Boring corridor
shelleybowleyApril 29, 2013
How can I jazz up this boring corridor?
Rocky Mountain Color & Design
With paint! You could use up to four colors or shades of colors and it would really make it pop. It's a narrow hallway, so I would do an art wall or black & white photos. It depends on what your color scheme is throughout the rest of the house.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:27AM
Belman Living LLC
With 2/3 shades of color and proper lighting. Use small ceiling lights that create a welcoming atmosphere. Decorate the walls with pictures and mirror.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:39AM
Jeannie Nguyen
You should put a little side table for keys, or a vase of flowers, and a nice mirror right above it!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:41AM
Purcell Quality, Inc.
A gallery wall would be great!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:46AM
Jordan Fagundes
If possible, I would try to implement more skylights. I was thinking of sconces previously but felt that they would be an abstraction to the corridor. I believe the addition of more skylights would create a grander space since the beautiful daylight would reflect off of the white walls. If this cannot be done, then I would suggest some sort of faux wooden rafters to be installed that would house some recessed lighting.
nFORMAL design
More skylights would definitely make the space more dramatic...if you can do it. Also, there are a myriad of functional changes. If you have interior walls that you can change without electrical/plumbing being moved, you can create built-in niches for all those things that people were mentioning before. I think this would be a perfect candidate for a eye-level "ribbon" niche that goes all the way down the hall. Make it tall enough for small books, etc.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:52AM
bdarrow
I like the idea of an oriental runner with a good gripper pad underneath going down the hallway.. I also think an artistic mobile hanging from the bottom of the skylight would be fun. Is the living room opening to the left? Opposite that is the place for a little table and a nice mirror. Frame 3 medium sized prints( from a set) to put up at eye level this side of the light. Keep the white woodwork and maybe the white walls, too.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:54AM
Linda Stewart_Ryder
I agree with selecting paint you love to define the space. Make the hallway your photo gallery with groupings of black or white framed "Black and White" or " patina" personal photos. If you want an art project, purchase number of varied or same size canvases from the art store and paint varied colors on each for a focal work. Switch out the light on the wall with an artistic sconce. If this is an entry hall add a glass wall shelf supported by cornices(or is it capital's) to use for interesting decor pieces, use it as a place to set your house keys.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:58AM
Brenda
I would like to see something like an antique or atistic quilt hung on the tall wall (with the light hitting it from the skylight). and maybe a very tiddy matched-frame photo wall above the heater. I love the floors and white walls -- kinda looks like a gallery space.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:58AM
Loribeth - Moments of Art
I would not do any huge artwork pieces, because there is not enough space to stand back and look at anything large. Large art needs space to breathe, and there isn't enough in this hall. I'd do a single row of 8x10 or even 14x16 pictures at eye level, gallery style along both sides of the hallway. Anything larger than 14x16 would be too large to take in the effect of the art.
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 10:03AM
pinesamy
Track. Lightning. And art work ( big pieces) or big pictures, like an art galerie. And a bench in natural material or my favorite cowhy
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 10:24AM
janmacaroni
Could hang a solar powered lantern in the skylight area. I just got one at Costco.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 10:40AM
Cms Manique
Here's an idea
5 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 10:42AM
Leya Matalas
Depending on what is on the other side of the wall. If there is light that floods the room behind it. You can have interior windows installed in the hall corridor wall that blocks the light. You can pick some old antique ones in a RE-Store.. frame them in the wall with sills. This solves a light issue with natural light where skylights or tunnel lights wont work. If you can open the wall to eliminate the corridor, even better,but not always an option.
I think a very wide strip/ slab of nice polished wood or natural wood mounted at chair rail height where walls get wear running down the length of one wall.. would be an architectural feature. Natural art. On the opposite wall black and white photographs in a black frames in a lined neatly grouping of 4 large or 6 smaller with white mats.
ANOTHER OPTION: Paint one wall a rich colour, Then add Large abstract art canvas that compliment each other - hang 2 or 3 depending how long the wall. You can paint these yourself.. with blocking colours- Google contemporary art and get some simple ideas. the other leave plain.
MURAL. Companies also are making some striking quality wall murals, now and can replicate any photo or historical etching you submit.> Anything that reflects the feeling of the decor in the rest of the space.. If you select a photographe with depth. such as a walk in a forest for example- you will loose the corridor effect and it will take on the depth created by the wall photo.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 10:58AM
carolins
I would do the left wall in black & white horizontal stripes (paint or wallpaper horizontally pasted on the wall) and do an art wall on the right. And paint the door at the end black.

