how to pull this together - help please!!!
sumeetinaz
I am putting together my formal dining - i love the dining table but how to pull this all together. Note the mirror is waiting to be hung.
Somehow the beauty of the table is not coming across - would it make sense to just have 4 chairs on the table and place the other 2 chairs on the sides?

Please do suggest, thanks!
bumblebee728
Yes, definitely 4 chairs around the table. If you can, group the other 2 together somewhere, rather than placing them separately. Maybe the tall vase with branches between them and when you're using them the vase can stand alone.
   April 28, 2013 at 10:00PM
bumblebee728
Just got another look at the picture, when you hang the mirror, put a small sidebar or a shallow table under it for some weight.
3 Likes   April 28, 2013 at 10:03PM
4 chairs and unless that room is a lot larger than the photo, I would store them elsewhere. I would take out the little corner table and vase. The vase is over powering it. I too would put a shallow table under the mirror. The candlesticks on the table are too tall. One last thing...straighten the picture :)
2 Likes   April 28, 2013 at 10:12PM
bumblebee728
And those candlesticks you have on the table, you might like them better on the table under the mirror. When they're lit that will be very pretty to see their reflection in the mirror. Then I would suggest a low bowl and maybe a table runner on the table, something to tie in the colors from the painting on the wall. These suggestions might get you started, and hopefully some of the pros will chime in!
   April 28, 2013 at 10:13PM
I like the 6 chairs surrounding the table. I think the wall color isn't doing the table justice and maybe the chandelier is hung a bit too high. Love the chandelier. This may sound "dated" but I think the frame of the art would look good in an antique gold of the chandelier. Also, I like to mix up the art size. If you have one rectangle on one wall, I like the other wall to have two squares, or 4 squares, etc. I think shade of the chairs, or a color taken the from art for a new wall color would give the dining room pizzaz. I'd remove the corner piece and make the table center stage.

7 Likes   April 28, 2013 at 10:20PM
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
Yes, 4 chairs, nothing in the corners. Put a narrow table on the wall where the picture is now. Put your mirror above in a vertical direction. Then , put the vase on table in front of mirron with branches to reflect in the mirror.. On the side wall put a series of smaller pictures, ie. 2 matching vertical pictures, or 3 more medium size pictures, or 4 pictures 2- above and 2 below. You get the idea, but AVOID putting a retangular picture of the same dimension as the mirror. You want to make them different.
5 Likes   April 28, 2013 at 10:21PM
bumblebee728
Just saw Margo's comment, I thought that was a tall vase in the corner, I'm using an iphone screen. Now I see, yes, it is a table with vase on it. I agree that doesn't work, so find other homes for them separately and maybe get a tall vase with branches that stands on the floor to put between the 2 extra chairs, where they can fit of course.
   April 28, 2013 at 10:21PM
sumeetinaz
Thank you so much all of you - you are wonderful - I will play around with these ideas and update with a new pic tomm.
3 Likes   April 28, 2013 at 10:30PM
bumblebee728
I agree with Darzy, that chandelier looks a bit too high. And Mary Poulos' advice about the same rectangles is true, aren't you glad I hoped for the pros and more seasoned decorators to chime in? They offer great advice!
   April 28, 2013 at 10:35PM
viewerfam
Try ground the table with an area rug as well.
2 Likes   April 28, 2013 at 11:16PM
sumeetinaz
Ladies - This is how your suggestions are shaping up. Please review the attached image. Couple of problems I have run into while incorporating Mary's suggestion of a console table is the wall where the art is doesn't have enough room to put in a table. So I am thinking of getting an oval table (same color as chandelier) and putting it anchored by the table there. What do you think?
2 Likes   April 29, 2013 at 8:56PM
Looks nice. Try putting one more chair for 5 chairs? I kinda liked the look of the not so typical orientation. I like that mirror!
2 Likes   April 29, 2013 at 9:15PM
Brooke Strong
I agree with Darzy...you need a richness addedo the room. I would paint a coloring the walls, add another chair or two and hang a mirror. I like the one you picked! I also think a new frame on the art
3 Likes   April 29, 2013 at 10:12PM
bumblebee728
It looks much better with 4 chairs and allows you to see more of the beauty of your table, which you said you were hoping for in your original post. This also leaves you with a pair of chairs to group together elsewhere instead of a single. Try pulling the 2 front chairs just a little closer together, same with the 2 back. Just a little!
Since there's no room for a shallow console on the wall where the art is now, try putting
one to the left of the dining table (looks like you've already done that) and hang your oval mirror above it.
I'm not sure what you mean by the oval table...size?
Where the art is now, what do you think of a horizontal piece of art or a horizontal grouping of smaller pieces? Keep them lightweight (visually and actual weight), if you won't be able to anchor them with a table under. Maybe a shallow shelf mounted on the wall with a horizontal painting leaning on it?
Also, as others suggested, a new, richer(?) paint color and lowering of the chandelier a bit.
Keep tweaking, try the suggestions you like, and please keep posting pix! It'll turn out beautifully!
   April 30, 2013 at 7:25AM
Sometimes it is a process, and yes we are not there to asses all of the dimensions you are dealing with. What I see is the styles of all of the elements you are using are in-congruent. You have to assess not only their styles, but their finishes. And when you assess their finishes, assess them as a color. And, then weave them together. For instance your chandelier fights with the image of the picture that we are seeing "through" the chandelier.

