Walnut flooring vs. oak flooring?
cathk99
What is your opinion on solid walnut pre-finished flooring vs. solid oak pre-finished flooring? I think I've finally decided on solid pre-finished wood (vs. sand-in-place), but am not entirely sure about the differences between these two woods (other than how they look!). What are your experiences/opinions? I understand that walnut is softer? How soft is soft? Any feedback is appreciated! Thank you!
ginale
I can only share that we have oak and they stand up to 50 pound dogs and lots of traffic with no problem.
April 29, 2013 at 7:46PM   
Ironwood Builders
Please check out this article on wikipedia regarding the Janko hardness scale and you can see the relative hardness of many different woods including oak and walnut.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test
April 29, 2013 at 7:52PM   
Oak & Broad
Walnut has a Janka hardness of around 1050 while White Oak is about 1300. If you have big dogs and active kids you may want to choose the oak over the walnut. Please make sure you prefinished product is of quality. Frankly there is a lot of prefinished/engineered junk being sold right now.
April 30, 2013 at 6:54AM   
Need Help Choosing Cottage Interior Paint Colours
We have a large window wall in our A-Frame cottage...
Bathroom Sink Faucet
We selected our master bathroom faucet to be the Kohler...
Help with frame color selection
Hi there, I'm needing some advise on selecting a color...
Living room dilemmas! I need suggestions
I've been struggling since I moved into our condo with...
Stone or hardwood laminate in kitchen
Hi everyone, Thanks for any and all help! I have...