OLLD 4/29
April 29, 2013
Morning! Where is everyone? I can't believe no one has opened today's discussion yet! WAKE UP PEOPLE!!! hehehe
kimdee24
Good morning, Ms. Bobbi! I am awake. I was awake at 6am, god knows why -- silly dreams I guess. Know what today is? It's DRAPERY DAY! They're coming at 10 to install, I can hardly wait!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:43AM
Jayme H.
Thank goodness u started this up Bobbi! I have been lurking since 0700!!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:52AM
Jayme H.
@kimdee..what happened with your house and the wind, etc..damage?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:53AM
kimdee24
@Jayme -- I've been lurking too! As far as I can see, I lost the two pieces of fascia on the back of the house. I haven't been able to go out and have a better look because it's been raining. Hopefully, that's all that's missing!
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:57AM
Kimdee! Woo Hoo! We have to see pics, you know :))

Jayme, anyone can start this! YOU can start this! Silly girl.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:58AM
Jayme H.
I'm usually on the wrong day...so I didn't dare! LOL
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:00AM
Pkk
Morning ladies!! Up bright and early shopping online for light fixtures!! Boy, the remodeling bug has bitten me bad!! Hubs thinks I'm nuts, talking to myself, pulling the tape measure out every 2 minutes and checking a size! Lol. I know that I need to make very thought out changes, because he is not an "updating" kind of guy, so ill only get one shot to make my changes!! What did people do before the Internet?
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:01AM
Jayme, good point. hehehe

Pkk, Yours is the hubby that hasn't moved furniture since the 80's, right? How is he handling all these changes? And is it hard to find 80's stuff on-line? hehehe

Oooooh, I'm in a mood!
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:07AM
kimdee24
I'll put up pics as soon as they are done!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:09AM
Jayme H.
Funny how I always have energy for this, but not painting my bathroom cabinetry!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:11AM
Pkk
Yes! And to clarify he GREW up in a house that hasn't changed since the 80's......I'm a seasonal "changer". We have been married 20+ alot of years now, so hes grown accustomed to my tweaks!! But have exhausted all my options of my current stuff and am ready for a total overhaul /update!! I've got to work with a lot of oafish looking stuff, but am going to try real hard to get the joint looking a little more current and polished!! Hopefully with a lot of help from my houzz friends!
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:13AM
kimdee24
Oh Jayme -- I'm always looking for a project these days. I think i create projects just to keep myself occupied. I wish I had something that needed painting!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:15AM
armygirl1987
Morning ladies, I was lurking too but wasn't sure what the protocols were. So bobbi maybe you can put that out for newbie like me asI am always up early.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:24AM
Pkk
@olldbobbi-----that's what I need you guys to help with......"step away from that" is a phrase I'm looking for!! Lol
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:24AM
armygirl1987
At the VA doing paperwork for my internship. @kimdee never got to reply about military but yes to that.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:26AM
ANYBODY can start the new day, just try to keep it consistent like OLLD month/day so when we search we get it right and don't start a new thread. But really, anyone can do it. We don't stand (or sit) on protocol!!!
armygirl1987
@oldbobbi aren't you always in a mood. I also agree on finding new projects. As soon as I am done, I start yo think what next.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:28AM
armygirl1987
Sorry old military coming out.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:29AM
astraea
@kimdee - Did you have an official storm of some sort, or is it common for your area to get hit with such high winds? I never realized until I moved to the NJ shore, that this area is known for higher winds, than other parts of the state .. and our home insurance rates are higher!
kimdee24
@astraea -- I guess it was some kind of storm, but it was mostly wind. It never used to be this windy here, I don't know why that seems to be the case these days. But yes, we seem to get some high wind days, even in the summer when it's nice outside.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:38AM
Jayme H.
The weather is weird all over the country this year!! We have a lot of wind around here! Today is gorgeous...sunny and bright, hopefully will get into the 60's.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:43AM
kimdee24
It was raining when I got up. Now it's rain/snow mix. April showers bring May...June ?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:45AM
olldroo
Ooops, silly me put the wrong date in and wondered why there was hardly any chat here.

Hi, pkk are you new here? I'm very behind with what has been going on since last Wednesday. You are lucky you are getting to make changes after 20 years - I've waited 45 for mine and am loving every minute of it, particularly as BH is spending 2 months on your side of the Pacific and I can run amok. The internet is good for looking for ideas but I still prefer to go to the shops to check on quality and unfortunately, delivery costs are crazy here and killing internet shopping - bad enough having them delivered just from the shop down the road.

What are you in a mood about now Bobbi??? Very funny about finding 80s stuff online - I was on a dilemma this morning, a guy was moving into a new house and was wondering how to use rooms and said he would be back when he moves in asking if his lime green curtains went with the purple wall and hot pink shag carpet. Asked him where he was planning buying a hot pink shag carpet. Don't the 70s and 80s have a lot to answer for.