The wood of the chairs is of a different style and color than the frame on the picture and the finish of the table.

I like the example of Darzy's picture. The color of the drapes is similar to the color of the mirror's frame and then the tacks on the chairs is another harmonic of it carrying the eye across. Then the chandelier is reflected in the
mirror, virtually giving us two chandeliers to view and then we see the banding on the shades as a harmonic of the color of the chandelier.

Then the third color (some argue white is not a color but when doing interiors it is in my mind, as it is a color element of the design) so, the third color is white and we see it in the chairs the white flower bowl on the table and the white of the stairs reflected in the mirror and the white of the adjoining rooms.

So there you have it. Select your colors remember that you have at least two different colors going on in your woods. The table more reddish brown, the side table more pecan brown and the picture frame more mahogany/ purple brown. And your flooring is golden brown. So nothing here is working together and that is the problem you have as I see it.

Your picture is absolutely not working for you. Color or style.
3 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 7:39AM
Start with a rug that you like, that goes with the color of the chairs, because those chairs are the main color you have to work with Then you can paint the wall that is straight ahead in our view that color, either lighter or darker than the chairs, or in the case of the first rug , a deeper version of the beige. In the second rug you could paint the wall a muted terracotta color, or like in the case of the first rug, a color of the blue of the chairs.

The wall you are painting could also have molding on it, prior to painting. If you should decide to put pictures on the wall, straight ahead, do not put them behind the view of the Chandelier, or put a simple framed mirror directly behind the chandelier so that it will reflect.

Now we can see and appreciate the Chandelier.

Note - mixing styles is very dicey for amateurs and the Chandelier is a very different element from the rest of your furniture, but if done correctly can work.

Handmade Heritage Mahal Blue/Gold Wool Rug

Indo Hand-Knotted Serapi Rust/ Blue Wool Rug

Hand-Hooked Majestic Ivory/Blue Wool Rug

Surya - Monterey Rug in Dark Yellow/Blue/Light Blue
3 Likes   Thanked by sumeetinaz    April 30, 2013 at 7:42AM
sumeetinaz
Mary, would it make sense to get a neutral console table may be a metallic one with glass - same color as chandelier?
   April 30, 2013 at 7:47AM
sumeetinaz
That will take away the variable of different wood color - I was trying to tie the console table wood with chair frames
   April 30, 2013 at 7:50AM
Martha Woods
I definitely agree with: lower chandelier, 4 chairs, and paint the room. Not being able to see the room from another view, I would suggest to hang a mirror where the artwork is now so that the chandelier reflects in the mirror (thank you HGTV). With that said, what is the view from the other side looking into the room? If you put a complimentary fabric on the 2 odd chairs they might make occasional chair touches when not used at the table and yet fit nicely with other chairs when needed for seating 6 at table. Also, they appear they would be able to flank the slim console for a nice composition. Per the picture, your room highlight is the chandelier so play that up. If hung lower (don't they say no more than 30" above table?) it would automatically tie room together visually. Without being in the room it is hard to tell but the crystal of the light seems to not blend with the vase setup. That is one of those things it is hard to tell. Maybe you could do away with the vase and intersperse assorted crystal candlesticks with the brass to lighten it up. A grouping of botanical prints might look good over the console. I agree with one of the other suggestions that the picture does not work in the room. If you paint, choose some pictures that work well with your color. Something I have done with success (and compliments) is to lay a framed mirror in the center of the table with squattier crystal pieces on it. It makes a nice reflection without being too tall. Isn't it amazing how WE all know what you should do - - - I wonder what others would say about our rooms? I guess I am too big a chicken to find out.
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 8:10AM
After looking at this project, I would not put an ancillary table anywhere within the immediate area of the table as it will just be too tight. Instead,I would put my buffet, console etc. straight ahead on the wall, the wall you would be looking at when you come into the room from the opening we are seeing on the right of your picture. Then as Darcy said you can bring the rest of the chairs in around the table. Perhaps only 5 if it seems too crowded.

Then you can put something other than pictures on the wall to the left of your straight ahead view wall.

