Beadboard ceilings - should I paint them gloss or not?
alex201283
we are renovating an apartment at the moment, which has lovely beadboard ceilings. I dont know whether to paint them semi gloss or matt? I want them to be a bit of a feature, but not overwhelming, and not blindingly white!
Gantt's Decorating
I'm all about beauty and practicality. If you paint them with gloss, when it's time to repaint it will all have to be sanded before the next coat of paint. Even if for some reason I thought gloss would look better (I don't) I would paint it flat for practical reasons. Hope this was helpful. Bill
April 29, 2013 at 5:53PM     
Ed
Alex, how is the quality and condition of the wood in the beadboard ceilings? If the wood is very good quality and the grains are beautiful, I feel it's a shame to paint over it.
Calistoga Residence
Sugar Bowl Residence
The Method Cabin
Valley Lane house
April 29, 2013 at 5:58PM     
alex201283
Thanks Bill and Ed. It definately needs to be painted as new replacements boards have had to go in which are a different colour. You make a good point with the gloss and repainting. Forgive my ignorance, but how long would it be before I need to repaint them?
April 29, 2013 at 6:24PM   
Jayme H.
I would do a satin
April 29, 2013 at 6:28PM     
Dullea and Associates Inc.
Can you strip the existing wood and stain it a uniform color? On a different note I would like to suggest changing the existing handrail at the stair. This rail wants to have a contempory design and feel.
April 29, 2013 at 6:32PM     
Ed
Hi Alex, that's 3 people so far voting for staining instead of paint -- do you happen to have photos of the replacement boards ? :)
April 29, 2013 at 6:51PM   
Rockin' Fine Finish
Gloss on a wood ceiling is really nice is it practical no but it's more about your decor in how it will all come together if you can furnish the house right it can be very stunning
April 29, 2013 at 6:53PM     
alex201283
Thanks everyone! If you look at the second photo you can kind of see the ones that are new/ non matching in the kitchen area. Dont worry - definately changing the staircase - it will be stainless steel wiring with a timber hand rail. Whilst I like the stained idea, i think given the size of the apartment it will be too much. Plus one room has a false ceiling, so we want it to be uniform and white across the ceilings of the apartment. We have antique oak dark grey floorboards going in.
April 29, 2013 at 7:06PM     
alex201283
I found a photo - here is what we have to work with. as you can see some are already painted, which is why we think we will paint the whole lot.
April 29, 2013 at 7:14PM   
Rockin' Fine Finish
I would just paint it or if you have time strip the paint off and restain the ceilings
April 29, 2013 at 7:15PM   
alex201283
If I paint them with a satin finish will that show up all the blemishes etc. I just think they "deserve more" than regular white ceiling paint :)
April 29, 2013 at 7:23PM   
Rockin' Fine Finish
Satin will show less than gloss for sure if you are concerned about blemishes go with satin
April 29, 2013 at 7:26PM     
Dullea and Associates Inc.
Don't take this the wrong way but this is why pre planning is so important. I hate that you are making this decision at this point during construction.
April 29, 2013 at 7:31PM   
alex201283
we didnt really have a choice, where you can see the white boards and the replacement cross beam, there was a false ceiling in this area. This has obviously since been removed, and we were left with a section of no boards, a section of white painted boards, and the cross beam had been removed. So to make it structurally sound we have had to put in support posts, a replacement cross beam for the visual aspect, and obviously replace the boards that have been removed. The original boards are over 50 years old, and cannot be matched. If we could have, then we probably would have opted to stain the ceiling as many of you have suggested. But I guess thats part of renovating, you dont know what you have to deal with until you are in and working on the place.
April 29, 2013 at 7:40PM     
solraven
Yes! I started giving my ceilings some kind of sheen years ago, then I moved into a place w/ flat white ceilings, and they felt like they were closing in on me. Now I have all semi-gloss ceilings, including the patio, and can't imagine ever going back to flat ceiling paint.
April 29, 2013 at 7:44PM     
angelinaeve7
Sand it and spray it with satin oil based or lacquer, duh
April 29, 2013 at 7:46PM   
Jayme H.
No to flat!!
April 29, 2013 at 7:46PM     
Sharyn
My first choice would be a rich color as is already on there. Bright white would be very sterile looking. Perhaps a white wash look. Do you have to strip/sand all that wood? That is one very tedious job. Please post after pics.
April 29, 2013 at 7:52PM     
alex201283
not all of them need to be stripped, just some, the rest will just have a primer before painting.
April 29, 2013 at 9:30PM   
suzmue
I would go with a semi gloss
April 30, 2013 at 6:41AM   
Sharyn
Google "Painted beadboard Ceilings" images to get some ideas of a finished look. here are a few...gloss, matte and wood tone.
April 30, 2013 at 9:43AM     
solraven
The flat white ceiling looks like primer, to me, now. When I saw the other one, I said, "Oooooo....." out loud. :)
April 30, 2013 at 11:34AM     
joannpb
Satin or semi-gloss. Flat looks dead and gloss creates a huge amount of glare.
April 30, 2013 at 11:38AM     
Matte.
April 30, 2013 at 11:39AM   
Mona Ives
pearl or eggshell finish
April 30, 2013 at 11:45AM   
Sharyn
Also.....what flooring are you going with? Your choice in flooring could influence your decision very much.
April 30, 2013 at 12:37PM     
alex201283
we have chosen antique oak dark grey flooring - like this
April 30, 2013 at 4:02PM     
taurusbulba
I would choose an ivory satin, soft illumination, not harsh on the eyes, won't show imperfections like a gloss will and will go better with your floor color choice
May 8, 2013 at 4:20PM   
alex201283
thanks taurusbulba
May 8, 2013 at 4:34PM   
how woud you place furniture in a 11.5 x 29 ft room.
I have a large window at each end. I have a 5 ft opening...
Is the couch too big? Rug too small? What do I need to "finish" this?
I'm wondering if the couch in this living room is too...
kitchen colors
My boyfriends mom owns a trailer we are remodeling,...
How to decorate a Charleston Single
Just bought a newer (2008) home in the Charleston Single...
kitchen
I have a table that I am converting to a kitchen island...