Kimdee, I wish I could be around in 30 years time to see if you still wish for painting to do. I so love it, but my knees have decided otherwise so I just have to stick to odd bits of furniture. DD has just given me an old bed that is part of a bunk bed I will use for when the grandjoeys are here but I want to sand it right back and give it a nice new coat of varnish. It is a ghastly dead dark brown colour too so I want to do something lighter, might even look at a bleached look colour.

I went shopping Saturday - have been keeping my eye out for a nice cushion for Miss 6 to compliment The Little Bloke's pirate cushion, but found a cute rag doll in all the colours of the bedroom and decided to buy that. Cushions I had been looking at were going to cost me $40 and the doll was $7, so I liked it even better.

I have sooooooooooo much to do, so right now I think I had better get some sleep and be fresh to seriously tackle things tomorrow

Y'all behave yourselves now.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:48AM
I have exactly 1 minute to write, but I just wanted to tell you that at 7 AM here, it was 70 F. Gimme snow!!!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:50AM
Jayme H.
We got married in Los Angeles in July! Hotter than H - E- double toothpicks!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:01AM
olldroo
Isn't it double hockeysticks??
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:05AM
No, Roo, I'm in a GOOD mood! hehehe
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:07AM
Has anyone heard from MP? I wonder if she got her rock made? I'm dieing to see it. Is that how you spell dieing?
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:08AM
olldroo
That was a quick clean. No it is "dying" unless you silly mob have changed any rules.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:11AM
Ok, thanks. No, not done yet, just taking a break!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:14AM
mpoulsom
weird...i just got on mama!
what a WET weekend! I'm waterlogged I think!
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:14AM
Pkk
@olldroo. Yes I am a total houzz newbie...just discovered this whole world here....had never heard of houzz before about three weeks ago.......have spent countless hours lurking and dreaming about my humble abode and updating it! Wow. What a ton of great ideas! I wish I had a larger bank account a bulldozer and a magic wand to have it done before I get home, but am just a humble teeny tiny homeowner with 8' ceilings , two jobs, one kid in college and another going this fall..........yikes. So good and classic choices are very important!
olldroo
Bobbi, you are worse than me!!!

Hi, mp, your weather sounds bad. Rain is nice but why does it have to overdo it all the time.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:15AM
mpoulsom
Get this...started looking around at the rocks we already have around some of the beds and low and behold...I had a few that would work! So me and J got out in the pouring rain and rolled those suckers to the fence area behind the deck. Picked up a few plants from church and put them back there as well...transplanted some cannas and elephant ears, already looks fab! Now to add some mulch.
Also picked up stain for the fence and the deck....check!
(can't stain til it dries out a bit though)
You guys would have laughed if you'd seen me. I had my christmas pj pants on, my hooded rain jacket thingy, and my rubber boots (black and white with skulls all over them!) I was FESTIVE!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:19AM
Jayme H.
As long as no one starts lamenting that the weird weather is signaling the end of the world please! LOL
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:22AM
mpoulsom
oh yea...did get mortar to make the rocks though.....Think we'll just use that to finish the fireplace outback. I might still have one big rock though. If I do, I'll be sure to show you guys.

Watched the hobbit last night....I can't look at some of those creatures on there. They are so disgusting.
mpoulsom
soooo, what went on this weekend while I was away? everybody okie?

hey roo! been missing you! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:24AM
olldroo
pkk, I was sent this website as a joke when I first started planning my renovations 2 years ago. Now of course I am addicted, especially since joining up with this mob here. I only have 8' ceilings except for my very 60s sunken loungeroom, but 8' is the norm here in modern homes, such a blessing for painting and changing light bulbs and really anything else is a waste of resources, not to mention the extra cost of heating and cooling.

The trick with using this site is not to drool over things at face value, but take the ideas, layouts and colours of furniture, furnishings and rooms and tailor it to your room and budget. Keep your furniture plain and simple and you can achieve so much with little accessories. Get it right and no one will even think twice about how much you paid or didn't pay for things. From this site also you do learn how to make the simplest accessories look a million dollars, it is just placement and proportion and colour "pops". Try to think outside the square but always stay true to you and do what you really love regardless of trends, make your rooms ones you just love to walk into, not ones to have other people oohing and aahing - they probably will anyway when they feel your love and enthusiasm.
6 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:29AM
olldroo
mp, been minding the grands - school holidays here, but they mostly go back tomorrow. Officially school started back today but it was a teacher enrichment day or better still for the kids, a student free day.