Calle Hermosa

And here is an example of the straight ahead wall with molding

Stiles Fischer recent projects
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 8:24AM
bumblebee728
How many people regularly dine at this table? If it's 4 or less, would you want the extra chairs around the table crowding everyone's space unnecessarily? Function and practicality are an important consideration.
   April 30, 2013 at 9:02AM
sumeetinaz
thanks all - your advice is deeply valued and appreciated. This is what the re-arrangement is shaping up like today. I will go look for a rug and update again
7 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 9:20AM
bumblebee728
Now I see the oval table, nice size for the space, but I think the rectangular mirror is too 'heavy' for it. You might like a slightly smaller, oval mirror over it. Maybe the one you have? And maybe try either the candlesticks or the vase, not both.
The idea of covering the other two chairs in a complementary fabric was a nice suggestion.
   April 30, 2013 at 9:48AM
Ann
That's a pretty room. I like its beauty and simplicity. I hope you can figure out how to lower the chandelier a bit. I love the bowl on the dining table. I also like the mirror and am wondering if it were hung about 4-5" above the table if the table size could support the mirror size (because that's a nice table under the mirror). I would leave only the candlesticks on the table, as a pair, kind of off to one side or the other. A great rug might be nice, but that's a big expense and the room is quite nice without one. Don't make too many changes - it's quite nice as is. I like the most recent furniture arrangement the best.
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 10:30AM
Ann
By the way, just the minor adjustments you've made so far have changed/improved the room quite dramatically! It's amazing how sometimes just rearranging the things we already have can work so well. I'm sure you'll find a great place somewhere else in the house for the art that was there in the beginning of the post.
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 10:39AM
sumeetinaz
All, here is the progress for the day. I found a rug in my house that had teal beige and green. Does it look too small for the area? I would prefer to re-use this however if this look too small/mismatching please do warn me. Also found an art piece in my house that has an ornate frame and colors of the rug. What do you all think? Does the mirror work?
   April 30, 2013 at 7:22PM
sumeetinaz
picture and mirror are waiting to be hung post your comments :)
   April 30, 2013 at 7:22PM
Martha Woods
My opinion is that the mirror does not work. You actually need to hang the larger mirror vertically center to the wall and lower the chandelier. Place the narrow sidebar piece back on the wall where it was. The extra chairs look wrong at an angle. Sit them on either side of the console piece flat against the wall. I just thought of another placement for your chairs around the table. I place 2 chairs side by side on opposite sides of my round table which makes an interesting look and a bit different. Try it - you might like it.
   April 30, 2013 at 8:38PM
Ann
I think the rug and the mirror are a little too small. Actually, I liked the room the best just before this most recent set of pictures.
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 9:15PM
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hi sumeetinaz, Marie here.
Your problem is everything other than the table and chairs are too small!
- don't like the painting / picture(s) they are too traditional looking and the context, patterns are bossing around what can / could be done in here.

I love the chandelier - so bring down that same metal colour into the room with a BIG, GORGEOUS mirror like this one from Christopher Guy.

Add a wider - almost as wide as the room credenza at the back, with two lamps on it, with a few more trinkets on the credenza ONLY - not on the table itself - leave that clean.

Then - your going to add an alternating fabric to the backs of your chairs only - in a tone on tone gold and turquoise sheen shown here.

Finally, add a gorgeous double - dyed rug from ABC Carpet. com, and make the area rug come 16" from each wall end into the room - the current area rug you have is TOO SMALL.

good luck with your project - what I found in researching items for you is that the gold, blue scheme you have going on here, isn't really condusive to more traditional patterns, textures - so stop fighting it and embrace the hollywood feeling you could have here...
3 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 9:19PM
bumblebee728
Hi Sumeetinaz, you're doing a great job trying different things. I think the new painting is very pretty and the colors are good for this room, but I can't tell the dimension of it.
I'm not crazy about the new mirror though.
The rug is nice but is too small. The chairs should still be on the rug even when pulled out from the table to be sat on.
Here's what I think you should try, to see if it works with what you already have:
Take the 2 extra chairs out of the immediate space and group them together somewhere else, angled a little towards each other with a small round table or tall vase with branches between them.
Remove the rug because its too small, I don't think you really need one, but if and when you decide to get one that's large enough, try that and see what you think.
Put the console along the left wall where the new art is sitting on the floor( because you seem to have more space there than the straight ahead wall) and hang the rectangular mirror over it. Place the 2 candlesticks on the table together, just slightly in front of the mirror.
Place a horizontal shelf( painted the same color as the walls) on the straight ahead wall and try the new art leaning on the shelf. Or a horizontal piece of art there,so as not to interfere with the chandelier.
Lower the chandelier to a height where when people are seated at the table, it doesn't interfere with their line of sight, and actually a little higher even than that.
These are ideas that you can try using things you already have (except for the shelf and horizontal art). You might be happier with it for now while you take your time and incorporate other suggestions you might have liked, such as the rug, new color on the walls, reupholstering the 2 chairs in a complementary color, or changing some of the wood tones that Mary Poulos suggested.
Hope this is a good approach and you continue to post pix!
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 9:40PM
Angelina Vick
Hi I am coming into this a little late, but I thought I would offer my "artist's eye" perspective.

The mirror, chandelier and objects that you have on the table need to pull apart. They are stacked layered on each other, and it's making the grouping look wrong.

The decorative items on your table need to be lower. The mirror should line up at the height between the table and the chandelier. I think it would look good coming up a little higher to reflect the chandelier, but don't overlap them too much or it will look smashed together, and don't make it too low that it's at the same height as the table. . I do like the wall you moved the mirror to. I like that you chose a round mirror. I think it's too small. It's such a big wall. It's asking for an impression to be made.

What size is the mirror that you got? The round one?

I think the art works well for your colors and style...perfect match.

I think the rug is ok for a temporary answer...but in needs to be bigger. When people pull those chairs out and sit on them...the will be half on and half off the carpet.
2 Likes   April 30, 2013 at 9:42PM
sumeetinaz
Thanks Martha, Ann and Marie. I got the idea on the mirror and size of the rug, still struggling with 4 chairs Vs 6 in the room. Tried Martha's idea of placing chairs on opposite side and with no wall to support, one chair looked unanchored.