Silk Stripe Black & White Wallpaper
Hanging Picture
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 11:10AM
Oriental Weavers
Try a full length runner! We offer custom sized rugs and runners with many patterns and colors to choose from. Check it out! http://www.owrugs.com/products-1/custom-sized-rugs.html
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 11:17AM
MODE Painting
Gallery Style... well placed album covers, framed (Urban Outfitters has great frames for this purpose)... and if you dont have interesting albums - just check out your local thrift shop (Im always on the hunt for vintage movie soundtracks) GOOD LUCK!
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 11:20AM
Leya Matalas
Heres how above could look~
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 11:26AM
shelleybowley
Leya absolutely love the idea of a mural of trees together with the black rail along the corridor. Do you think I could do this on one wall and add family photos in black frames on the other or would this become too busy?
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 11:42AM
flipfloppy
A wooden radiator cover painted in a strong colour with mirror above it ...add a runner of similar colour
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 11:46AM
Susan Ghandehari
Think intimate art, something to look at closely. And color, pattern, texture. If this is upstairs, connecting bedrooms? If not all rooms need privacy, how about opening one up to the hallway, maybe an office or playroom with a half-wall? You haven't said anything about the use of the space--any children? I love the idea above about the ribbon niche!
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 11:59AM
Photo Captures by Jeffery
Go with some nice artwork and/or photographs and some fun paints on the walls. Perhaps go half way up the wall with a nice paint color and save the upper half for the artwork and photography.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 12:03PM
It's a Beautiful World!
I agree with Leya, large scale, not too busy patterns, in lighter colors, would help expand the space visually, as opposed to a number of smaller pieces... Raisa
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 12:07PM
Stephanie Nickolson Design
Artwork spotlighted with lighting and interesting carpet runners for the floor. If budget allows, a neutral hemp or jute wall covering for the walls.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 1:07PM
Linda Stewart_Ryder
Shelleybowley...the black trees are wall decals you can find them @ etsy.com other styles are available...
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 1:22PM
Ed
I don't think it's boring at all. I find it very clean and simple :)

1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 1:40PM
Marie-Josée
Painting all your doors a different color can add a bold statement to your corridor and bring it to life ! My sister in law did this and it is stunning !
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 1:55PM
carolins
But then you'll need a cute little girl in a coordinating T-shirt and a black cat to tone things down again :-) I do love the idea though.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 1:56PM
lwestlake
Start with painting the hall, the white is to bland. A pop of colour will make a HUGE difference alone. Whatever you do DON'T paint all the doors different colours. I like Carolin's picture wall, it is well laid out & I'm a huge fan of black or brown/black frames with black & white pictures. I wouldn't however, recommend going with the black & white striped wall. We did it in our daughter's room. It looked amazing but it does something to your eyes, very hard to look at after a while.
    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 6:11AM
calikym
Large scale artwork. Nothing small. No gallery wall, IMHO
    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 6:16AM
collijay
Color, artwork, a nice runner or two, jazz up the plain walls with board and batten or bead board wainscot.
    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 6:24AM
Fresh Paint
Family photos in the same color frames are nice in hallways also tone on tone painted stripes work to add depth and interest. Mixing different paint sheen's in the same color is a good choice also
    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 7:06AM
bella_djordjevski
    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 7:11AM
Leya Matalas
You can, but if you want to add photos I like it simple- so limit it to one area of the wall and put them in a row/s. Same black frame.
    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 2:31PM
Studio NOO Design
I like the gallery wall idea with black frames and color on the opposite wall...maybe a fun runner too?
    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 2:40PM
L Star Murals
I think a mural of silhouetted trees would look fantastic and would not be too much across from a wall of thoughtfully placed family photos. The mural is definitely something we can do, if you are interested. :)
    Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 6:05PM
carolins
1 Like    Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 11:49PM
Interior Style Solutions
What about painting the doors black and add these small round rugs all the way down the corridor?
4 Likes    Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 12:18AM
Wallpapered
Love the idea of the tree murals! I would suggest placing it on the larger wall on the left so the trees look like they are growing upwards in the light from the window opposite. Hopefully that should add some space to the room and will make a great feature of the door. Also, add a few frosted glass wall lights along the same wall. You can buy lights that fit closer to the wall and wont take up valuable space. Hope this helps!
    Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 2:57AM
Beverly Anderson Interior Design
I love the idea of the small, round rugs...great with sharp contrasting black and white.
    Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 3:39PM
palindrome388
I would do some kind of board and batten like this but make yours taller since you have higher ceiling http://www.younghouselove.com/2013/02/winter-pinterest-challenge-board-batten-baby/
1 Like    Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 8:20PM
Tanya Staats-Ponich
Black doors ?
    Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 9:08PM
hoffycom
We added some waistcoating and some wall paper.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 6:01AM
Light In Art
We make unique contemporary stained glass lightning and wall lightning. Very warm and original. Visit our website at www.lightinart.com to see some options.
    Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 1:15PM
Ashley Hill
i love black and white and have the kind of hall way as you but mine is much smaller not much light i have painted wallpapered everything and never kept any i am going to kep my walls white as with small children this is easy to keep fixing and im painting my doors black but to add a little vavavoom i want to add some kind of black and white wallpaper to them in a design and have mirrors up around the hallway i know what its loke in my head just hope it looks as good in my hallway i like to be different good luck x
at the moment i have black at the bottom of the wall and white at the top and on the far wall a mural of skyscrapers which as i turn the corner it goes down the hallway to the kitchen, im always changing things
    Bookmark   September 14, 2014 at 7:05AM
hayleysmith1977
Floor lights...
    Bookmark   September 14, 2014 at 8:19AM
Imperial Rugs
A long and narrow Persian handmade runner rug with mixed of natural dyed colours will for sure lift the ambiance of the area as well as its surroundings check below link for inspirations
http://www.imperialrugs.co.uk/antique-tribal-carpets/handmade-wool-persian-nasrabad-long-runner-449-93-1121.php
    Bookmark   January 22, 2015 at 5:54AM
Jade Brindley
I would combine the three photos and maybe add a dado rail across the Middle, on the top half you could have a solid colour and in the bottom half you could have a funky wallpaper
    Bookmark   last Friday at 2:42PM
Matthew
Bright colours with white woof work to break the colour up.
I've completed a bright orange hallway before, wit white gloss doors and skirtings/architrave
Incredibly brave but looked
Amazing
    Bookmark   on Sunday at 2:27PM
Genevive Chenny
A wide spec rectangular mirror with silver frame as it's going to make the narrow corridor looks bigger and spacious. Also, choose a variety of framed photos and small size art pieces. Put the little art pieces all together randomly. Voila! There you're gonna get a fun and interesting corridor :)
    Bookmark   on Sunday at 5:45PM
Luke Atkins
May be a Cesar Console table is a fabulous table for your hallway - from http://www.furnitureinfashion.net/cesar-glass-top-console-table-p-1813.html
1 Like    Bookmark   on Monday at 3:15AM
Manhattan Home Design
I think a side table or credenza would be a great addition to this space, perhaps with a mirror and table lamps (or sconces either side) here providing you with a little place to put keys, mail etc. Decorate this with a few choice photo frames adding a mirror above on the wall or a picture or two. A runner would also bring a bit of warmth to the floor, along with a coat hanger maybe by the door to place coats, scarves and other accessories for when coming to and from the home. I look forward to seeing where you go next with this, good luck :)
    Bookmark   on Monday at 1:59PM
Need To Find a New Rug
Hello Houzzers, I know you thought you were done with...
kimmie014
This or That: White VS Colored Ceiling
Which type of ceiling do you prefer? Plain white, or...
Jeannie Nguyen
OLLD 1/4
I'll do the honors this morning. I'm still drooling...
michigammemom
Stain or Pain Doors
Updated poll to get the overall picture in numbers...
tee8
We'd like to add some curb appeal to our 1980's vinyl-sided...
s19608
Feeding the workers: What's considered common courtesy?
This is an odd question but I thought I'd get good...
Kathleen Barco
Open floor plan paint
I am gutting my kitchen and thinking of putting in...
ekerby
Kitchen floor advice
Upcoming kitchen remodel. Going with Chestnut color...
S Johnson
New fence got rained on!
To be expected, I know, but I have a question about...
Leah
prep sinks
Planning a kitchen remodel and we're going to put a...
stosh55