I can't believe you were actually going to MAKE a rock??? Do you ever give up???
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:34AM
olldroo
Hey, mp, here is a plant for your garden
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:39AM
mpoulsom
no roo, i will not give up!!!! hahaha!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:41AM
mpoulsom
Roo, I bet your tired! watching the grands takes a lot out of most people. Just Boo alone wears me out.
I found the cutest tutu dress to add to her collection and a minnie mouse polka dot dress that I'm dying to buy for her. Even comes with the mouse ears headband! She loves minnie!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:46AM
mpoulsom
Made a huge mistake yesterday afternoon....had to go by petsmart to buy plants for the aquarium. Went next door to Marshall's that opened here recently. I only found a MILLION things I wanted! Now I know why I do not go shopping. Killed me. I wanted it all. :( Found 2 end tables that I am dying to have. A bench for a dining room that I do not have (my dining room is the art room)...plant stands, a mirror that I have no place to put anywhere, .....I need to decorate someone else's house or buy another one and start over! sheesh!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:50AM
Pkk
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!! I think that's kind of funny how you said that roo........because the first week or so I really got a serious case of the " keeping up with the jone's"............ Every thing I liked was "custom" this, "custom" that, see an architect, and other suggestions that this country mouse can't afford. But rinke was kind enough to take the time and 7654567 emails back and forth to help me get focused and see that I can make updates and tweak things for a better look! See my first post...if anyone needs a reference point..... Or a good laugh! My drawings are really rough, but I needed to get the big vision of where I want to head.......now where I end up might be different, but at least I feel strong enough to make a decision.....I've had my painter "on call" for at least two years now and just couldn't even make a paint choice!! Saw him this weekend and am getting closer to making a choice! Seems goofy to be so scared about making these decisions!! LoL. Just hate wasting time, money and energy and still be unhappy.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:54AM
pattyag
Hi.. hope you all had a good weekend!

I am thinking about painting the brass on my wood stove... Wish I could just take the darn thing out, I loved the look of it before we installed it, but the heat just went up and out and it didn't warm the room very well..

Anyway... Can that be done?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:05AM
mpoulsom
smarter & ollder houzz........loft pics!! (love the windows up there!) :)
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:07AM
mpoulsom
roo, the dress is very similar, but it's pink! which she is all about some pink! i think I HAVE to get it! the tutu dress was much cuter, and elegant looking even, but she has so many! Maybe I'll get it and keep it at my house.

patty, they make high heat appliance paint.....you may want to check that out.

pkk....i don't have funds to do things either, but i do it myself or make it myself. hence the fact that I am willing to make fake rocks out of mortar. lol
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:12AM
Pkk
Mpoulsom....have you looked into the fake plastic rocks?? Home Depot carries in many different sizes....we purchased one to cover our septic tank cover....it needed to be easily accessible when the pumper guy comes....first time he was faked out totally!! I know it's the things designers hate ,plastic and fake, but at $20.00 it has held up well!!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:15AM
olldroo
pkk, really use your ideasbook. Any photo you see that interests you in any way, put it in, you can go through and edit later to rearrange them or delete. I also started a separate book for each room to keep things contained, but it really helped, especially when I couldn't get fabric colours I wanted and I am actually happier with the colours I ended up with.

When it comes to paint colours, it is not just about creating a colour scheme that you like it is also about creating one the room likes, the wrong colours can make a room look like a cave or just too hot or cold and unwelcoming. Do follow your heart and use what makes you happy. If you are unsure about any colour get some sample pots and slap a couple of coats on the wall and leave it a few days so you see it in all different lights, get used to it till you either love it or hate it. Hating a colour is just as good if not better than loving one, from one colour you can get a whole range of colours and shades you know you can delete.

mp, I can so relate to your shopping experience. I did quite a bit of shopping with DD the last few days and saw so many things that I was constantly asking where could I put it. I was quite pleased with myself, I think I have started to move on, maybe it has been all the constant thinking and planning and the brain overload that went with it, that now has me quite happy to say I'm finished, don't need it, move on. Maybe all the throwing out I've been doing has helped too, I'm really enjoying keeping things minimal.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:20AM
olldroo
mp, wouldn't get too enthusiastic about those windows or you will be volunteered for the cleaning. I really can't see the point of them unless you have the finances to regularly have cleaners come.

Miss 6 lived in that dress for ages after Halloween, she wore it shopping, everywhere and insisted on the ears each time. She was always a kid for hats and head bands so it was easy to dress her up.

I wondered about the fake rocks and if you could get them. I think they would be a great idea, once you put some plants around them the fake wouldn't be that noticeable.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:25AM
mpoulsom
oh for sure they would look real....especially after I got a hold of them...if they looked fake at all, i would do a realistic faux finish on them for sure. I just really don't think I need much more. The area is maybe about a 5 feet border or maybe a little more from the deck to the fence. Hauled 5 large rocks over there and between those and the plants and there was already some periwinkle ground cover in that area....so I think I'm good.
Now kind of concentrating on the open corner between the fences....talked about a water feature there? Not so sure about that. Sounds peaceful, but then again sounds like a pain in my you know what.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:46AM
mpoulsom
roo, it's supposed to be the "Smart" houzz! i was hoping the windows cleaned themselves!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:48AM
kimdee24
Drapes! My pictures don't do them justice AT ALL, and I have to tie the bottoms up for a week or so, so they hang straight, but here they are!
6 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 11:51AM
Well you all have been a talkative bunch whilst I labor away at cleaning house!