Marie, where would I place the credenza - on the wall on the left? Also with credenza do I really need the semi oval table to anchor the mirror? Given the small space would it make sense to just have the credenza?
   April 30, 2013 at 9:45PM
Angelina Vick
Everything this is very rounded...the table, the chairs, the arch...I wonder if it would be better to hang your first mirror vertically?

I saw someone else suggest it...I think I agree. You already have it so it doesn't hurt to how it would look.
   April 30, 2013 at 9:50PM
sumeetinaz
Beautiful mirrors Angelina - l will try the existing rectangular mirror and see how it goes tomm
1 Like   April 30, 2013 at 9:54PM
Angelina Vick
I am glad you like them. I don't think you can go wrong with round or rectangle here...the question is...what looks best? I think there is something to the dark frame that is more substantial for that wall. It ties it to the wood of your table.

Good luck! Take pics!
   April 30, 2013 at 9:58PM
Ann
Oh I didn't know you had a credenza - I must have missed that part. How about putting the credenza on the back wall along with the large mirror hung whichever direction looks best. Then don't use the smaller semi oval table in the room at all. It sounds like you may want to use the 6 chairs and if you leave the left side empty, I think that works (or try 5 chairs as was suggested earlier). For now, I'd skip the art (besides the large mirror) since the room is better w/o the piece from the original post and the new one is nice but a bit too small. I'd probably go without a rug for now and maybe keep it that way if you grow to like it. I think everyone agrees the chandelier is nice by too high - hopefully there is extra cord in the ceiling and it's easy to add extra chain - if not it will be a quick job for an electrician.
   May 1, 2013 at 7:46AM
Sumeetinez, ABSOLUTELY have a rug, and make it large enough. And you already said you were using this rug to give us an idea of a rug and you knew it was a little small. But the rug creates the grounding of the space you are creating, the dining room.

Also, make your picture one that is of a higher quality of art. It doesn't have to be more expensive, the print has to be better. for one thing the style of this picture does not go with the style of your furnishings. It would be like me wearing a mini skirt, trust me, it would not look good. This print can probably go IKEA, but does not do anything for your furniture.
   May 1, 2013 at 8:37AM
sumeetinaz
Thanks Ann and Mary - I will have the electrician com ein this weekend to check the chandelier. Mary I got you on the art and rug. I know looking at them that they are too small but wanted them to work for my budget sake :) But I dont want to cheapen my dining table's look, so i will go looking today :)
2 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 10:04AM
Genevieve
less chairs for certain :) also consider painting the room ,if you are keeping the picture there then choose a colour from it to compliment the chairs , personally that picture is too modern for the style of furniture that you have ,look for something different to hang on the wall .
1 Like   May 1, 2013 at 10:11AM
Angelina Vick
Ocean 2...I really think fits the colors you have. It has a traditional impressionist style that I also think fits the style you have but has a modern enough look that if you decide to rotate it to another room down the road it will be easy to find a new place to put it. You didn't show any straight on views of that wall, so these mockups are just to give you an idea of how the colors would look in your space.

The art can be printed on canvas, with a frame or rolled in a tube, canvas offers a modern look, yet the softness of textiles.
It can be printed on acrylic or metal, which gives it a more modern/contemporary look.
It can also be printed on paper with a full selection of mats and frames, or get it rolled in a tube and choose framing options elsewhere.
   May 1, 2013 at 10:37AM
Angelina Vick
How did the mirror experiment go? =)
   May 1, 2013 at 10:40AM
sumeetinaz
I think the vertical rectangular mirror looks better and goes better with style of the table - what do u all think?
1 Like   May 1, 2013 at 10:43AM
1 Like   May 1, 2013 at 10:52AM
Angelina Vick
I do like that mirror better...but I think it would look better horizontal instead of vertical, did you try it out and not like it?

Aww..Thanks Genevieve. =)

This is another one from that same day. http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/my-golden-tree-angelina-vick.html

What do you think of the art ideas sumeetinaz? Do you like them? What kind of art do you like? We can offer some suggestions...I'm familiar with a lot of artists work. =)
   May 1, 2013 at 11:00AM
Martha Woods
get you chandelier lowered and then hang the large vertical mirrow accordingly. I agree that the rug is too small.
   May 1, 2013 at 11:04AM
Martha Woods
Sorry but mirror needs to be used for height is why it should be vertical.
   May 1, 2013 at 11:05AM
pbrown58
Only four chairs around the table. A small buffet with either an art piece or mirror. A pattern textured rug underneath the table and the walls painted a bold color
   May 1, 2013 at 11:08AM
Angelina Vick
Yes, I can see it needs to be used for height...that is why I suggested bringing it up a bit. =)

I am not an ID...I'm an artist.

