa instead of chairs too boring.
April 29, 2013 at 11:06AM     
There should be 18" between sofa and coffee table.
April 29, 2013 at 11:06AM     
I like to sit in a chair to read a book, with a place to rest both arms, so I'd be happier with a sofa and two chairs. I also find that combination easier to rearrange than two sofas.
April 29, 2013 at 11:09AM     
coby0042
Ooooo. Love the debate!! I'm with you Carolyn re chair for reading. I'm with you Travis re aesthetic of having perfect symmetry w two couches. Nice and clean vs comfort. Him
April 29, 2013 at 11:14AM     
coby0042
I meant hmmm not him. Sorry
April 29, 2013 at 11:14AM     
I've looked at comments. First of all you are making some very good choices. I love your taste, and style. For someone who says they don't what they are doing, is very wrong. You are doing a great job. Your home looks beautiful. Don't change a thing. I love your choice of area rug, it goes perfect. See my comments above about buying another sofa. That's all you need in a small rm.don't agonize if you are are doing everything perfect.you are. Enjoy your new home. It reflects your personality.
April 29, 2013 at 11:15AM     
linlac
I check the manufacturer and google so I can see what I am getting. Old hickory tannery and Huntington house are both good quality. That's who makes most of the furniture that's at Tuesday morning right now. Homegoods usually has good quality pieces. You will have to be cautious and do your homework when you look online. I love to hunt for good deals but like you said it's not a good deal if its going to fall apart.
April 29, 2013 at 11:16AM     
grandmalucy12
I love the picture of the chairs. You pick out one of the colors in the rug or pillows. I think a small stripe would be great. Also put a sofa table behind your sofa or in front of the window . Maybe with a lamp.
April 29, 2013 at 11:22AM     
gregjswife
FWIW, $999 seems like a normal price to me for a chair. 5k is an insane price for a chair, IMO. As long as it is a good brand, you can find some great pieces at your local Homegoods, Tuesday Morning, etc type stores.
April 29, 2013 at 11:26AM     
sunshinemama941
I recently bought chairs from overstock and was very pleased with the quality (three different styles) I did have an issue with the leg of one, but they promptly sent a replacement. I read the reviews first and have not been disappointed. Our local big lots also had some nice chairs for $129 (I think they were down to that from $250 and I think i saw somewhere they may have been a name brand?)
April 29, 2013 at 12:44PM     
melindwang
Thank you all! Sorry I got tied up in the afternoon...

Nan, yes, it would look great if I can put the sofa facing the fireplace, however, it may not work for us, because we have a huge piano against the wall facing the fireplace...Thanks!

Flashrnbel: thanks very much for the great advice, I will check into the consignment stores and stager. and will def keep you updated after we pick the chairs/sofa! :-)

Coby, thanks again for all your comment and the pillow you picked! I love them, do you happen to know which brand is that?

Gregjswife, thanks a lot for the pillows you picked from Pier 1 and BBB, and sorry I did make a mistake, it is Linlac who put the images of the chairs.

Linlac, thank you so very much for the many chairs you picked and for keeping an eye for me!! I love the style of the first one the best. I am sure it will be a great addition for your home! I will repost again after I take some more/better pictures..

Carolyn, thanks again for all your great advice on our living room and hallway!

Travisinteriors, thank you very much for your advices! Your posts are very touching for some reason...Thank you.. I did put a lot of thoughts, though i was limited by lac of skills, knowledge and experience... just want to make our home a beautiful and lovely one so that my boys will have lots of great happy memories when they grow up even though we are not rich... If you don't mind, could you please explain a bit more how you would put the new sofa, when you say "place across from the other one"? I would imagine the new sofa table and the sofa should run parallel with the couch? Also as a foreigner, I actually don't quite know the exact difference between sofa and a chair :-) (please don't laugh at me if that sounds silly :-)). In the beginning, I wanted to pick two chairs because I want to show more of the carpet since I think it is lovely :-)). Let's take the ones that Linlac showed as an example, I consider the first one a chair, and the third one a sofa, am I understanding it correctly?

Grandmalucy, thanks for your comment! We actually added a long sofa table behind the couch after the picture was taken (a while ago, as you can imagine :-). I will update the pictures... unfortunately the table is a bit too big/tall to my taste which is a poor judgement on my part...but will show you folks later :-) We would like to decorate with lamps, as you suggested!

Sunshinemama, I will check out overstock.com, thanks a lot for the idea!

Thanks again for all of you who has offered great advice and help on our house.. I am really touched with your kindness!!
April 29, 2013 at 2:26PM   
Need help to complete our living room (continued)
Hi all, I have asked help on completing our living...
Need Help to complete Living Room
My living room has brown/champagne color sofa and chaise....
Need help decorating complete living room
So we've lived in our house for many years and I am...
Need help to complete my living room!
Hello Help, I really need help with my living room....
Need help with completing my living room
Need paint suggestions and ideas for side tables &...
LIVING ROOM READY FOR COUCH COLOR
I HAVE MED BROWN CARPET/GREEN UMBER SHADES/THE PAINTING...
An African Mediterraneaan Look
The project is to integrate an African and Mediterranean...
Kitchen help !!!
Hello there, we're hoping to move into our new home...
Wall Art
Hi, I'm needing help with my tv wall. Do I need wall...
New place for 2 "sotto specchio"
I got 2 "sotto specchio's" unfortunately I do not know...