MP, I'm disappointed to hear you didn't make your rock :(( R and I were talking about doing the same thing, thanks to your inspiration. We thought we could make the top concave and turn it into a birdbath. We might still do it, we'll see.

Let us not talk about shopping until we hit Lotto, ok?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 11:53AM
Pretty drapes!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 11:54AM
pattyag
I think you should paint the walls a silver grey color, and a new coffee table would be nice as well...
LoL... Just kidding (I couldn't help myself)...
It's really a beautiful room... I love your colors and the drapes are beautiful... Your new picture goes so good with everything you have... Awesome!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 12:10PM
kimdee24
Reverse Pewter, perhaps? LOL! My designer is doing a great job. She gets all the credit :) I get the invoice!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 12:12PM
astraea
Got one for Roo; basic guidelines for renovating. I sure don't have that view out my window .. scroll down: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/450983/3-Things-to-Expect-During-the-Remodeling.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 12:13PM
armygirl1987
Nice kimdee24
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 12:16PM
pattyag
Gotta love it astrea! I just have deer...
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 12:17PM
pattyag
Love those pillows kindee... I was thinking about making some out of a fur coat that was my mother-in-laws...
I will never wear it... Thought I may as well do something with it..
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 12:19PM
kimdee24
I love them too. It's hard not to lay on the couch and "pet" them!
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 12:37PM
armygirl1987
So kimdee did you use the turquoise throughout the house.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 12:38PM
mp, you never, ever walk away from Marshall's or Home Goods leaving something behind you love. You can always return it! But, when it's gone, it's gone.

kimdee24, the window treatments look wonderful. The first picture, is the pattern a damask? I can't really see it well. I have brown in my bedroom and I love it. So cozy.

I just got a new client. The house is 400 miles away from me. Going to try to do it with pix. We'll see. Probably be asking you all for your opinions. What's new with that.
5 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 12:44PM
I wish we had a Home Goods here! We have Marshall's and Ross and that's it.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 12:46PM
kimdee24
judyg -- Is this damask? I'm not sure... the color is off on this photo too, the background is more like a gun metal grey with lighter grey pattern. The other pic is more accurate. @angela -- yes, teal/turquoise is my accent color throughout.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 12:55PM
bobbi, Home Goods is great and the wealthier the surrounding towns, the better the choices.

Lamps, one the better departments, has some of what we see here for a fraction of the price. Somewhere on houzz there is a picture with the lamps I purchased at Home Goods. I want to show it to you, if I can find it.

I did.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 12:56PM
Jayme H.
Your place is lovely Kimdee!! Congrats!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 1:01PM
kimdee24
Thanks, Jayme! It's amazing to me how much difference the drapes made, especially in the dining area. Things are really coming together! And you know, I didn't spend that much either... I got the blinds for up and downstairs and the drapes for upstairs for the same price (actually less!) as I paid for the all wood venetians in my last house (which I got at cost through a friend). I thought the blinds alone would put me over what I'd budgeted, the windows are seriously tall in this house. So I did good!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 1:06PM
Kimdee, I'd call it a damask pattern. It is really striking.

1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 1:08PM
mpoulsom
hey judy tudy! where in the world is the client that is 400 miles away? That's wild....and will be interesting I'm sure! It will be like being on houzz and trying to explain to people what to do sort of! yowza!
And yes I know about the not buying the things I love at the store....it's still eating away at me today. :(
But trying to pay off credit cards right now yo! I hate it, trust me.

I'm so relieved to see the sun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob....you and R can do the rock thing easy schmeazy! I'm sure I'll end up having to make one at least. No worries. ;)

Kimdee, I love your bed! Very pretty!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 1:19PM
kimdee24
I love Home Goods. It's called HomeSense here, but it's the same store. The southside store is the best, I'm told because it gets all the new stuff first before it is distributed to the other store. Have to go a lot though, and if you like it, buy it because it will be gone the next time you're there. But they're good about returns too.

@mpoulsom -- thanks! (and thanks for not telling me I "make it weird"... lol)
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 1:21PM
mpoulsom
it's perfecto!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 1:36PM
mp, I totally forgot about your budget. Good girl…

Where is Astraea? She will love this one. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/459185/Please-Help-with-my-backyard-
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 1:50PM
Judy! That lamp is pretty and HUGE. It would take up my entire bedroom! Actually, that whole room is pretty, isn't it. I love white!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 1:53PM
No Home Goods or Home Sense here. Actually, yes, but it's called Cow Goods and Horse Sense :((
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 1:53PM
Jayme H.
Isn't this cute (and completely off topic!)
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:01PM
Cute! But the one in the middle needs a green bow or something. The one in the far back looks a bit like me, prom night.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:06PM
astraea
Pattyag – I had a couple of old furs made into teddy bears, for the 3 littlest ones in the family at the time. I used www.LikeaDoll.com, but looking at their website now, I don’t see the information about fur bears.