I think it hanging vertically doesn't look right...but that's just imho.
   May 1, 2013 at 11:09AM
pbrown58
A chair on either side of the buffet
   May 1, 2013 at 11:09AM
Martha Woods
OOps - no insult intended. Part of this sight is sharing and learning from a variety of people. I think the anonimity allows us to be more open.
   May 1, 2013 at 11:17AM
Speaking as a professional designer, nothing is used specifically for something, especially when speaking of accessories.. Something is used because it works; it happens to complete the composition, just like in a painting. It is all composition, dark-light, large-small, repetition etc etc. It is how we move the eye around, and do we find it pleasing. In design it is also how we transition from one space to another, so it is always important to keep in mind how one piece fits into the whole. And that is why this forum is so fun and interesting. If we went by a specific set of rules for everything there would be no need for interior design at all.

However, in the case of Martha's statement, she is suggestion that the mirror in this case would be more appropriately used for height, and I agree as I had said suggested the same earlier.

I enjoy hearing all your ideas, its does not matter if your are pro or not, you have valid viewpoints to be discussed. And, if it works for you then that is the objective in the end.
4 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 11:41AM
Angelina Vick
I am not insulted? =) No apology necessary...I was just explaining my opinion. And the fact that I am not a ID, only an artist offering opinions.
   May 1, 2013 at 12:12PM
Genevieve
Vertical gives height and horizontal width ,I think that they would work well side by side since the area is large enough to accommodate them , I also think that a grouping of several different sizes would also work well but only by using the same colour of frames ,if it was a beach scenery that you were looking for you could have that too in fact if you can you could even change the pictures according to the seasons .

An artist sees creativity in the most colourful way ,if it wasn't for them we would live in a rather dull world :)
4 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 12:25PM
I agree and designers are artists. Their canvas is a room and the medium is fabric, paint, pictures, accessories, windows, doors, etc.etc. It is still a composition, but it is one you can live in...pretty nice. And anyone communicating on these forums are executing their artistic/designer side... how sweet! and they are letting us join in...what fun! Better than a video game. Sort of a big family here of designer-artists of every level. Thanks for letting me wax poetic about it. The best to all of us.
4 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 2:29PM
wickedwhite
Hi sumeetinaz. I love Marie hebson's suggestions. That mirror is Wow! The credenza gorgeous, and the tone on tone fabric for the chair backs is genius. What do you think? Is it too bold for you? I can so imagine this look in your space.
   May 1, 2013 at 4:42PM
sumeetinaz
what do u think about this art piece? 36 by 48 inches
6 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 9:22PM
Angelina Vick
Beautiful and serene. What do you think?
   May 1, 2013 at 11:11PM
irishgirldesigns
Your room is looking more and more beautiful with each picture that you post. Your chandelier is a showstopper! I love the shape of the fixture and it looks wonderful hanging in your room. Gold finishes are making a comeback right now. I am in the midst of shopping for new plumbing fixtures as we remodel a bathroom and I have been amazed by the number of golden faucets, brushed and otherwise, that manufacturers are displaying in showrooms. I like all of the pieces in your dining room, but I wonder if the wood tones of the table, chairs and flooring might be out of sync with one another. Have you thought about varying materials? Fully upholstered chairs might show off both the beautiful wood table and also the wood floors. I love the shape of the chairs but in the pictures the darker tone of the table seems to be fighting with the medium tone of the chair frames. Also, if your table is round, you might try a large, round rug beneath the table. You are doing a great job and I'm looking forward to seeing how everything turns out. :)
   May 1, 2013 at 11:44PM
sumeetinaz
Hello my friends in design, here is what my room is shaping like - couple of updates - carpet is gone and a larger one is being procured. Check out the new mirror -its 3 ft in dia and the largest round gold mirror I could find in local stores. There is a new art piece for the left wall - gold with orangish red and teal accents. I have removed the oval table as it crowded the back area. Instead I have fit in the 5th chair. So send me your feedback on mirror and painting. I am planning to add a carpet and wrap up this project. Please keep your inputs comings. Oh BTW mirror is off for now as I didn't want to put in screws till had the mirror finalized between round and the rectangle one.
   May 3, 2013 at 9:20PM
sumeetinaz
hmmm looking at the pics I posted, does the painting blend with the wall?
   May 3, 2013 at 9:21PM
Ann
I don't think I'll be very helpful, but I prefer the rectangular mirror and I'm not crazy about that art. Are you able to return both if you decide against them?
1 Like   May 4, 2013 at 7:41AM
sumeetinaz
Hi Ann - yes I have the receipts and can return both.
1 Like   May 4, 2013 at 8:01AM
Ann
Oh OK. In that case, I think the art looks a little old fashioned, unlike the 36X48" tree picture you posted a couple days ago. That one is quite nice, but maybe a vertical orientation for the art isn't the best for the room. If you are thinking of art on the side wall (without any furniture under it), I think a quite large square or slightly horizontal piece would be nice. I'd take my time with that and wait until you find something you really love.
Regarding the round mirror, I think the size is fine but I just don't like it very much. I prefer your rectangular mirror.
But I'm not a decorator, so see what others think :)
   May 4, 2013 at 10:41AM
pattiegoode
Love your table & chairs! Visually they are heavy. Consider hanging the rug you have on the wall opposite your room entry instead of art. Then purchase a solid color rug or sisal in the size you need on the floor. The light fixture will be so much better when it's lowered. I think the round mirror is still too small to balance that table. I liked your rectangle better. I'm wondering if adding color to the walls will help your light to stand out more. Just a thought.
1 Like   May 4, 2013 at 11:37AM
pattiegoode
Went back & looked at your pix again. I love the small table the vase was on & hope it gets to live somewhere. I liked the first of your paintings best. Consider placing the two extra chairs at the arched openings (either side of the wall). And I would use the arched doorway as the "main entrance." IMHO
   May 4, 2013 at 11:42AM
sumeetinaz
thanks pattie - the small table has been reincarnated as a foyer table and the first painting has found its wall in formal living. I will fix the rectangle mirror and upload pics.
   May 4, 2013 at 11:45AM
Angelina Vick
Sumeetinaz...what did you think of the options I showed you?

Are you trying to going with a muted look?
   May 4, 2013 at 4:16PM
Sumeetetinas
1)I really like the table with the 5 chairs - perfect.

2) I would paint the back wall a color to anchor the table - a lighter or deeper version of the chairs probably

3) I like the new picture, but if on the back wall, I would not drop the chandelier in front of it, perhaps a small bit of it could break the picture plain when viewed standing.

4) I to do not care for the new mirror, but really liked the previous round one. I liked the previous round one because the round mirrors the roundness of the table. I liked the style of it as well.

5) Pattiegoode's idea of trying hanging the smaller rug and using a sisal rug is worth exploring

6) I think the extra chair(s) not at the table to be put elsewhere, as when they are in the corners or by the doors I think they crowd the space. An extra chair could be used at a desk when not in use.
1 Like   May 4, 2013 at 6:22PM
pitbulls
If you go with modern art I would make it a very subtle colored picture otherwise your competing with the elegant feel of the room.
2 Likes   May 4, 2013 at 6:30PM
sumeetinaz
Hi angelina - i like your suggestions especially the art pieces - I am not going for muted look. I want this area to be elegant, formal ( read traditional) but not fussy. Based on your inputs and pitbulls, I think I am going to hold off art for now - live in the dining room for few days and then decide. for now I will just put the mirror and wait - i will upload the pics in few - please do review and send feedback
   May 4, 2013 at 6:36PM
sumeetinaz
Thanks Mary. Did you care for the rectangular mirror at all? Also what wall color would you recommend - can you give me a reference color?
1 Like   May 4, 2013 at 6:37PM
Yes I agree with pitbulls that you want to stay compatible with the elegant feel of the room.
   May 4, 2013 at 6:38PM
sumeetinaz
Mary, if you notice in latest pics I have taken away the orange bowl and the candles and the little oval table. So at this point I am left with my table and 5 chairs. All I plan to do is put a rug and a mirror to tie this together. I don't take yours/other folks here suggestions as criticisms but as help. I am struggling to find my own style as evident in this thread and all help is welcome. So down to last 2 ques - a) rectangular or round mirror b) wall color suggestions - thanks for ur help all of you.
   May 4, 2013 at 6:58PM
Sumeetinaz, I would find the exact color of the chairs and then I would go a couple of shades deeper. That is a guess, get some samples and put them on the wall. The idea is that the chairs are light enough that they articulate well against the wall. Then your Chandelier will also stand out against the wall. Your mirror need s to be more in the wood of the table and a have a little more of a mass to the look to balance out the table against the wall. Horizontal mirror. Possibly have it made taller so as to reflect more of the chandelier.
1 Like   May 4, 2013 at 7:17PM
lionnessone
Your rug is too small, when you place all six chairs around the table there will not be enough room for all six chairs. Your rug should be about 12 inches from the wall. You need room so your chairs can move freely around the table without the legs of the chairs getting caught on the rug all legs of the chairs should be on the rug at all time. I notice you do not have windows in your dining room; you can hang wooden rectangle mirrors on one wall install them side by side and flushed to the wall to mimic windows and put up drapes. Get yourself wall scones and place them on either side of the drapes centered on the wall. Yes, lower your chandelier. You can add colour with drapes and rug. Install chair railings and or architectural molding, and wallpaper the top portion of the room. I searched Houzz and found some inspirational photos for you to see all the options there are for dining rooms. Post photos when your done!
[houzz=Contemporary Dining Room][houzz=Traditional New Construction]houzz=][houzz=Dream House Studios, Inc.][houzz=Feminine Dining Room 4]
2 Likes   May 4, 2013 at 7:21PM
Sandy G. ltd.
This line of feedback to you is so iteresting to read and watch the development of your diningroom . I would like to tell you my thoughts -

The difference in the stains in your table and chairs is ok! No problem and, in fact, interesting!

The back wall. I feel that you should use the rectangular mirror vertically. Lower the lovely chandelier to 24"-30" above the table so it is reflected completely in the mirror. This is so that it doubles it's impact and grouping the mirror/light together cleans up the lines on that wall. I hope you have the fixture on a dimmer since dining in a lower light situation is so much nicer than in bright light.

The side wall. Find a painted sideboard that has no legs or very short ones. You have 24 legs in the room already + a pedestal and that is plenty. Hang art above the sideboard and add a pair of buffet lamps with no more than 40w bulbs.. The sideboard below is only 18" deep x 66" long and should fit nicley. You want one that will be around the same length as your dining set is round. No conflict with your dining set since it is painted.