Judyg – That looks like the bushes are gobbling up the house! I stay away from garden dilemmas, because I’m not a gardener.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:06PM
armygirl1987
You guys have been on a roll all day. Sometimes I wonder why I want to work at the VA one of the biggest stickler in following rules. I had to go to hundred different office only to be told that I had already done this before even though when I walked in I kindly told them that I had already done my fingerprint. To think that for twenty years I had follow and told my soldiers to do the same.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:26PM
kimdee24
I just noticed the empty picture frames in my bedroom photo. That's depressing, huh. Better find something to fill them asap!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:29PM
Jayme H.
@Bobbi..I'm the one on the left then..prom night! Big hair!!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:33PM
Ha! 80's girl, 80's girl!

Kimdee, you shouldn't have said anything! I guess no one noticed they're empty!

Astraea, I'm not a gardner either. Can't do the carpenter bees. R sprayed the honeysuckle yesterday so I'm hoping they'll find someone else to torture!

Angela, what rank did you reach? Were you a major like our buddy Jack Reacher?
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:36PM
kimdee24
Maybe I can photoshop myself in with Jack Reacher?
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:40PM
Jayme H.
@Bobbi..Ha ha!! I was an 80's, 90,'s 2000's...and now a 2010's girl!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:41PM
armygirl1987
I was a Sergeant first Class, he was an Officer, I was Enlisted. I don't want Jack Reacher, I just want Tom Cruise after Shemar Moore though.
KImdee, it depends.....can you find a better Reacher than Tom Cruise????

Jayme, as long as you keep up with the trends!
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:42PM
Angela, you had a staff? I don't know much about the military, just what Jack Reacher has taught me. Sad but true. What interested you in joining? And staying in so long? Just being curious, never nosy!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:43PM
armygirl1987
I immigrated from Jamaica and far from the truth didn't know about financial aid and college at that time seemed so far away. So I did not want to work fast food so I was like, I can be Rambo. I always wanted to travel and thought what the heck. My mom was strict and I was told since I was 18 did not need her to sign for me anymore, so I went to see the recruiter. As far as why so long, it was working for me so three became six and before I knew it all that time had passed.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:44PM
pattyag
That's a cool idea astraea... Only my grandaughter is a bit old for teddy bears... Guess I could wait for my youngest to have kids... I could always turn the pillows into teddy bears..

LoL I noticed kimdee's picture frames, I just thought there was some pictures in there she didn't want us to see...
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:46PM
Rambo! That's a good one! I love it. Carrying a gun is better than flipper a burger! I guess that's true enough, isn't it!
pattyag, I'm sorry but you are never too old for teddy bears :)) I still have mine from when I was seven years old! So, let's see, that's makes my teddy bear.....10 years old! hehehe
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:47PM
kimdee24
@bobbi -- I'll just find a stock photo of a guy who looks like the picture of Jack in my mind!
@pattyag -- there were photos there that *I* don't want to see. Mhm.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:48PM
Jack Reacher in my mind looks like Hugh Jackman :))
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:49PM
armygirl1987
Yes flipping burger was never for me, remember my first job at Dunkin Donut like it was yesterday. Was way too smart for that but I was always a go getter let my mom tell it. She told me at my birthday party that I had been going to school since I was two and after this Masters this should be it. I was like can't I go for my PHD. But mom know best after this this is it for me though.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:50PM
armygirl1987
Don't forget Shemar
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:51PM
pattyag
Just take some pictures of that cute little dog you have.. My husband had me put a picture of our first dog on a plate holder in our bedroom...
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:51PM
astraea
You know the man-woman jokes, where the punch line to each is, "And that's when the fight started"? Well, I've never been a fan of Tom Cruise .. I much prefer Hugh Jackman!!
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:51PM
Oh.....Shemar......he's so, um, perfect! I would feel self-conscious around him. But never, ever, ever in my widlest dreams, my most vivid imagination, would I picture Tom Cruise for one minute as Jack Reacher.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:53PM
Astraea, yes! He's a hubba!
pattyag
Well, I guess I can see the young ones in the group... I am a Mark Harman fan... LoL
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:55PM
kimdee24
I think I've said this before, but Jack Reacher in my mind *sounds* like John Reese (Jim Caviezel) from Person of Interest. And sort of looks like him too, but bigger.

Tom Cruise is NOT Jack Reacher. Never. Ever. EVER.
astraea
Hugh Jackman is uber-talented .. and not weird!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:55PM
astraea
pattyag - I like Mark Harman too .. looks great with gray hair, and I think he's aging better than some others! Like Shemar too from "Criminal Minds" .. never realized he was a model. Wow .. Hugh Jackman's only a year older than him .. 44.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:56PM
Mark Harman....Mark Harman.....???? The name is familiar but I'm having trouble placing it. Did he play an astronaut in Moonlighting?
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:56PM
Who said Hugh Jackman was weird? I don't think so!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:57PM
armygirl1987
I am some where in the middle, huge fan of Wolverine, love Person of Interest, watching it now while I am on here. and Mark Harmon will up next have about 5 espisode of NCIS.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:57PM
Robin W
Oh wow! Y'all have been busy while I was sleeping off my night shift hangover!