The extra chair can sit on the left side of the sideboard. A neat place for a monogrammed pillow! Keep the corners clear.

Find a round rug that your set fits on + 12" behind each chair. Do not skimp on this one! Something simple - maybe a decorative border, fringe - but not a big pattern since the rug is not your focus. Find an elegant, low, bowl for the center of your table - maybe something that relates to your chandelier?
3 Likes   May 4, 2013 at 9:10PM
sumeetinaz
all, thanks for your wonderful suggestions - keep them coming. Here is an update for today - I went to local home improvement store to find a paint for back wall and actually even a grasscloth wallpaper in deep shade of tealish blue. i got some samples but here is part of today's puzzle. The formal dining opens into formal room and the drapes there are green. the dining area is tucked in but does open to formal room. I am enclosing pics of formal living which is also work in progress. Let me know if painting the back wall would create too much color confusion in this area.
2 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 9:07PM
Sandy G. ltd.
This photo helps so much! Great look in your livingroom! The rug is beautiful and is important re: palate in your diningroom. Turkey red, navy [or black?], wheat? Look for a round DR rug that coordinates with it in some way.

Since the rooms are open to each other, they need to be linked in your design choices.

So, I assume the long wall in your diningroom is the one you would see from the LR? Any art installed in your DR should have some of these colors in it - even a touch will do.

How about mirroring a wall in your diningroom floor - ceiling? This would expand the space, bring light into it, and keep things simple. The wall facing your LR would be stunning mirrored. Because of the lowered[?] chandelier, the painting should be horizontal in orientation.
1 Like   May 6, 2013 at 5:25AM
Sandy G. ltd.
That is, the painting on the other un-mirrored wall, should e horizontal.
1 Like   May 6, 2013 at 6:04AM
Ann
I really like your living room rug!
   May 6, 2013 at 10:25AM
sumeetinaz
My friends in design, I have spent the last few days mulling over your suggestions. I agree that there has to be a unifying agent to tie the teal chairs, reddish brown table all together - and I think wall paint may be the easiest solution here. I tried various shades of deeper blues, even subtle grays and they are just shrinking the room and darkening it. Considering that this room has no direct windows and is tucked in, would it make sense to go with a complimentary paint color to tool - example golden beige and even orangish red ( that ties it with living room). But before I try anything (my trackrecord on picking atrocious paint colors is remarkable), I would like hear your suggestions, Thanks again
   May 11, 2013 at 5:32PM
sumeetinaz
   May 11, 2013 at 5:39PM
sumeetinaz
   May 11, 2013 at 5:41PM
bumblebee728
Sumeetinaz, are you still looking for an area rug? If so, find one with the colors you already have in the dining room that also doesn't clash with the adjoining rooms. If you're not going with a rug, then find your artwork. Then: pick a color from one of those pieces, if its too dark for the DR, then go one, two, or even three shades(depending on how dark the color is) lighter for your walls.
1 Like   May 11, 2013 at 7:42PM
Sandy G. ltd.
Why not paint the wall that faces the LR the same color as the LR? The end wall of the diningroom can be a different collor that is also in the LR. You do not have to introduce new colors on the walls. In fact, sometimes it is a smart idea to keep the background simple so that accessories are the ones on stage. Ex: chandeliers, rugs, artwork, upholstery, etc.
   May 11, 2013 at 8:28PM
achelous
All the solutions seem predictable. I would consider if room is used for everyday. If not I would wallpaper wall next to arches in some contemporary toile paper or artworks covering most of it, all chairs on opposite to arches and low flowers and large classic sculpture on table standing alone as a pedestal. Dramatic, yet usable if you need too. Here table has two chairs rest along walls
   May 11, 2013 at 8:52PM
sumeetinaz
Sandy, wall with mirror is the wall facing the LR - all walls are the same color in formal LR and DR
   May 11, 2013 at 8:53PM
sumeetinaz
Thanks achelous, the room will be rarely used, however table is large and will not leave enough room for chairs to rest against the wall - what do you recommend based on this nfo
   May 11, 2013 at 8:57PM
achelous
If room is not used daily try this set up (excuse my drawing). Take out rug and sit table on the wood, then try accents on table like these on this console
   May 11, 2013 at 10:10PM
Sandy G. ltd.
If I understand you correctly, when you are in the LR looking into the DR, you see the"end wall" of the DR, and you are not looking through the arches? If so, it seems that that end wall is the focal wall in your DR and that is the one that needs the pizazz.

You mentioned that most paint colors are making the DR seem dark. Im glad you have tried those deeper colors for yourself and can see the result. So, you want to think about a way to bring light and life to that wall and your DR. My #1 choice would be to mirror that wall. #2 choice would be to keep the wall the light color it is and hang a large mirror on it. You can hang art on the side wall opposite the arches. Maybe a series of prints would work, hung in a horizontal line. You need a rug in there to help define the table/chairs group.

On the other hand and thinking outside the box, you could repurpose the little-used space into something you will use. A den, library, reading room, etc. Replace the dining set with comfy chairs, rug, bookcases, desk, etc.
1 Like   May 12, 2013 at 8:28AM
sumeetinaz
All if you ever wondered how my dining ended up here are some pics - I have tried to incorporate some of the valuable suggestions provided in this forum - thanks a lot for your help along the way, I am not finished yet - still looking for the right center piece, feel free to send suggestions/feedback
1 Like   February 18, 2014 at 12:09PM
Sandy G. ltd.
-- Nicely done! I like how you pulled the colors from the LR rug into the DR artwork!.

The only suggestion would be to put a matching vase in the opposite corner. The ones that are there now are too small and really do not add anything to the setting. Pull the vases out from the corner too. Give them a little elbow room.
1 Like   Thanked by sumeetinaz    February 18, 2014 at 12:38PM
Ann
It does look nice! I like the 5 chairs around the table and the new mirror is a good size for the wall. I agree with Sandy about moving the candlesticks elsewhere, maybe to a mantel or hearth. Regarding the large vase in the dining room, it looks great and a second one to match for the other corner would be nice. But, even if just one, I'd remove the sticks. I think either no sticks at all or the sticks need to be twice as tall and three times more of them.
   Thanked by sumeetinaz    February 18, 2014 at 1:58PM
stuntchick
needs something unexpected. needs something architectural. nice but too plain. lacks pizazz. chandelier is too small and delicate. maybe a bombe chest under the mirror. mirror looks lonely . maybe a seies of long shelves where the painting is a put some plates or something of interest.. put some blue from the dining chairs in the living area.
   Thanked by sumeetinaz    February 19, 2014 at 7:46AM
sumeetinaz
thanks stuntchick - can u attach some pics for reference - I have tried bombe chest/console table before; unfortunately the room is not wide enough to support that and the table, but I agree it needs some pop/pizazz - so pics from you will be appreciated
   February 19, 2014 at 7:53AM
nmnana
Room is looking good. I'd lower the chandelier a bit, place a large horizontal rectangular mirror where your painting is with a console table/narrow buffet under it. Move the picture to the other wall. Since there is no natural light source, use the larger mirror to reflect the light from your living room. The round mirror appears to reflect the kitchen. By lowering the chandelier, it to will seem much brighter when it is reflected in the mirror.
   Thanked by sumeetinaz    February 19, 2014 at 8:19AM
sumeetinaz
ok after looking at 100s of pics today I think all of you are trying to tell me in a very subtle way that I need to blend things together - I think the dining table by itself is great but the greyish teal of chairs is not going with warm tones of wall color, the pic is great but doesn't pop and so on. So I am thinking of two things - need to add some gold and teal on wall that currently has pic ( I am scared of wall papers - so thinking of making fabric panels) and a rug to pull in the teal and orange together. What do you think?
   February 19, 2014 at 5:05PM
Cancork Floor Inc.
Thats it in a nutshell! A rug and "something" on the wall to give the "teal gray" a reason to be there and you are off to the races.
   Thanked by sumeetinaz    February 19, 2014 at 5:09PM
Sandy G. ltd.
-- Well, I have to say that I don't see much difference in this room compared to 10 months and over 100 comments from everyone. One might kindly ask - what else could we do to encourage you to go the next step/level?

I think the colors of the painting are nice with your LR but it is really too casual with your chandelier. A piece from an old master would be more in keeping with that.

Add the 6th chair to the table. Complete the set. Lower the chandelier and find a big round rug.

You said that you are afraid of wallpaper. Do you know exactly what intimidates you about wallpaper?

If you would like something really neat, you could put up brass colored wallpaper where your artwork is hanging. It would tie in with your chandelier and be smashing! If you want a room to be amazing, you must stretch yourself past perceived challenges.
   Thanked by sumeetinaz    February 19, 2014 at 5:20PM
Sandy G. ltd.
Some metallic papers. . .
   Thanked by sumeetinaz    February 19, 2014 at 6:00PM
sumeetinaz
Sandy thanks for the little nudge i think I needed it. Lets say I did go the wallpaper route would you recommend doing just one wall (where the painting hangs)?
   February 19, 2014 at 7:44PM
sumeetinaz
sorry sandy I reread your comments and you do recommend just one wall - i am going to give this a shot :)
   February 19, 2014 at 7:46PM
Sandy G. ltd.
-- Great! Just great! You will get a big bang out of the end wall [the one you see from the LR] getting some TLC. It will change the area a lot.

Any glitz or shine on that wall will bring that room alive for you.
   February 20, 2014 at 6:26AM
sumeetinaz
here is one of the wallpapers I am considering today - what do you think?
   March 10, 2014 at 6:21PM
Sandy G. ltd.
-- Very pretty! Very elegant to boot!
   Thanked by sumeetinaz    March 10, 2014 at 7:35PM
Should I or Should'nt I do it?
I have hardwood flooring in the majority of the first...
Trim color for gray house?
We are in the middle of painting the trim on our gray...
need help with bathroom fixture
have large wooden oval mirror, 27" wide (@widest point)-want...
Kitchen back splash help please!
I'm having a very hard time choosing a back splash-...
Need help arranging the tiles I've chosen.
I've chosen white, beveled, 4x8 subway tiles for my...