Love the curtains Kimdee!
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 2:59PM
astraea
Bobbi - Mark Harmon plays Gibbs in NCIS .. aged 61. Son of Heisman Trophy winner Tom Harmon. One sister is the former wife of Ricky Nelson, and the other was married to John DeLorean.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:00PM
astraea
Bobbi - I meant that Hugh Jackman isn't weird like Tom Cruise.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:01PM
pattyag
I really like NCIS, but having to watch re-runs all the time is growing old... Hubby also likes it.. And when there is nothing else on.................... Gets old...........
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:02PM
kimdee24
Bobbi -- 44 people who would have been better as Jack Reacher (both of our picks are on the list!): http://www.imdb.com/list/3NUbdoYQjXs/
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:03PM
pattyag
Mark Harmon was a football player too... UCLA?... USC?... Could have gone pro... Sure glad he didn't
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:04PM
armygirl1987
Damn Kimdee all those people now I have to go watch the movie to see what the talk is all about.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:06PM
armygirl1987
Pattyag, I am behind this season so I still have to catch up this season. I am making some chicken for dinner how about you guys.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:07PM
Kimdee, let's see......Russell Crowe, Ben Affleck, Liam Neeson....no Brad Pitt - NEVER Can't stand him!
Mathew Modine! Love him! He's was wonderful in 'And The Band Played On' and 'Pacific Heights'
Mickey Rourke? Seriously? Doubtful! As bad as Tim Curry!
Ashton Kucher? No way

I don't know the rest of them! Never heard of them!

Astraea, I had no idea!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:11PM
Angela, we're having chicken, too, hubby bbq'd it and some pork steaks yesterday. Yay! I don't have to cook!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:11PM
pattyag
Yeah, I miss it because it's on the same time as the Voice... Hubby records it for me...
Chili here... With corn bread...
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:12PM
Has everyone seen the movie And The Band Played On? Astraea, I know you said you have. One of my favorite all time movies. If you can get thru the Elton John song at the end without tears you are NOT human.
Actually, when you think about it, Betty White would make a better Jack Reacher than Tom Cruise.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:14PM
pattyag
I agree... Brad Pitt... but then that's just my opinion... :-)
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:14PM
mpoulsom
The Voice! love love love!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:15PM
Jayme H.
I think Eddie Ciprian is pretty hot...but I also wonder if he's not a cad too..
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:17PM
kimdee24
@Angela -- don't watch the movie. Read the books instead.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:17PM
I guess I don't watch that much tv, I've never seen The Voice or NCIS. Do you all like The First 48? Does anyone watch Project Runway?
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:18PM
pattyag
I love it too... The talent that is out there is just incredible...
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:19PM
The new Jack Reacher books comes out in paperback in about four weeks. Woo Hoo! It better be good, we've waited long enough.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:21PM
pattyag
I have watched Project Runway... Mad Men! If you want some idea's on Mid-Century Modern, that's the show to watch... It's kind of cool to see that stuff all put together so well...
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:23PM
armygirl1987
Love the Voice, the first 48 except that I recognize all the places that they put on Miami, that was where they had me doing my internship this past semester.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:24PM
pattyag
Katie has the cast on her show today... I have a TV in my office...
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:25PM
armygirl1987
I have been wanting to watch Mad Men but it is an up[grade on my cable, there are priorities and cable is not one of them. Especially since I am grandfather in an old plan and any changes my rate double.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:25PM
I just heard the Jets released Tim Tebow. I hope he knows how lucky he is! What a cranky team. Tim Tebow has talent, he doesn't belong there anyway.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:27PM
kimdee24
I love "Mad Men!" But then I'm in the industry so it's extra appealing to me.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:30PM
pattyag
bobbi... are you a football fan?..... Tim Tebow does have talent... He needs to be a backup to someone like Matt Hasselback (sp)... Don't think he (Matt) has much time left in the game, but he is an excellent teacher.. Just like Jim Zorn...
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:31PM
kimdee, I wonder....if they decide to make another Jack Reacher movie, will they make the same mistake again, or will they get wise and cast a new player?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:32PM
pattyag
kindee... are you an actor?
armygirl1987
Sorry girls hate football
pattyag! I am a HUGE football fan! I live, eat and breathe it and count down the days til preseason opening game. Are you? Which team do you follow? Tim Tebow would be great for the Dolphins, God knows they need somebody good. And Tebow colleged in Florida, he's be right at home!
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:33PM
pattyag
That's OK Angela... I won't hold it against you...
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:34PM
It's ok Angela, it's not for everbody. I hate basketball! But I played in H.S. Baseball is good, in person, but not on tv.
pattyag
Seahawks!...
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:35PM
armygirl1987
I have gotten wary with all sports too much and no loyalty.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:35PM
armygirl1987
Thanks oldbobbi but I am sure Dolphins would love him here
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:36PM
pattyag
Yeah... We love it here... The only reason I can wait for football season is because I want some summer!
kimdee24
@pattyag -- no! I'm in advertising/marketing!
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:38PM
Uh, oh.....Seahawks hate the Niners!

Did you see Aaron Rogers new contract? GUARANTEED 40 million? So if in the first game he gets a career ending injury, he still gets 40 million. I'll tell you what. For 40 million they can knock me all over that gridiron, I would not care.

Judyg's hubby was pro - played for the Pats.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:40PM
kimdee24
I watch hockey (of course). And baseball (Yankees - yeah I know, don't kill me -- and BlueJays). I hate basketball. I will watch football but only the Superbowl and the Grey Cup.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:40PM
pattyag
bobbi... Who do you follow?
Well geez kimdee... no wonder you are so creative...
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:41PM
armygirl1987
I also love soccer and huge track and field fan.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:43PM
Pattyag, I am a 49er faithful, have been f-o-r-e-v-e-r. No Raiders for this girl. Blech.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:44PM
pattyag
I don't hate the Niners!... I think Joe Montana was one of the all time best QB's...
But I do like it when the Seahawks win!
Joe was good, Steve Young was better. At least he had better numbers. And he was a pretty funny guy.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:45PM
pattyag
Now, I am def. a Raider Hater!... When the Hawks were in the AFC, they were the dirtiest player you could ever see..
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:46PM
armygirl1987
Of the topic, I have always have a problem packing light so here I go trying to pack for a five day trip..
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:47PM
pattyag
Angela.. my son is a big soccer fan... Sounders changed a lot or lost players, and aren't as good as they used to be...
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:47PM
armygirl1987
Gonna get on the books kimdee will see if I can add it to my trusted kindle.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:49PM
pattyag
Flying or driving? If you are flying, you might be better off just to buy what you need to where you are going then have it mailed home... I can't believe the charges they have added to flying...
armygirl1987
I had such high hopes when the brought it to the US but it never held up so I try to watch it as much as I can.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:50PM
armygirl1987
I am flying to Portland tomorrow and return Saturday evening
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:50PM
pattyag
Back to work.. Have fun ladies...
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:51PM
armygirl1987
kimdee24, there is over sixteen books.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:54PM
pattyag
Portland, Oregon? Not too far from me... Too far for a drive tho... Even tho it's the only way for me to get there unless I take a boat...
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:55PM
armygirl1987
Ok, Pattyag, I am hoping that I can make a drive to Seattle.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:59PM
kimdee24
@Angela -- Yes. Read them in order of how they were written. http://www.leechild.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Bibliography1.pdf
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 4:02PM
kimdee24
Haha! I just retrieved my second piece of fascia. It finally blew off my neighbour's deck, over the house and into the front yard. (wind's up again and it's snowing/raining). 'Course, it's bent all to hell now.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 4:06PM
armygirl1987
You are the best kimdee that is what I was looking for. My other favorite author is Kay Scarpetta.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 4:07PM
kimdee24
I am not reading another Kay Scarpetta novel. Not after the last new one. I'm over her!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 4:08PM
I also like Jonathan Kellerman - the Alex Deleware series? Do you all read them? And Nelson DeMille, great author.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 4:09PM
pattyag
Look at this piano I found... The guy said he won't hold it for me, but if he still has it Saturday he will let me know...
The legs and panel is all I really want off of it...
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 4:12PM
armygirl1987
What it is horrible, I am behind on the last two because of school, so it sucks
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 4:12PM
Cool! How much is he asking?
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 4:12PM
pattyag
It's Free!...
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 4:29PM
Dang! You can't beat the price! Totally worth it!
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 4:32PM
kimdee24
I just got a request from my builder to allow a couple of potential homeowners to come and see my house one night this week. They want to see the floor plan and they don't have any showhomes ready. So I gotta hustle around and tidy things up!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 4:33PM
Question - does anyone know where to get CHEAP large chicken wire topiary forms, like animals? I want to get a bunch and paper mache' them for my backyard, since I can't actually grow anything back there.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 4:33PM
armygirl1987
Try Home Depot
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 4:50PM
kimdee24
Michaels?
I've never seen one at Home Depot, but I'll check online and Michaels online too. Thanks!
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 4:52PM
armygirl1987
Guess I should have asked is that like the wire that they put around vegetable garden.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 5:00PM
mpoulsom

here ya go bob! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 5:31PM
Robin W
Sorry. Fell asleep on the couch.

Love the James Patterson 'Murder Club' as well as the Alex Cross series. Also Eve Duncan series by Iris Johansen.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 5:37PM
armygirl1987
Hope it was a good nap, finish dinner and I am going to try to pack now.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 5:42PM
armygirl1987
Kimdee24, The first Jack Reacher is available in Kindle
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 5:47PM
Not Mark Harmon, it was his Dad, Tom, who was the pro football player. He won the Heisman trophy in 1940. My CP was the #1 draft pick in 1963. No 23 million dollars then. Players today get way too much for delivering way too little.

bobbi, e-mail me. When is the date of the wedding?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:00PM
armygirl1987
I have a stupid question and being the procrastinator that I am, kind of like some of the dilemmas on here. Had an apt that last more than expected so electrician did not come and will be here tomorrow. Should I measure the breakfast area and let him know where to put the light or should I have him do it.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:04PM
Ok
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:04PM
kimdee24
Ladies -- what do you think of this chandy?
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:14PM
I like it! For your dining room?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:18PM
kimdee24
Maybe! My designer showed it to me today.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:19PM
It's cool! I like it. I like things that are different, unexpected. Very suave'!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:24PM
armygirl1987
Is that your dining room
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:25PM
kimdee24
Oh God no, Angela! I wish! Mine is way up above, with my drape photos. I kind of like it too... I think... it kind of looks like a puffy little cloud, doesn't it?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:27PM
kimdee24
Hmm... I don't know! here's another image
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:39PM
Robin W
It's pretty!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:58PM
kimdee24
That's great, eztia! Sounds like you're making some progress, I'm happy for you!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:13PM
Good for you, EZ, I'm very happy to hear of all your accomplishments. I hope there's something he can do with the flagstone but in the meantime be careful not to bite your tongue going over the bumps!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:33PM
pattyag
Hi! Just up in my office for a smoke...

Sorry judyg... I didn't say Mark Harmon was a pro... He could have been..
UCLA offered him $40,000.00 to continue his education so he could play football...

Kimdee... like the light... But how would it look with you new picture? I am thinking good...

OK back down stairs to watch the Voice... Have fun!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:57PM
olldroo
Good grief what a lot of chatter today - unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) half of it is over my head, except for your approval of our fabulous Aussie Actors. What about Simon Baker? Something about him has my timeclock trying to reverse. Hate hearing about all your fabulous shops, wish we had half of them. I'm sure I would be totally dangerous in Pottery Barn.

Kimdee, your drapes are lovely, I don't think it is quite a true damask but near enough for me, I love that look. It has all come up looking like shades of aubergine on my screen. Your whole rooms look fantastic, love the dog too, but do particularly love that fireplace nook in your bedroom, what a great idea.

We have The Voice happening here at the moment too, our judges are Seal (God he is sexy), Joel Madden (cracks me up all the time, he is such an idiot), Delta Goodrem (who the gossips say is on with Seal) and Ricky Martin (such a genuinely decent sounding guy). Watch bits of it from time to time, but I get bored sitting through it night after night. I generally wait till the grand finale and just watch that.

Ez, I wonder if they can concrete in the gaps in the stone of your ramp. Sounds a fairly simple and inexpensive exercise. I can imagine the bumping though .......... definitely not comfortable.

Astraea, thanks for the link to my photo - I thanked them for using it. Heehee.

Just stopped for a late lunch, been sewing all morning, so must get back to it. Hooroo.
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 10:28PM
I just got notified of your post, what 10 hours ago?????
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 8:52AM
Geez! MP, thanks for the elephant, I just got notified of that one too!!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 8:55AM
astraea
Bobbi/Roo - I just got notice of that post (12 hours ago) slightly before noon .. 90 minutes ago!

Just came from a walk on what's rebuilt of the Spring Lake boardwalk .. about 1/2 a mile long from the south end. The boardwalk was 2 miles long, so they've only gotten 1/4 of the way in rebuilding it, and also haven't worked on all the paths from the boardwalk to the street, only a couple of main ones. Still, it's nice walking by the beach .. cold yet!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 10:24AM
kimdee24
Thanks, eztia! It really feels cozy now that it's pretty much done.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 2:01PM
olldroo
kimdee - what does "done" feel like?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 4:24PM
Robin W
I often wonder that too...
1 Like    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 4:27PM
kimdee24
I think... it feels like about five minutes before you decide there's something you want to change!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 4:39PM
olldroo
Oh, thank goodness - you really are normal!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 5:22PM
kimdee24
Mostly... ;)
    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 5:24PM
OLLD 2/9
Morning all!
Olld 6/12
So I'm the first to be awake today? Have been awake...
Judy M
OLLD 2/3/13
Guess I can make sure I get notices, if I start the...
astraea
OLLD 10/29
Good morning ladies! What's on everyone's agenda for...
OLLD 6/24
I'll start with an apology, in case someone's started...
astraea
Need ideas!
This is my "formal" living room. I would love some...
jodiezerega
Help! I inherited Granny's Living Room
I just moved into a new house with a bit of a monotone...
Jai Shannon
Ideas for paint colors and accent wall
Hello, I have attached pictures of my model home...
luvmalife
Need help with my awful Small Powder Room! It has an unusual problem.
My tiny Powder Room needs a remodel! These before...
Kelley
Help me decide on curtains?
I'm trying to decide on curtains for my living room....
Jeanine Coffman